Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about starting a new topic - about something so specific - its Sunday afternoon I am am a little bit lazy.

Has anyone tried the Black Hills Ammo?

I am ordering a few extra magazines for my M&P 40 and the place (Midway) - has it in stock - since I am aleady ordering other stuff the shipping is not that much.

The cartridge is a 90 gr JHP that is showing 1,000 FPS and 200 Ft pounds - its "only" $23.99 for a box of 50.

I almost boght some DPX at the gun show yesterday - $21.65 for a box of 20 - not sure if it was the HIGH price that stopped me or that they only had 2 boxes - not even enough to do a good reliability test.

Looking for a replacement for the Winchester Silver Tips.

G

·
zbill, I would think if ur weapon is running perfect before you test with the dpx that 40 rounds would be more than enough for reliability. I thinkI would even stop at 33 rounds and load my 24/7 carry mag with the other 7 and feel very comfortable about it. FWIW.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have read nothing but good reviews about Black Hills ammo. It's quality stuff in all calibers, and seems to be loaded hot. $24 for 50 rounds of .380acp is a pretty good price compared to other premium rounds. For a while, Black Hills was using the Speer Gold Dot bullet, although they are now using a Winchester HP. As long as Mirage Technologies keeps offering the Gold Dot line at such amazing prices in 50 round boxes, I'll keep buying there. But, I'll be definitely trying the Black Hills line at a future date.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
sorry, I misunderstood, my bad...working on the truck today...

the black hills is for you p3, the mags are the m&p....

if you want a few for the m&p, let me know, I have some unopened....

;D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rjhauser

I use Winchester Ranger T (RA40TA - 165 gr ) in the M&P 40 - don't see any reason to change - not many loads I can find are much better - and the M&P eats them like candy.

I am considering dropping Winchester in my 9MM - normally use USA9JHP - 115 gr JHP - its only $12 a box (of 50). (1225 FPS 383 FT pounds seems OK) - it is very mild to shoot in my PM9 - but think I will give the Black Hills ammo a try, +P 115 gr 1300 FPS 431 FT pounds should be about the most power the PM9 can handle.

Its the Winchester Silver Tips I have in the P-3AT that I really need to replace - I am starting to think of the P-380 as a BUG only - (rather than a primary) - I should stop watching the 10:00 news - the number of robberies - home invasions - murders - car jackings - always seems to spike this time of year.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
In the heat of summer sometimes the P3AT is the most you can carry and I often use it as a primary at such times. In the winter I carry a Kahr PM9 or P45 with the AT as a backup. Winter or summer the AT is my always gun. I have gone to Corbon ammo in my pocket pistols but I don't think the premium ammo makes a lot of difference. That said, I have heard nothing but good about the black hills ammo and would gladly use it if I couldn't get Corbon.

The bottom line is that any good ammo that is reliable in the gun will do fine if it the bullet is placed right but then you know that as well as I do.

You are right about the danger of the season. Stay safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.