Best way I've found to carry while cycling

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by styledata, Sep 13, 2009.

1. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello all,
    I've tried various ways to carry my P3AT while cycling. An in the waistband holster didn't work as my perspiration got on the gun. I tried the jogging holster that Active Pro Gear offers, as shown here: http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html. It was just too much 'stuff' around my chest. Probably great for running. It would be of little use to stow the gun in my camelback as it would take forever to get to it. I think I've finally hit on something that works pretty well. Granted, it's not immediate access but pretty close. It is a bicycle frame pack that Nashbar sells:
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_167563_-1_201459_10000_201460.
    My only gripe is that the zipper opens on the left side and I am right handed.  I don't put anything else in the bag with it, just the gun. I think I'm going to either line the pouch with some kind of material or 'mount' a holster in it. But for now I carry it in the holster in the pouch as is. And as a female riding alone, I do feel better.

2. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Looks like a good way to bicycle carry. But, what do you do when you dismount and leave your bike? Did you ever consider a small fanny pack? Before I bought my P3AT for pocket carry, I carried my Glock 19 in a small fanny pack that I bought at Wally World for under $15.00.

3. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    I NEVER leave my bike. If I ever had to, I would either inconspicuously remove the gun and put it elsewhere, or unhook (easy to do) the bag. :)

4. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I have a very similar bag that I got at a local bike shop. Cost me $11.00 and even has a heavy duty pad underneath to carry the bike on your shoulder. My only complaint is that it's velcro attachment, and I have to take it on and off to transport my bike on the bike rack. I have been thinking about a better fastening system so I could grab it and run in one motion if need be. I have tried to open it and draw the gun as I was riding, but it has proven to be somewhat difficult. It would be nice to be able to rip it off and at least get it where it'd be more accessible. I do like that the triangular shape keeps the gun pointed straight down, and it's just roomy enough for a few small caliber guns and a wallet, keys. We'll see, maybe this winter I'll modify it so it just snaps on or something. The velcro straps that wrap around the frame have to go under my brake, shifter cables, and is kind of a pain to take on and off. I do agree that it's a good place to store a firearm while riding, and it's very safe for the rider and everyone around.

5. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It lookds like you have hit on something that works for you. . . and that is the important thing.

I can't imagine anyone actually using that Active Pro Gear . . . to hide a gun or anything.
    Looks not only uncomfortable but awkward as well.

I have use the fanny pack myself. It solves the away from the bike question. But is NOT any more accessible than what you came up with.

good luck.

6. gtd

gtd New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Make sure you have a belt clip, then you can carry in your cycling shorts if you have to leave your bike.

7. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    My vote is on a fanny pack. I've tried several. Then I found the tommy pack. Little big for the P3AT but works great for my larger guns.
    http://www.tommysgunpack.com

8. KittySlayer

KittySlayer New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jersey pockets for me. I wear a traditional, tight fitting three pocket cycling jersey and carry my P3AT  in my right rear pocket inside a neoprene case from a Nintendo DS game system I picked up from Best Buy. The case is a perfect fit, keeps most my sweat off the gun and holds it securely in my pocket. I have found that it helps to slip an energy bar in the same pocket to eliminate any printing.

This works best for my style of riding which are fast group training rides followed by a solo ride back home after the group breaks up.

Good solution if you are riding solo and you should use what you are comfortable with.

For me the only people I ride with that use fanny packs are the people who are carrying. Kind of defeats the purpose of concealed carry for those around you that are observant. Keeping the fact that I carry a secret from other riders is important to me as there are lots of folks that are too pacifist to recognize someones desire to protect themselves.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    When riding a bicycle I carry my weapon in a fanny pack strapped to the handle bars facing me. When I leave the bicycle I put the P3 in my pocket.

On the Scooter the P40 rides in a belt holster on my right hip. ;)

10. Two_Guns

Two_Guns New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    When I am riding my bike I always carry my P3AT in my pants pocket just like I do all the time.

11. Dockatz

Dockatz New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    A pair of regular shorts over your riding shorts will give you all kinds of pocket space that works well and is inconspicuous.

