Birds of a Feather

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by burley, Jan 19, 2011.

1. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Had a visitor in the back yard today;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jwash3rd

jwash3rd New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Is that a bald eagle? I see a few of them in the Rock River valley here in IL during the winter. Lots of them down by the Mississippi.

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Wish I knew for sure. When looking at young birds in a change of plumage it can be hard to tell. Pic is just too fuzzy but he does seem to have a rather large head and it is white. Redtails heads are a bit more dark, round and this was a very large bird. Saw him again yesterday but further off. Will keep the camera close and try again. There is an established eagle community about 20 mile east of here  :-/

4. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    It is funny just living outside Philadelphia, there is a nesting pair just inside the city limits and several nesting sites within a 1/2 hour drive. Saw one a few years ago carrying a squirrel over a residential area, and saw one while fishing in the Delaware river.

5. marcussho

marcussho New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Looks like a juvinile bald eagle. similar to the one that was in our yard eating a deer. sorry for the proof txt it's on my wifes website.

[​IMG]

6. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Back again yesterday morning but I couldn't get dig zoom to work  >:(
    I'll try to borrow a better cam for the weekend an see if I can get a pic to show more detail...

[​IMG]

7. illogicalmethod

illogicalmethod Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Isn't it when the best opportunities come, that murphy's law kicks in?

I'd also be inclined to tentatively say that's a bald eagle, but it's hard to tell for sure.

We have lots of different hawks and eagles in PA and when it gets warmer, I'm going to go birding sooner or later.

I'll try and start with the hawks/eagles that live right up the road from me and move from there.

For now, reposting a link to the video of the bald eagle I caught on camera, while I was fishing in Northern Ontario.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3cODvUUrtQ[/ame]

8. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Not sure this is the same bird, head is much darker, looking again the pattern on back looks the same :-/ Must have been a RT > this one looks to be a juvenile red-tail hawk
    Shot this pic with my phone thru a spotting scope at about 250-300 yards;
    [​IMG]

first bird pic for reference;
    [​IMG]