Bicyle Carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Thx-1138, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 New Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Looking for something I can carry while riding a bicycle. Yes, full lycra kit.

For winter commuting, it's not been a problem to carry my subcompact Glock in a belly band or Tommy's Gun Pack.

The Glock prints badly through a jersey, but since it's cold I'm always wearing a jacket, so it doesn't matter.

The TGP works fine, as long as I stay in an upright riding position. Warmer weather where I want to cut down on wind resistance, and I have no solution.

So, I was thinking... something THIN enough so it doesn't print through a lycra jersey (not skin tight), and something light enough that it'll stay in a jersey pocket (in an appropriate holster - custom if required).

One thing while cycling you don't want is a belt cinching around your midsection. You get really bendy around that part, depending on your current position on the bike.

So, here I am, trying to learn everything there is to know about KelTecs.

2. kcmtnbiker

kcmtnbiker New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have a Pistol Wear Trump Card (http://pistolwear.com/) that I like petty well.  While I haven't tried it yet on my mountain bike, seems like it would work.  It fits around your chest with the pistol under your arm and the shoulder harness keeps it from sliding down.  It may try to rotate some if you are in an aggressive riding position unless you really cinch it down.  Just a thought.

I trimmed mine down a little since it is a little large for our little Kel-Tec.  

3. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    I saw some pocket holsters with a full flap covering the pistol. It'll print as a wallet.

I was also thinking of a more general use fanny pack like the tommy gun pack that would also hold my wallet and assorted pocket litter for longer rides. Put it on the handle bars or something when riding. Right now I just put on some gym shorts and go.

4. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 New Member

Mar 9, 2011

From watching their video on their main page, it looks like they're wearing it a bit like I wear my SmartCarry while I'm riding - that is, higher than you'd normally wear a SC.

It also seems that the guy has zero trigger discipline. If they can't show a guy drawing without his finger on the trigger, then... well, I guess I'm not in their target market.

5. spark

spark New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'd sweat like a flownder at a fish fry :-X
    I've also looked for a method for bike riding with my family. This guy is jogging upright.... wouldn't work for me all bent-over-like. Perhaps we're asking for the impossible?

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  7. jfnixon

jfnixon New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I use the Pistol Wear PT-One while running and casual road biking. I don't do trail riding, but I do run several miles each session. The PT One is very comfy and doesn't print at all. The gun stays dry, and the spare mag pouch has a hard plastic liner as well as the waterproof fabric. Weapon retention is great. The fabric is soft enough that it is easy to make enough room to get a secure grip before withdrawing the p3at. Just drop your CCW in and you are good to go. I have no problems at all with it.

Pistol Wear sent a refresh patch for the velcro 'buckle' (just a velcro overlap) since mine is one of the earlier models. The web site says the newer model has a snap buttons to prolong the life of the PT-One. If mine wears out, I'd get another one. I'm just a satisfied customer.

8. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Re: Bicycle Carry

For summer rides here in Arizona, your favorite Fobus paddle holster can't be beat.  I do not wear bibs, so the drawstring shorts waist retains the paddle well.  I have added a sweat guard.  It's just half of a polypropylene CD case with the edges smoothed.  I pulled the Fobus rivets, sandwiched the flat circular guard between the holster itself and the paddle, and installed aluminum replacement rivets.

It is very comfortable and easy to get to, while keeping the pistol dry.  Yeah some moisture accumulates on the paddle and the guard next to your skin, but it's never been a problem.  Printing a little is not much of an issue around here, but with a loose jersey, which I prefer in hot weather, a P-3AT is not noticeable.

I often ride my mountain bike to the range with a full sized 1911 in a similarly modified Fobus paddle holster.  It's a little more noticeable and heavier, but comfortable for rides of a couple of hours.  If I find some time and there is interest expressed, I will take and post some pictures, but it's pretty simple.    :D

9. EnufIsTooMuch

EnufIsTooMuch New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    The DeSantis Super Fly is the pocket holster with a removable flap that makes it look like a wallet in a pocket. I use this one everyday and it works great!

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...ACTURER/KELTEC/P3AT/POCKET-HOLSTERS/Super-Fly

Problem is you do need a pocket . . .

If you have a light weight belt the gun weight is nothing. I like Cascade Holsters for their simple slide and belt clip models with retaining strap. I may simply wear hiking shorts and a web belt and a loose shirt over the gun:

http://www.cascadegunholsters.com

Both of those brands can be found on GunBroker at some savings. Perhaps on other auction sites too.
    I used to ride a great deal and am working my way back into it. So finding such a holster is going to be an issue too.

10. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
  11. dougc541

dougc541 New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    I ride 3 times a week, twice on trails and one road. Since i don't look so good in lycra, I carry mine in my shorts. Looks like you would just use a handlebar bag. But the handlebar idea has two drawbacks. If you're wearing lycra aerodynamic drag is probably important to you. Also, once a dog or bad guy has removed you from your bike, you and your gun could end up in different places.

12. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    I was thinking about the bike stuff, and I think the number one thing that will hinder any defense is being on your bike. If you're stopped with a bike between your legs, options are pretty limited, and if you're in a gun fight, you just better hope you can draw and fire quicker.

I was going to look at learning some "cyclocross dismount" techniques, which will let you dismount a moving bike, freeing up your body to move and your hands to draw or fight if close in.

Given this, I think it would be vital to have the gun on you, rather then on your bike.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I try to ride a few miles a couple times each week.  I'm not a hard core rider - purely a little exercise and stress relief.  I ride around my residential area or on a nearby asphalt bike trail that skirts along a creek for a few miles.  No lycra or spandex for me please - I wear cargo shorts and pocket carry.  Although it is well traveled and even partroled by city parks and recreastion LEOs, that bike path goes through some wooded areas and gets pretty secluded at times.  There I easily carry a P3AT.  On the streets around the house I often just take an NAA 22mag mini-revolver.

My bike is a hybrid, something of a cross between a mountain bike and street bike.

[​IMG]

14. KittySlayer

KittySlayer New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I carry my P3AT in my right jersey pocket. It does help to have something in the left pocket to offset the weight although if your jersey fits properly not too much of an issue.  Went to BestBuy and shopped through the cases they had for cameras, handheld games and GPS navigation systems. Ended up with this LowePro camera case. There is absolutely no printing as I can ride our tandem and my wife cannot tell when I carry and when I don't.

[​IMG]