:cool:

12. xndr512

xndr512 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I really like their gun packs also. The new Sidekick version in extra small is the absolute perfect size for the P32/P3AT. The pistol sits vertically in the main pocket with the rapid deploy buckle. The outer zippered pocket is great for a small radio or mp3 player and still has room for a wallet and keys.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Cargo pocket on 911 shorts for me. Perpper spray clipped to the top of the main pocket. I don't do spandex. :)

14. welshdude

welshdude New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    tennessee
    My bicycle CC is about the same size as the P3AT, but weighs a little more. I use a King leather holster w/t clip to the outside and the pistol/holster to the inside. It rides perfectly and access is instantaneous. Of course I wear mtb type cycling shorts over top of the padded spandex as I'm a utility cyclist and a commuter. So, in deference to my fellow employees and customers when doing errands I opt for modesty. And besides the waistband is always more stiff and the pistol wont pull down on my shorts/cycling pants(I ride year 'round so I've got some heavy winter spandex pants).

My tops include cycling jerseys, jackets, wool sweaters, etc. The jerseys and jackets are all designed w/extra length to the rear allowing for a bent over riding position. The extra material hides the CC like it was designed for that purpose.

During the winter I carry my P11 in a shoulder holster(vertical) and there's no print. Fair weather is another story. That's when the smaller pistol and holster come into play. My wife and I swap pistols seasonally. but I am seriously looking to a P3AT, LCP, P380, IO Hellcat, etc. asa fundage opens up. Carrying a 25 ACP is better than a sharp stick in the eye...but not by much. :p

15. Crossstick

Crossstick New Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Somewhere South
    OT on purpose just 'cause I find it funny. I shot a .25 into a pine tree once and could see the bullet's bottom in the bark. What a powerless round!

16. welshdude

welshdude New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    tennessee
    Too true! But, as I'm capable of 6" groupings @ 25 ft w/this pistol I'll aim for the head. Can't imagine anyone wanting to take any lead to the face. If I miss I'll throw it at 'em. :eek:

My CC is an old Intratec Protec .25 acp w/an 8+1 capacity. I carry an extra mag, too. And I use 50 gr FMJ. It's as strong a round made in .25 ACP. So, one can see why I'm looking to upgrade to a mouse .380 of some type. Now a Seecamp LWS .380 would be ideal, but that ain't gonna happen. Like I said in my previous post I'll probably end up w/a P3AT or LCP as they weigh about the same. And they're both a better SD round. Fundage, fundage. :mad:

17. fisky

fisky New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    This is a great idea. I'll experiment with it. The right side jersey pocket is too sweaty and rubs against my side. I wear spandex so no other pockets and a fanny pack just screams GUN!

18. jpshaw

jpshaw New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    My smallest CC piece is a P3AT but remember the .25 has killed a lot of folks very, very dead.

19. welshdude

welshdude New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    tennessee
    Thanks for this jpshaw. Sometimes, I get a little 'gun envious' of my fellow cyclists w/CC .32, .380, 9mm and .40 rounds. :p It's nice to be reminded that even though the .25 acp is a light round it'll at least hurt a perp very, very badly.

My wife carrys our P11 during warm weather and the .25 during the winter as previously stated. I use a shoulder holster for the P11 which doesn't print at all. Would like to upgrade to go lighter/lethal w/a .380 not only for the bicycle, but for her as well when we swap. She says she's confident with .25 8+1, but I still get concerned. I'd rather her have a .380 6+1.

20. jpshaw

jpshaw New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    The .25 came out soon after the turn of the last century (1900) and some looked at it as a replacement for the inconspicous .41 deringer, both single and double barrel. As usual the thought was; "wish I had that big .41 round instead. Now with croni's we can check the facts. The .41 rimfire used a 130 bullet at 425 fps (No that's not a typo) for 52 whopping ft pds of energy. The .25 used a 50 or 51 grain bullet at closer to 850 fps for about 80 fpe and it was 8+1. I will take a .25 any day. Don't say the .22 rimfire is better either. Those .22 ballistics are taken from rifle length barrels or 6 to 8" target barrels. When used in a 2 or 2 1/2" barrel it's barely over 800 fps either. The .22 uses an outside lubricated bullet that is less reliable in autoloaders plus rimfire is less reliable then centerfire for ingnition. That's my case for the lowly .25 and no I don't own one.

Last edited: May 9, 2013