Black Chrome Slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
  2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Well this finish is not Black, but it looks better ;)
    [​IMG]

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Don't know where to get it done but here's some info on it.

http://www.natmetal.com/chrome.htm
    Black Chrome Plating:
    Black chrome is usually plated over bright nickel or matte nickel in the same manner as decorative chrome. Black chrome is not quite as hard or wear resistant as normal nickel/chrome and it is not lustrous. The finish may waxed or oiled to improve the final appearance. Black chrome offers high solar absorption and low emissivity useful in solar panel applications. It is also used for optical components, gun sights and components, lighting and plumbing fixtures and some automotive parts.

The post mentions "Diamond Black" as the slide finish, it seems to be popular on knives.

$125 here ...
    http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/CustomUpgrades.aspx

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I THINK what you're looking for is a boron carbide PVD coating,

Diamond Black Technologies, Inc.
    100-T Somerset Dr.
    Conover, NC 28613 0190 USA
    Tel: 828-327-7442
    Fax: 828-322-4636

5. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    [/quote]

Humm.. yeah that does look pretty nice already got a HC PF9 so I was thinking about something a little different but I will definitely consider it what's the cost?? Thanks

Tom j

6. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

I think I'd look for a blackened finish (if that's your choice) rather than the actual two or three step black chrome. If chrome gets dinged, it'll start to chip/peel. Holster/pocket carry will really wear on it...unless you plan to keep it only for display purposes...it's your gun though...

7. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    The price for Slide and Barrel is:

P3-AT $78.00
    PF9, P11, P357, P40 is $85.00

It includes minor flaw removal.

8. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say I probably have to see some pictures do they do work on firearms? Thanks to everyone that helped I'll find something say anyone know the finish on that Rohrbaugh I gave the link to?

Tom j

9. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

I believe the Diamond Black (DLC) is most commonly applied over a stainless finish. I don't know if it could be applied over a steel KELTEC slide, I don't see why not, but I'm hardly a metallurgist. Maybe you should contact the company.
    Both SIG and KAHR use the DLC finish over their stainless slides. I have a SIG 239 with that finish. It's not chrome in appearance though, more of a flat dull black, exactly what one would want to reduce glare.

10. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

Another possible finish to investigate is ARMOLOY. It's leaves a soft bead blasted stainless appearance. It's extremely hard and durable. The company has several plants in the USA. Here's their website, click on "Who we are" for a description.
    http://www.armoloycorp.com/are.html

11. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    It's actually more like a buffed Parkerized finish. It is an oxidized finish as opposed to a plated finish.

12. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Wow well I got a lot to go over definitely want it black I think the black chrome is out I guess what something really durable and I didn't know it was so fragile. Say guys I'm going to look for this article I found in G&A and handgun finises think it a couple of years old but I saw it a few months back laying around they had a lot of different ones will try to find it and post the results here. Thanks guys!

tom j

13. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say how durable is the boron carbide coating and what does it look like shinny matt or what? Thanks!!

Tom j

14. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Man, those Rohries are PEEEEERRRRRRRRTY!!! Good thing I decided a long time ago that looks don't matter. Of course, my wife believes that too, but for a different reason. :-/

-Matt

15. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

OH Yeah!!!!!!!!!! I know they are gorgeous! any idea what the finish is on the slide??? I l love them but believe it or not they have problems with the aluminum galling from friction will post links to pictures. LOVE THE FINISH anyone have a clue???

Tom j

16. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say what do you guys think about the Armor Tuff coating that Wilson combat applies had a S&W Sigma slide done a while back in black, how do you think the dark gray would look on the PTA3 on a black grip?? ;D

tom j

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/info_armor_tuff.htm

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If you google ARMOR-TUFF you'll get a lot of info on it and other "paint" type coatings.

Bobo

18. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Paint?? doesn't look like paint to me.

Tom j

19. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Paint?? doesn't look like paint to me.

Tom j
    [/quote]