Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up trying to fix my new 2nd gen P3AT. Did all the fluff and buff, tried 4 different types of ammo, 5 if I include my defencive rounds, had kel tec send me a new extractor, spring and screw. Had a buddy of mine check my shooting technique to make sure I wasn't "limp wresting". He is qualified. Has trained law enforcement, sniper trainer for both law enforcement and military, shoots in many national pistol and rifle matches. Said my grip was good, so I will eliminate that right off the bat. That all being said, I have boxed it up but was wondering what the best method for shipping is? UPS, USPS, FED EX? If I want to insure do I say the item is a gun? What exactly is the protocol here? Kel tec manual doesn't give any instruction there.
Thanks for any advice you can give. I hope to get this little pistol up and running. I want to love it but for now I have little faith. If interested it fails to extract up to 4 rounds per magazine at its worst with Win white box and best 2 rounds per magazine with Rem UMC RN. Ive run 200+ rounds through it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i took the empty mag out, slide off, shipped fedex, insured $300 & shipped. I don't think you can ship US post office

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Check with your local gun stores.
I had to send one back to Taurus and found Gander Mountain would do it for $15.
It was cheaper and less hassle than shipping myself as I’ve done in the past.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
You can only ship a firearm via Fedex or UPS, or find an FFL who will ship it back for you (usually an FFL can/will ship it for you a lot cheaper than you could yourself). However, since your P3AT is new, I would call and talk to Kel Tec about the problems. It may be that they can send a few replacement parts to improve the function. If not, then I would definitely request a pre-paid shipping label from KT so that the pistol ships back on their dollar for warranty work. They often seem willing to do this for a reasonably new gun when warranty work is needed.

Jim R

·
Grand Poobah
1,366 Posts
Since the problem is likely confined to the slide and barrel, you could just send those parts back. The slide is not a gun, (legally, the receiver is the gun) so you could legally mail it without an FFL. I have sent slides back to Kel Tec using Priority Mail, and have received them back in the Mail.

buzzsaw-I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice. Confirm it with a lawyer or other knowledgeable professional in case anything has changed in the last few years.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Since the problem is likely confined to the slide and barrel, you could just send those parts back. The slide is not a gun, (legally, the receiver is the gun) so you could legally mail it without an FFL. I have sent slides back to Kel Tec using Priority Mail, and have received them back in the Mail.

buzzsaw-I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice. Confirm it with a lawyer or other knowledgeable professional in case anything has changed in the last few years.
Only the aluminum frame (inside the polymer grip), which has the serial number, is a "firearm" as defined by the law and BATF. The barrel and slide are not a "firearm" by themselves, and can be shipped via USPS. The small flat rate Priority Mail box is ideal for this. Many of us have done this when these parts need to go back to Kel Tec.

Jim R

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Check with your local gun stores.
I had to send one back to Taurus and found Gander Mountain would do it for $15.
It was cheaper and less hassle than shipping myself as I’ve done in the past.
Now this is good advise!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I will give a call Monday and see if they will give me a shipping label. When they ship it back (whole gun) does that have to go back to a ffl? I know new guns do that have not had the buyer paperwork done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will give a call Monday and see if they will give me a shipping label. When they ship it back (whole gun) does that have to go back to a ffl? I know new guns do that have not had the buyer paperwork done.
Nope, no FFL needed at this point, they send it back to you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We will ship a firearm for anybody for actual postage. Priority mail insured on most KT pistols is around $15.00. USPS supplies the box, so we usually just box it up, label it, fill out the declaration page and hand the package back to the customer to drop off at the post office.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skullbiker, you have big teeth, be sure to brush them twice a day.
Ha! Yes, I try.
Rebootit, that's a nice service you provide. I emailed the dealer I got it from to see if he would ship it and he has been delinquent in responding back. I will simply give kel tec a call Monday see if I can get a shipping label if not no biggie. I'll just ship it UPS and insure it as parts or something.

·
Registered
43 Posts
KT would not give me a label

For my two day old new PF-9 KT. Cust. Service insisted that I send the barrel and slid back to them regular mail with delivery Conformation. This did work out and I had the gun back in two weeks. Good Luck

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd say the cheapest way that keeps you out of Leavenworth would be the best:D

I have never used anything but FedEx. Never had a problem, but then I have only had to mail back to Kel Tec once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update

After reading a post by Capp on the PF9 board I discovered a extractor mod and I decided to give one last ditch effort to get this little guy running. I'm happy to report back that my P3AT runs perfectly! I took .012 off the slide side of the extractor block to allow for more bite on the case rim. Capp took .010 off and someone else took .006. So your mileage may vary. I ran 50 rds of blazer brass fmj rn with one hiccup early on and none after that. It ran 100% with dreaded win white box fmj flat nose. I'm so glad I gave it more effort! I love this little gun and now feel confident enough to put back into duty. Thanks for all the great advice. No trip to Kel tec for this gun. Back in my pocket where it belongs.:D

·
Registered
589 Posts
After reading a post by Capp on the PF9 board I discovered a extractor mod and I decided to give one last ditch effort to get this little guy running. I'm happy to report back that my P3AT runs perfectly! I took .012 off the slide side of the extractor block to allow for more bite on the case rim. Capp took .010 off and someone else took .006. So your mileage may vary. I ran 50 rds of blazer brass fmj rn with one hiccup early on and none after that. It ran 100% with dreaded win white box fmj flat nose. I'm so glad I gave it more effort! I love this little gun and now feel confident enough to put back into duty. Thanks for all the great advice. No trip to Kel tec for this gun. Back in my pocket where it belongs.:D
Congrats, Ya I took .006 off my PF9 extractor and it has been an eating machine with everything I put through it. I have a P3at too and I carry it often. If it ever starts to hiccup you can bet I'll do the extractor tune on it too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats, Ya I took .006 off my PF9 extractor and it has been an eating machine with everything I put through it. I have a P3at too and I carry it often. If it ever starts to hiccup you can bet I'll do the extractor tune on it too
I can't believe how this transformed this little pistol into a flawless machine. I tried to induce a failure by using a loose grip to finally a two finger grip. I could not induce any kind of failure at all! Very pleased with the results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts