Big thumbs up for Keltec customer service!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by engineer88, Oct 24, 2008.

1. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I noticed just the other day that the head of my guide rod was starting to wear a V into it from where it seats into the barrel underlug (I think it is called?). It was actually looking a bit thinner on that side. So paranoid me decided to call about it, fearing it may eventually slip and cause a malfunction. The guy was super nice on the phone listened patiently while I bumbled about explaining it and said "it shouldn't be an issue but we will send one out to give you peace of mind."

I gotta tell ya, that made me a happy camper! So now I will probably put a couple mags through with the new one and then use the old one for the range until it falls apart. I will just use the new one to carry. :)

I had to share though and rave about how easy it was to talk to a live human being and get a better then expected outcome. If you ever have to call them rest easy that it will be a good experience!

2. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Guide Rod wear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two pictures of my guide rod.
    It appears that the head has two flat spots on it.
    I only have a few hundred rounds thru the gun.

Is this normal or should i call for a new rod.

There was just a post today frmo Engineer88 about his guide rod having a flat spot and sending for a new one.

Anyone else had any problems with this or heard of this?

3. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I just started a new topic after yours.

My guide rod has two flat spots on the head of it.

I also put pictures on there...

Will you take a look at the pictures and see if that is what yours looked like.

thanks.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Why not have them together since it is discussing the same thing ;)

It is NORMAL.

I took a round file and made mine slightly larger than what is worn, thenI have scribed a line on the outer head face so Im sure it is proper.

I would recomend always putting that spot against the barrel when replacing.  I guess if you keep rotating and shoot a lot the OD will be reduced

5. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yooper, mine was a lot like that except the straight lines met at a point. I clean mine after every range session, but I swear that snuck up on me. You can see in my signature how many rounds I have. I did actually rotate my current one when I put it in so the taper was in a different spot. Again, just paranoid. My fear was the lip of the head getting too thin and then it slipping.

These little babies really push the power limit for their tiny frame and parts. They are very well made to hold up as well as they do though in my opinion. I shoot a half a box or so every 2-3 weeks just to stay sharp with mine, but I imagine I will rack up the round count that way eventually. I am not worried about overall longevity though, I have seen many people on here as well as people I know personally that 2-3K or more rounds and their little buddy is still ticking. :)

6. Jerry_WA

Jerry_WA New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    My questions are: What is the guide rod rubbing against to make it wear like that? And is that part getting as much wear as the guide rod?

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :-?, the rod head makes contact with just two parts, the frame and the barrel

when you assembe the barrel/slide/spring the upper halve of the rod head is agaisnt the barrel.  when installed the rod head contacts the frame and the face of the rod leaves the barrel.  the head of the guide rod rest in the frame.  as the rod tilts during recoil the lower half of the head digs into the frame.  the frame being softer than the rod causes wear to the frame.  the barrel moves back and down as indexed by the cam slot in the lug, but with the clearances around the assembly pin the barrel can go down far enough to make contact with the upper halve of the rod head.  the rod steel being softer than the barrel causes the rod to wear and polish the barrel at contact area.

once a shallow concaved surface is milled into the frame for the head to "ball", the wear stops
    once a shallow concaved surface is grounded into the rod head for the barrel to slide over, the wear stops.  unless the rod is rotated during reassembly, then it just reoccurs at each position

8. Jerry_WA

Jerry_WA New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Thank you VERY much, JFB! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]Such clear, concise, and detailed answers are rare in my world! :-?

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    so, in my opinion, the wear is actually a complicated precision machining operation contributing for the reliable operation of the pistol, thus being part of the "break in". by knowing the mechanism occuring, you can aid (and minimized) the process by replacing the rod head the same each time