BOING! Peened!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by KS.G36, Feb 24, 2008.

1. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Classic small spring out the guide rod hole. The ridge was barely detectable and didn't seem to surround the hole completely. Embarassing situation too. Was shooting with friends, one asked to try a mag through it and the spring popped out on his first shot. You can imagine the heehaws. So I guess I will call Kel-Tec tomorrow and try not to be a total a****** about it. >:(

I thought there would be more of a ridge, had planned on getting the washer put in to stop it. Guess not now! :(

Have to say the gun has been running good, it was right at 150 rds. when the SHTF. :eek:

2. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    they will take care of you, you should get the washer ;D

3. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

WHERE do I get this famous washer?

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Call KT and they will take care of it pronto. My slide was home waiting on me within a week and mine is HC. Try to be nice to the girl on the other end of the phone though...

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    It would be interesting if the washer would "Fix" a broken slide.

HOWEVER, since it is under warrantty I would get a new slide.

A memeber N_A_S has the washers for sale.  I think $5 for 10 ( to cover the handling expenses).
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1175020076/

Do you think you would want try one or just send slide back?

6. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

I will send back the slide .. disregard my PM.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'd box up the slide and barrel. They normally prefer having both in order to check fit, etc. Send it back with a note detailing what happened.

8. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Heh .. I think I deserve a set of springs 4 sure. The small one looks the worse for wear.  

I see someone removed my tougue-in-cheek review .. ;D

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    did you still want those washers

10. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Not if I'm not likely to need them .. don't want to jinx myself here. :)

11. Hicompression

Hicompression New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    This was a 1st generation P3AT right?....

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    No, it was a 2G.

The 1G has an insert in the end of the slide for the recoil guide rod penatration

However it was made during a period when there were several reported problems with bad slides

13. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    What is the S/N ?

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

15. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Dumb what if question? If this happens on a 1st gen, will they just send u the little slide in part?

16. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I suppose they could but I have never seen this happen on a first gen.  Only some 2nd gen guns made during the fall and winter last year, and then relatively few.  Enough however, that we will see one show up now and again.  There was one a month or two back.

17. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Has anyone determined the true extent of the peening problem in reference to serial numbers?

Is Kel-Tec still turning out the same slides that have/had this issue?

My S/N is JESxx and I've not seen the problem, but have put less than 100 rounds through it so far.

I do carry it as primary from time to time and I'd hate to have it go "BOING" if I really needed to use it in a crisis.

18. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

I noticed a tiny ridge beginning around the guide rod hole when checking the gun before shooting. It did not look as serious as some that are pictured elsewhere in this forum. Then I put about 40 rounds through the gun. Handed the gun to a friend at the range for him to try. The rest is as above. There is a washer mentioned else where in this thread that purportedly will stop the "peening" problem.

J5 & J6--- are the series this occasionally occured in, JES-- should be recent enough not to worry.
    If you research this forum you will find a photo of a "thin" slide and a thicker one that replaced it. Comparing them to your gun might help you be more certain.

My P3AT is for back-up and I will (for now) be carrying a Glock 19 (9mm) with Win. Ranger LE +P ammo. More shots in the primary that way. My usual Primary is a Glock 36 (.45) with 7 in mag & 1 in the chute. Fed HST LE +P.

19. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I has the same thing starting to happen to mine. I purchased a steel washer, the smallest flat washer I could find, about 5 cents. hand ground it down and increased the size of the center hole a just so I could get the pin through it. Then at the range with the first mag. of rounds the slid stuck open on me. What happened was that the hole was still too small for the rod in the back position and stuck. As I finished my time at the range it was not sticking any more, the rod had worn the hole to a size that allowed everything to work great. I just need to watch when I clean so as not to lose it. It worked very well. :)

20. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

I'd rather have a slide that is stronger in front .. decided against the washer option for now. If I get a new slide that is no thicker in front, then I will get a few washers on hand.