Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to be a nurse. I tried going to nursing school several years ago, or rather, attempted it, but could never do it because I needed to work full time to support Elizabeth and Jackson. Being a single mother at the time just did not allow me to pursue that dream.

As most of you know, I was able to graduate college having received my MBA in 2008 and my MS/P in 2010. I am a college advisor and have been for the past seven years and truly enjoy helping people achieve their goal of furthering their education, however, I've always felt something was missing in that aspect of my life.

After Jason's recent hospitalization, my need to help people in that manner grew stronger. I looked at some nursing schools around our area and managed to find one that allows a student to go full time at night! I couldn't be more excited! It will be a tough 24 months to get it done, but I have the full support of Jason and the kids. I will still work full time and go to school at night four times a week, with clinicals being introduced after the first 10 months of school.

I haven't signed the paperwork yet as we have a few bugs to work out, but I think this is a great opportunity and look forward to the challenge!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Nursing can be a great career. Been married to an RN for almost 35 years...

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Go for it Kat, do what makes you feel good about yourself. Take me for example, I love being an aluminum contractor, creating something. My favorite hobby until I hit the lotto:D

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Kat, for what it is worth, you have my full support also. All the trully fine people I meet over the last 12 years that were taking care of my wife just amaze me. I remember one old battle ax of a lady that had poor bedside manor, but she was an overnight icu nurse, and about a second and a half of watching her told you your loved one was in very good hands. I could easily list a bakers dozen of fine nurses. I could not name one that I was not impressed with. Not one. Not to over generalize, but many doctors get into it for the money and the prestige. No one goes into nursing for those reasons. They go becasue they truly care about people.
If you want to do this. Do it. If there is anything I can do from the north Georgia woods, let me know and I will.
Take care, and god bless,
Lop

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
congats that is a very nice thing you are doing hange in there the time will pass very fast

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Admit it Kat... You need a 12 step program for education addicts.

Seriously, follow your dreams. You can do anything you put your mind to. :cool:

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I have three daughters, all growed up .
youngest is 36, oldest is 43.
They are all VERY successful,.
As parents we encouraged them to allways follow thier dreams , and told them ,that there are no limits to what they could achieve.

I would tell you this, "If thats what you want to do , go do it"

You will succeed and be the happier for it, maybe not richer in money ,but happiness is more important.

Jim

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Go for it! Some of the finest people I've known have been nurses - starting with my Mom. Education is an investment in yourself. Whether or not you change careers, you'll be a better person for the effort you spend.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I have three daughters, all growed up .
youngest is 36, oldest is 43.
They are all VERY successful,.
As parents we encouraged them to allways follow thier dreams , and told them ,that there are no limits to what they could achieve.

I would tell you this, "If thats what you want to do , go do it"

You will succeed and be the happier for it, maybe not richer in money ,but happiness is more important.

Jim
Jim, I is only 41 ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank ya'll for the support, it means lot!

Dale, you have a number to that program :D

And for the record, I turned 38 a week ago. Jason will be 40 next month! And I still look great, dangit!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cajunwifey, I have never met you, but can tell that I like you! Go for it young lady!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! Your support, as always, means a lot. I am studying for my entrance exam now, and get my immunizations tomorrow. Woop!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife was a carhop at a drive-in when I met her,still in high school.She said she wanted to be a nurse..we married in Dec 1969 and she graduated from nursing school in the early 70s.She's worked ER,Pediatrics,ICU,Cardiac Unit,got 2 different home health/hospice organizations up and running and at present is office mgr for a woman oncologist.I'm proud of her..:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Kat. Congratulations. I do have a question though: Why not Medical School? You are obviously hard working and intelligent enough to do it. I mean no disrespect to Nurses btw. I was married to one and the college love of my life is one. Just that I'm an MD and would like to see you join our team, lol.

Your age doesn't matter btw. I went to med school with a guy who was in his forties when he entered.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Kat. Congratulations. I do have a question though: Why not Medical School? You are obviously hard working and intelligent enough to do it. I mean no disrespect to Nurses btw. I was married to one and the college love of my life is one. Just that I'm an MD and would like to see you join our team, lol.

Your age doesn't matter btw. I went to med school with a guy who was in his forties when he entered.
I can answer that, harry. Same answer why it's difficult for me to attend law school. We still have school-age children and the nearest medical school is an hour away. Kat also is the primary bread-winner in our household too. She makes twice what I make, as she should with multiple master's degrees. I am still working on my MBA for another year. I'd love for her to attend medical school, but for now, it would be a pretty hard path to follow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts