blown gun Christmass eve.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by crazylegs, Dec 25, 2007.

1. crazylegs

crazylegs New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    I am kind of shook up.  The Kel-Tec 3AT is my first small automatic hand gun and I was very exited.  I shot 250 rounds through the gun and was having a good time learning to shoot it accurately. I clean and lube after every range trip after 50 rounds.  I was having some problems with it jamming and was trying diffrent ammo.   ....#####  Then it was a mess in my throbbing hand. It just blew up in my hand.  The barrel is half gon the Slide is 2 inches wide and the triger gard is blown off. My hand is a mess.  I dont know how to atach pic's or I would.  This is my first time on.  What direction do I go with this.  Thanks Russ

2. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    Hi Russ,

Sorry to read about your problems, but there are many reasons why this could have happened. This could have been the result of a squibbed round, a round that had too much gun powder causing excessive pressure, a deformed round or one that may have had a microscopic fracture in the casing of the cartridge. Of course, this could also be the result of a weapon malfunction. Can you inform us what brand of ammo you were using? Was this ammo quality manufactured ammo or was it reloads? If the damage was caused by the ammo I would definitely give the manufacturer a call, and in anycase I would definitely give KelTec a call ASAP after their Christmas vacation which ends January 7, 2008. Even if the malfunction was caused by faulty ammo I would dare say KT will still fix your pistol free of charge. They are that kind of company. I hope I have been of some kind of help. I know others will be along during the day to give you more help. Merry Christmas and I hope your hand gets well.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/

3. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Oh my god! I'm so sorry to hear about your hand (and gun)! If you send me your pictures via email, I will host them for you on here. I'm send you a message with my email address.

-mg380

4. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Merry Christmas Russ. Welcome to KTOG, wish it could be under better circumstances.

As KelTecKajun said get in contact with KT when they are open again. I'm sure they will want you to return the gun to them.

We'd love to see some pics. Posting pics here requires that they are hosted on a different site, like photobucket or someplace similar. Photobucket will resize the pics for you when you upload them there.

Here is a link to a thread about posting photos here.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115586716

Hope your hand is ok.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Sorry to hear about such and experance, especially Chirstmas morning.
    Does your hand need medical attention?

Like KTCajun and Zeke, KT won't open till Jan 7.

Keep all the pieces of the gun
    Keep the remaining ammo and the box
    Try to write brief statement with jsut the facts concerning the blow up AND your medical needes, even if it is just soaking and aspren.

6. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Wow. A catastrophic failure.

I definitely hope your hand is uninjured.

7. Powerkicker

Powerkicker New Member

May 31, 2007
    I'm very anxious for pics of this! ;)

8. nuggett

nuggett New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Its very unusual for a gun to blow in this manner that is not related to ammo. It sounds like an out of battery "malfunction" due to a poorly seated bullet or primer. My glock 19 once blew a case which was a very poor reload from the rangemaster. Destroyed the mag only, and stung my hand. i hope your injuries arent serious and the cause is found.

9. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    my taurus had a kaboom, blew only the mag apart.

determined to be out of battery fire due to bad ammo.

it is rare for a handgun to blow apart

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I hope you heal quickly. I have never seen a blown-up gun, and look forward to pics. If you can email photos, post that and I will host them.

11. crazylegs

crazylegs New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Thanks for responding. My first finger is brused but feels much better today. I think it is fine just alittle stiff. I have sent some pics to Lagerbrewer so he can post them for me. Again thanks for responding. A shot 250 rounds using Fedral, Remington, and American Eagle and all were jamming one or two times on every magazine. Then it began to jam on every shot and I went home to clean the gun. When I was home cleaning the gun I found the screw that holds the extractor spring in was loose so I tightened it and went back out to shoot and try the diffrent Ammo(Wolf). I shot one mag of American Eagle with no problems or jamming. I was excited, then I loaded a mag of Wolf and blew the first shot. Crazylegs P.S. What's a troll?

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Glad to hear no stiches were needed.  I just envision a "Tim Allen" type visit to the ER.

Now for the Wolf, do you know if it was brass or steel casing?

The concensus of the majority here have a saying "commy ammo for commy guns" and do not recomend Wolf in any fashion.  I don't recall how hot wolf is loaded Maybe some other will add that latter.  

Also, is it possible that was short 9mm russain instead of 380ACP?
    EDIT From the photo's I see the box is 9X17, but keep that spent case to go with the gun back to KT

13. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    crazylegs, I'm sorry to read about your catastrophe and glad to know that you're relatively unscathed. I too hope to learn if you can determine the cause of this.

Concerning Wolf ammo, I've shot through several boxes of it in my P3AT with no problems except some more fouling than most other brands. Subjectively (I don't have a chrono to get real data), I've found the Wolf to be accurate and consistent, but perhaps I just got some better than average boxes. Here's the stuff I've shot:

http://www.wolfammo.com/bs_pistol_380auto9x17.htm

But now I'm definitely not putting any more in my gun until the cause of this blow-up is determined. Please keep us posted and I wish you a speedy recovery!

14. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I have see pictures of your P-3AT posted on GlockTalk. The only time I have ever seen that kind of wreckage was when a slug from the previous round was stuck in the barrel.

Box the gun, spent cartridge and a letter of explanation then send it to Kel-Tec and there’s a 99% chance they will send you a new pistol even if it was bad ammo. They may also want the box the ammo was in, as the ammo manufacture might need to be consulted. Also let them know the brand of ammo you shot just prior to the Kb and whether you saw a hole punched in the target with that prior round. When Kel-Tec reopens January 7th from their holiday break (1-800-515-9983), ask if they will send you a UPS pick-up ticket to save you the cost of shipping.

Wilson – who’s hoping your finger feels better soon :-/

PS here are the picture links from GlockTalk

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/...P3AT kB/?action=view&current=100_1978.jpg

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/...P3AT kB/?action=view&current=100_1970.jpg

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/...P3AT kB/?action=view&current=100_2010.jpg

15. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    How about a link if nothing else.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I find it hard to believe.....Your hand is not seriously hurt

17. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
  18. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    IMO, looks like case rupture, bullet probably stuck, and next round went right up into it.

The handgun did what it was supposed to do, and that is evident by the fact this shooter still has his hand, even given the size of this little hand cannon.

Something to be said for that. I am glad you are not more seriously injured. KT will almost undoubtedly make this right, even if ammo related.

19. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Sorry to hear that. I'm glad the injury wasn't worse.

Were you wearing shooting glasses? A glove?

--Plex