Blazer Ammo in P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by FF88, Feb 25, 2010.

1. FF88

FF88 New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Can I use Blazer aluminum 380 cases in my P3AT? I cannot locate anything in the owner's manual stating you cannot?

2. samwathegreat

samwathegreat New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Aluminum & steel cased ammo are not recommended for the P3AT.

3. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    +1, nor any Kel-Tec.... or any smallish pistol... or any gun really ;D

GL

4. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Back in the summer, when .380 ammo was almost non-existent, a local shop here scored a bunch of Blazer alum .380. I bought a case. $340. There seems to be a lot more around now, but it's $30/50. $600/case and that's Aguila Mexican ammo.

I don't shoot my KT .380 a whole lot, but have never had a single issue with the Blazer. Gone through about 300 so far. The worst that could happen, I guess, would be to break an ejector, but KT will send me a free one if I ask. A $.03 piece of bent steel.

Word on the street is that the shelves will fill again soon with .380 ammo. We'll see about that. In the mean time, shoot what you can get and enjoy. I like Blazer. It's a Speer/CCI offering. I've got it in all calibers. If I have ammo issues in any of my guns, it's usually WWB or the exotic - $1.50 each crap.

5. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    I've also used blazer brass and alum cases in many diff. cal. with no problems. Try it for yourself then make up your mind.

6. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Just to add, I've run Blazer alum of all calibers through Glock, Taurus, Kahr, Colt, Beretta, Tanfoglio, Hi-Point and P11, PF9 and P3AT without 1 single ammo related issue.....

7. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I ran a bunch of it through my P3AT. Not a problem. I never saw anything anywhere (except on this site) about not running it through the P3AT. At the time it was the only 380 I could find so I bought a case. Still have about 800 rounds.

Should I look in to selling it?

8. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Ran fine for me...stay away from steel tho ;)

9. Zip196

Zip196 New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoFL

I'll get rid of that garbage for you. I won't even charge. I'll even cover the shipping. I just hate to see people stuck with crappy ammo.

I kid.

But let me know if you want to sell it.

:cool:

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I agree with GoldenLoki. I refuse to use it in any gun I own. When I was younger and just getting into handguns, I bought some in .357 Mag to use in a GP100. Extraction was almost impossible. I gave the rest to my brother and won't buy any again.

11. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    +1
    My SP101 hates the stuff. Every time a few cases will stick in the cylinders, never fails. As far as KT guns try to stay clear of anything that doesn't have a brass case. I have shot Wolf ammo in my P11 when that was all I had and it never gave me any problems, but that was maybe a couple of mags worth of stuff. Blazer is just as bad IMHO.

12. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    come to think about it i have never shot any of it in any of my guns. but if i find some 380 blazer ammo cheap i might try a box. i don't see where it can hurt a gun. if it did they would have many law suites and would not be in business.

13. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I have shot hundreds of rounds of Blazer aluminum through my P-3AT with never a problem. For some time now I have been using it as my inexpensive range fodder. After I had shot a lot of aluminum with no trouble I heard of a few problems with aluminum, though I don't remember what they were. Didn't matter to me, because by then I was comfortable with it.

Bottom line - for range ammo I'll use what works well and is inexpensive (except for STEEL cased).

Just my take - to each his own...

Bobo

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The owner's manual says to only use "standard" ammo. Of course that may be open to interpretation. We have been told more than once by Kel-tec employees that, among other things, they consider that to mean brass-cased ammo. There is a specific admonishment in the sub-2K manual not to use aluminum cased ammo in that blow back operated carbine.

I have never purchased any Blazer aluminum ammo. However, I did run a couple of mags through TxBullDude's PF9 at a Bayou Blast with no issues. I won't buy any simply because I have plenty of brass-cased stuff and currently have no problem finding more. If the Apocalypse comes and that's all I can get, I'll use it. However, steel cased ammo is a different animal. That only goes in my com block guns that were designed for that stuff. ymmv :)

15. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    +1
    My SP101 hates the stuff.  Every time a few cases will stick in the cylinders, never fails.  As far as KT guns try to stay clear of anything that doesn't have a brass case.  I have shot Wolf ammo in my P11 when that was all I had and it never gave me any problems, but that was maybe a couple of mags worth of stuff.  Blazer is just as bad IMHO.[/quote]

ask goldenloki and burley about what it did to my ruger redhawk in kansas last summer. it took an hour to get the gun working right after just 5 rounds, and that is a freaking redhawk.

YMMV. use what you want .. it is ultimately your gun.

16. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    The owner's manual says to only use "standard" ammo.  

Of course that may be open to interpretation.  [/quote]

I interpreted that to mean not + P ammo

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If that were the case, they would say "standard pressure" and actually, they do address +P ammo specifically:  "The P3AT will accept +P ammo, however, not with continuous use."  In and of itself, this is a little strange since there is no such thing as (no standard for) +P in 380 acp.  The few manufactures who put that on their boxes are essentially using it as a marketing tool.

What they say about non-standard ammo is:  "Use only commercially manufactured, clean, dry and in good condition.  Never use non-standard, reloaded or damaged cartriges.  Never use ammunition where pressure levels exceed industry standards."  As I said earlier, we have been told more than once by folks at KT that they consider anything other than brass-cased ammo to be "non-standard."  However, bear in mind that every disclaimer in every gun manual out there is probably boiler plate lawyer speak.  

18. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i will NOT use it in ANY KT. i have some bimetal cased 9mm, but it won't go through my P11. i shot a bunch in a beretta 92 and a tarus 92 look alike last fall and it's fine. i shoot steel/aluminum in AKs all the time, and don't have issues shooting it in a full size handgun (XD/glock/etc).

however, if ya can find blazer brass, i shoot a LOT of that stuff, it ain't bad. not real accurate, but it always goes bang.