Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Bobcats.... got a story...

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  IslandTimes 
#1 ·
My buddy had a Bobcat in his backyard the other day here in FL....he decided not to let his small dog out that night.

[edit]Edited to change title and splice to bobcat thread-Burley[/edit]

#2 ·
My brother shot a bobcat just outside the city limits years ago, and had it stuffed.

Put it in a trunk and moved to Wisconsin.  When he finally got around to unpacking it, it had been chewed up by bugs and stuff.  What a waste.  It was a nice cat too.

But I never thought about bobcats attacking dogs.  But then again, I don't really live near too much wildlife.

[edit]split from the picture thread and title edited by Burley[/edit]

#4 ·
My brother in law came out to our farm to fish on the creek one summer. He and my kids went down and sat on the bank and were enjoying a nice warm day . My dog Charlie ,a 110# german shepherd/black lab mix went down to check on them. She walked right past them 6' or so and pounced in the brush and jumped a bobcat  :eek:  Brother in law never came back fishing  ;D

#5 ·
I hear we have bob cats where I live, but never seen one, but I lose a dog or two  every year or two to a wild animal attack, never manage to get close to a dog, because it seems I am replacing dogs too often.

I hear the "baby" crys at night on occasion, & 2 doors down, which is over 1/2 a mile my cousin wife likes the small dogs, lap type, & they get "eaten" they cant defend themselves. They tell me they have seen bobcats, but they have mostly open yard, where I have huge amount of woods & boulders, growth. I cant see over 30 feet out window, & I usually carry a gun when I am outside, plus the fact I live where bears are, & my land joins 3,700 acres of state land.

this year I lost an akita mix, as well as a black lab, plus one of their babies, last year 2 blue heelers, one had face nearly ripped apart, but managed to crawl under his favorite junk car to die, the heelers lasted a little over 2 years.

Randy

#6 ·
shinsei said:
Damn, I guess I don't know much about bobcats.  

Now to do a little research.
I just did some, I guess I answered my question I posted in the tree rat section, I dont hear them much, but sometimes I hear their crys, & since they climb trees & eat squirrels, well I guess I know why my squirrell population is non existant with a huge surplus of acorns. I was thinking about the snakes, but not about the bobcats, because I have never personally seen one here but know they exist. & my cousin has seen them & he lives 2 doors down or about 1/2 mile.

Randy

#7 ·
My grandfather told this story...  

He and his buddies were hunting squirrel, and one of them took a shot at a bobcat with his .22.  It grazed the cat's skull, knocking him out.  

One of the buddies got an idea, and dumped the snoozing bobcat into an old suitcase he had in the trunk of the car, and left it out on the side of the road.  They pulled down the road a bit and popped the hood, acting like they were having engine trouble.  

After a bit, an older car came along .  It pulled over, someone jumped out to grab the suitcase, and the car pulled off.  Not more than 50 yards down the road, the car emptied itself of human occupants, not even coming to a complete stop.  Once the car rolled to a stop, the bobcat casually strolled out of the car and back to the wild.

Then again, my grandfather told a lot of stories.

(PS: Thanks to Burley for cleaning this up. My bad.)

#8 ·
If that's true that freaking hilarious! Heck, it's hilarious even if it's not true. LOL!

We went to the Wildife Refuge about 35 min away from the city. There were all sorts of animals running around. Well after seeing turkey, alligators, deer and a few wild hogs I finally got to see a live bobcat. They are freaking huge! Of course I didn't get a good look as it ran almost as soon as I saw it. But still cool.

#9 ·
 Couple on the wall... The head mount came from my Brother's back yard (4.5 acres) while I was deer hunting. Had not seen deer that morning and that was not normal. Saw something moving at the ground level and realized it was a Bobcat marking a tree stump. Arrow went through shoulder on my side and hip of opposite side. The game tracker line I was using is the only way I could have found that "kitty". It was up under a pile of brush. The game tracker line had cut it from the hip all the way up it's spine. Awsome will to live.
The other full mount came from a Friend's hunting lease.... .223 AR. The morning sunlight caught it sneaking along the edge of the heavy woods. From my tree, all's I had to do was wait for an opening.

As a younger feller I was sat on a tree stump to watch a fence line by my X father-in-law. Kept getting an uneasy feeling like someone watching me...You know...the hair on the back of your neck feeling. Slowly turning my head I realized a Bobcat was watching me...crouched and prepared to pounce if it had found it's prey. Standing quickly and sceaming at it... it bounded for the woods ASAP. I said screaming because that's what I was told I sounded like....A little girl.
I have never used that raccoon urine on my clothing since...

#10 ·
scamp_daddy said:
 Couple on the wall... The head mount came from my Brother's back yard (4.5 acres) while I was deer hunting. Had not seen deer that morning and that was not normal. Saw something moving at the ground level and realized it was a Bobcat marking a tree stump. Arrow went through shoulder on my side and hip of opposite side. The game tracker line I was using is the only way I could have found that "kitty". It was up under a pile of brush. The game tracker line had cut it from the hip all the way up it's spine. Awsome will to live.
The other full mount came from a Friend's hunting lease.... .223 AR. The morning sunlight caught it sneaking along the edge of the heavy woods. From my tree, all's I had to do was wait for an opening.

As a younger feller I was sat on a tree stump to watch a fence line by my X father-in-law. Kept getting an uneasy feeling like someone watching me...You know...the hair on the back of your neck feeling. Slowly turning my head I realized a Bobcat was watching me...crouched and prepared to pounce if it had found it's prey. Standing quickly and screaming at it... it bounded for the woods ASAP. I said screaming because that's what I was told I sounded like....A little girl.
I have never used that raccoon urine on my clothing since...
I can only imagine what I would have done if the dern thing had actually pounced on me! HA!

#11 ·
I live about 25 miles south of Dallas,Texas,out in the country.My neighbor told me yesterday that there is a big bobcat around here and not to put my little dog out by himself(toy poodle).He said you know that great pyrenees that my other neighbor has and I said yes.He said that cat killed him the other day.It was the biggest cat he had evere heard of.Don't know if its true or not.

#15 ·
Couple years ago me and a bunch of buddies were doing our annual Christmas hunt weekend get together thing. Came back from the evening hunt and was cleaning up when one of the guys just walked up out of the darkness from nearly the complete opposite direction where we'd all been hunting. Thought he was dragging a deer behind him, so I was really surprised when it turned out to be a bobcat! Said he'd tracked it across the property, which was crazy because he'd literally blown the cat apart when he'd shot it... thing just didn't want to die!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.