Black Dog Mags With Stainless Feed Lips

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Liberty4Ever, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Has anyone tried the relatively new 26 round Black Dog magazines with stainless feed lips?

I was ordering some hard-to-find and expensive FNAR magazines recently and I found them at a good price at 44mag.com. While I was ordering them, I also saw that they had the new Black Dog mags that would fit my SU-22, so I ordered three of those as well. I haven't shot them yet, but I'm VERY impressed with the quality. I always thought most of the Black Dog mags were well designed and were built well. I had problems with the Skinny Mag that's since been discontinued and was disappointed when their customer service pretty much told me that those don't work very well and my new malfunctioning mag might work better if I disassembled it and shaved off some plastic. I don't think I should need to rework an expensive brand new mag that I had bought directly from Black Dog, but I've had good luck with the other Black Dog mags. Not perfect, but easily reworked and repaired when there was a problem, and generally well made.

This new mag looks awesome. The body is very stout and stiff (I got the black instead of smoked mags this time), the feed lips look indestructible, and the magazine followers are anti-tilt. The stainless feed lips aren't stamped sheet metal. They're apparently some sort of fused powdered stainless. I'm not sure, but it looks like the MIM (metal injection molding) process.

I haven't shot these mags yet, but from my experience with previous Black Dog magazines, both shooting and repairing them, I bet these will be THE magazines for the SU-22. I'll try to remember to update this thread as soon as I have some range time and real live shooting experience with them.

Has anyone else shot these mags? If so, what was your impression of them?

2. dead_shoot

dead_shoot New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Black Dog mags...

Yes, we picked one up at the local gun show. Only one as you need to make sure they perform before stocking them up. And of course we only have 10 round capacity out here in Kalifornia, but we have put a hundred or so rounds through her and really is nice!
    Next show... STOCK UP!:D

3. wynnstudio

wynnstudio New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Maryland
    I've been using them. Not a single problem with them.

wynnstudio

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I used my new stainless steel feed lips Black Dog mags a couple of weeks ago and they were 100%. I'm very happy with them so far.

5. little_airwolf

little_airwolf Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Is there any chance you can dremel out the stop pin on the 26 rounder and make it a 30+ rounder?
    Guess the stock one goes from 10 to 15 rounds!

6. DocNugent

DocNugent New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Seattle area
    Don't know about your plan, but there is now a 32-rounder being sold for $23.99. It's made by BlackDog and sold by tacticalinc.com at:
    http://www.tacticalinc.com/gen-iii-ar15-22lr-32-rd-br-stainless-steel-feed-lip-thumb-pulldown-p-2135.html

I ordered one yesterday to try with my SU-22C. Since I haven't seen any reviews on this forum, I'll post my impressions here after I've used it.

NEW DATA: It fits! I'll post again after I've fired it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  7. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    The 32-rounders (Gen III) worked well in my Kel Tecs, but were disastrous in my Nordic Components .22 lr AR-15 uppers. See my range report: http://www.thektog.org/forum/f89/3rd-generation-blackdog-magazines-range-report-196876/ That report is a year and a half old, so there may have been some revisions since then. They are now called 30 round mags. Maybe they have a different follower. Black Dog still has them on their site, but they say, and I quote, "The Gen III 30 round magazine will not work in the Sig 522 or KelTec SU22 & PLR22."

The cast stainless-lipped (X-Form, or Gen IV) have continued to be flawless in mine. The only issue has been some light surface rust(!) probably from loading them with sweaty fingers in the summer and not cleaning them off. See my range report:http://www.thektog.org/forum/f89/4th-generation-blackdog-mags-range-report-196874/

Right at the beginning of the current madness, I ordered a few more X-Forms, but they haven't arrived yet. Since my range report, Blackdog has released an improved follower for the X-Form mags, which they are providing free of charge. I ordered some for my mags. It's a long story and not really related to Kel Tecs, but due to a situation at Nordic Components, and the current political environment, I have ordered a Spike's Tactical 22 lr AR upper. Along with those followers, I ordered a couple of the billet aluminum mags. If a ban happens, I'll need some magazines that will last a very long time.

buzzsaw

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. DocNugent

DocNugent New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Seattle area
    Performed flawlessly at the range last week (as did the stock Kel-Tec 15 rounder)!

9. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Excellent! Doc

I don't know where they got the idea that they don't work in the Kel Tecs. They don't hold the bolt open, but, so what. Maybe we were both lucky.

buzzsaw