Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My early RDB (SN ZOExx) had been running flawlessly since I purchased it new in late 2016, until yesterday at the range the gun jammed - all along I was getting the slight dimple in the expended brass cases, so I'm assuming that the gas was adjusted correctly. I took the gun apart this morning and bolt carrier weldment (part #322) was stuck in the receiver (part #410) - the pictures show what I found when I finally got it apart - I created a support ticket on Keltec's web site, and I'm hoping that they agree to have me send it in and fix the gun under the lifetime warranty, since I'm the original owner, but in the meantime, I'm wondering what could have caused the problem?? Any thoughts ??

Wood Household hardware Gun accessory Font Bullet

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Youre the first one I've seen break there.
Its a KT.
Its not an HK.
You're just the lucky one.

Buy KTs, enjoy them, love them.
Just keep a quality rifle available for your SHTF scenario.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
An RDB from '16 will have a lot of "upgrades" to go in.
The rear spring catch pawl was a fail point and unnecessary.
The new action spring will not be contained in the piston tube, it will extend out the back to a stop.

One mod I have found very helpful in my rifle is I stacked an additional PN 404 buffer in the rear. It provides more support for the spring rod to keep it centered, something that should be kept in place because it bounces around back there. Take out your top but plate screw and insert something that will pass through. You will see the rod has an inch of forward movement.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shipped the gun to KelTec on the 13th and they received it last week - and I got an email today that it had been repaired - I'm assuming that it'll be shipped back to me soon - I called and a nice lady who told me that they replaced the bolt carrier (the part where the two welds failed), polished the feed ramp, set the gas setting at +6, and test fired (all good) with 55 grain. I sent them an email and asked WHY it might have failed, especially since I've been shooting the gun and it's been reliable since I purchased it new in 2016 - we'll see what they say.

IamScottius - I don't understand what you're referring to when ya say "The rear spring catch pawl was a fail point and unnecessary. The new action spring will not be contained in the piston tube, it will extend out the back to a stop." - are you talking about part 319 and the piece about 2\3 of the way back on the rod assembly? The repair folks didn't say anything about anything being changed with that part when they repaired my gun.

Thanks !

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for explaining - I'm wondering if they used a later BCW without 321 and 323, and a different Action Spring Rod Weldment - I'll send them an email and\or call them on Monday. Thanks again for the detailed explanation!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts