Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.k. they weren't mine. Capt'n Morgan came over to shoot 2 Rugers. He alrday had one stainless, Bisley 5.5" Super B. in .44 mag and he brought his new stainless, 4.5" New Vaquero in .44 spl. to break it in. The New Vaquero is a good bit lighter thabn the old Vaquero he has in .45 Colt. Also way lighter than the Stainless Bisley Super B. It is more the size and "feel" of a Colt SAA. Thinner black plastic grip, shorter cylinder/frame than the old Vaquero. Fixed sights. New model type action.

We fired both guns with what his son caled a cowboy action load. Think it was a bit more than that in .44 spl. It was something like 8 grains of Unique with a 240 gr. lead RN bullet at about 900 FPS. or so. Think that is a hundred FPS more than a standard cowboy load for the .44 spl. but he likes them that way. The Bisley was easy shooting with it. Recoil in the New Vaquero was more, but not bad. Other load was pretty stout with 17 gr. of slow buring H2400 powder, mag primer, 240 gr. SWC hard cast bullet, .44 spl cases. Stiff, but easy to handle in the Bisley. Very stout in the new vaquero with the skinny plastic grips. The sharp checking might turn your hand into hamberger after alot of it.

I tried some in my 4" Smith 629, O.K. enough as I usually shoot a grain or 2 more in the magnum case. Maybe around 1100 FPS with their load.His kid had a 50th Anny Ruger .357 bored and rebarreled to .44 spl when they first came out and that is what he shoots out of it.

The Capt'n also brought along his CZ rifle in .22 Hornet. Can't rememer the model. Little rifle, finally got a scope on it after 3 years or so. Said he had bought a case of ammo at some discount store, and gun was bore sighted. Benched it and it put 3 rounds for me 1" high and 2 to the left. Made the windage adjustment for 100 yds. and left the elevation alone. That was enough for Sat. afternoon. But I let him shoot my recently aquired Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. He liked it a bit too much. Offered to take it off my hands, for his son of course. Got into some brisket, tortillas, beans, tater salad and Crown and Cola after that. And of course alot of gun B.S.

This morning we broke out the .380s. He had brought his Walther PPK. It has pretty stout recoi. I was shooting a couple of Bersas. Just for fun, I let hem shoot the Hungarian PA-63 in 9 Mak so he could see than the recoil on the Walther was not really that snappy. He was shocked at the amount of recoil that the PA-63 put out. He did not like the horrendous DA trigger either.

He also had a 4" Ruger stainless MKII. So we got into shooting some mini steel animals I have specially for the .22s at longer ranges. They are o.k. but have to be manually reset. Gotta make some that swing and reset to save time and walking. I got to tinker with the feed ramp on the ISSC .22 a bit more. Also shot some with one of the Ruber MKII target models.

I let him put some rounds through the vintage Dan Wesson .357 I got recently. Gun has been consistantly accurate. with all factory stuff we tried and a few .38 spl. handloads I tried.

I broke out the HK-91 clone after that so he could get a few rounds through it. Had to try some of the Wally World TulaAmmo I got recently to see if it shot to the same zero as the Rem FMJ stuff. It worked fine and accuracy was almost as good. Good for plinking anyway.

Made some "pico de gallo," chili and beans to go with the brisket for Easter. Wife made deviled eggs. Daughter and son finally showed up for dinner. Pretty good weekend except I never got around to zero the AR-15's new scope. Maybe tomorrow.

Hope you had a happy Easter.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The cowboy shooters usually load lighter so they can shoot faster without recoil and so on, same as the competition semi shooters who put in light springs and light loads. I think the 44 shooters here use 150-175 grain bullets and a fairly gentle load for it with whatever powder. It has to have some power to knock down all the steel targets they use, but anything with the power of a 9mm will do that (we borrow their targets for 3 gun and IDPA sometimes) so it does not have to be a magnum loading.

Sounds like a fun time for all.

Wish you were closer, I would let you try my single action makarov. We made a new trigger bar in the machine shop at work, shorter, so the trigger is sweet but doing that removed the double action capability. Makarov is one of the stoutest blowback guns and it shows in the recoil sometimes. A few tried it in 9mm but by and large anything bigger than mak is too much for blowback esp in a smaller gun. I mostly shoot lighter handloads in mine, 5 grains of AA #5 and a typical mak bullet (95 grains give or take a little). I guess those are medium loads. A truly light load would use 380 data.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Made some "pico de gallo," chili and beans to go with the brisket for Easter. Wife made deviled eggs. Daughter and son finally showed up for dinner. Pretty good weekend except I never got around to zero the AR-15's new scope. Maybe tomorrow.

Hope you had a happy Easter.

Hey Pancho, I couldnt resist this....
I bet there was a lot of noise after the chili and beans, and deviled eggs, I bet the shootin and Tootin , got really good, without a gun in sight.:D:D
The kids love it when they pull my finger.:D:cool:

Sounds like a really fun day.

Jim

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey jonin,

The Makarov pistols are hefty and easy shooting. I had a nickle IJ-70 Russian with the adjustable sights for a few years. It was in .380 and had much less felt recoil than one in 9 Mak that my son had. It is a good bit thicker than the PA-63 also. Should have bought the one that a guy had at the last show. It was a blue Russian with fixed sights in 9 Mak. He wanted 250 for it and I would not go more than 2 on it. Probably won't shoot the PA-63 mcuh at all or even carry it. Got my Bersa beater for that.

Hey fido,

We blamed the Doberman for all the gas in the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts