Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
I run a TRS-25 on a 45 degree angle on mine with a QD mount. I didn't want to spend the money on the swivel mounts either. It has worked out well for me. I usually use the open sights without problem and can consistently put a fist sized hole in a target at 50 yards off-handed, and that is with old eyes. The RDS helps me acquire the target faster. It is your choice. Enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Still, don't you think that even with a discount, paying $100 for a mount for a $400 gun is a little painful? It is for me. If I had the luxury of having lots of money I'd def go for one of those MCARBO or Midwest swivel mounts.
I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't own a SubK (almost pulled the trigger on one, and may still in the future) but honestly, $100 for a solid swing/flip mount isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things (even if you need to put a little aside each week til you can make the purchase) It's worth spending the money instead of going cheap and dealing with it not being very secure when shooting or having issues holding zero (or even being able to zero to begin with)

As for the RDS, there have been some good suggestions with Vortex, Holosun, Bushnell TRS (this one seems to be common to counterfeit, so watch out for "cheap" listings), Other one's to look at would be the Swamp Fox Liberator or on the less expensive side the AT3 tactical red dot. The AT3 is going to run a similar price as the TRS, so it's one of the less expensive (not "cheap") ones on the market. AT3 also makes one that has an integrated laser (choice of red or green laser) if you were considering lasers as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't own a SubK (almost pulled the trigger on one, and may still in the future) but honestly, $100 for a solid swing/flip mount isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things (even if you need to put a little aside each week til you can make the purchase) It's worth spending the money instead of going cheap and dealing with it not being very secure when shooting or having issues holding zero (or even being able to zero to begin with)

As for the RDS, there have been some good suggestions with Vortex, Holosun, Bushnell TRS (this one seems to be common to counterfeit, so watch out for "cheap" listings), Other one's to look at would be the Swamp Fox Liberator or on the less expensive side the AT3 tactical red dot. The AT3 is going to run a similar price as the TRS, so it's one of the less expensive (not "cheap") ones on the market. AT3 also makes one that has an integrated laser (choice of red or green laser) if you were considering lasers as well.
Thanks. I ended up getting the Sig Romeo 5 red dot, which was $127. So more than I wanted to spend, but its considered one of the best red dots under $200 and that was a pretty good price. So now I may spend almost as much on the mount for it. Kind of odd. Let's see. If I don't go with one of these 2 expensive mounts, I'll either get one that's canted on a angle where I have to hold the sub2k at an angle or i'll get a mount that's removable which I take off whenever not using and put on each time I use it. The worry with the latter is the red dot losing its zero.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I run a TRS-25 on a 45 degree angle on mine with a QD mount. I didn't want to spend the money on the swivel mounts either. It has worked out well for me. I usually use the open sights without problem and can consistently put a fist sized hole in a target at 50 yards off-handed, and that is with old eyes. The RDS helps me acquire the target faster. It is your choice. Enjoy your rifle.
Thanks. How do you like using the gun angled for that mounting option? So I guess you switch between the red dot using it angled and then using it at 90 degrees with the iron sights (or plastic & iron sights).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. How do you like using the gun angled for that mounting option? So I guess you switch between the red dot using it angled and then using it at 90 degrees with the iron sights (or plastic & iron sights).
I tried the angled mount on the left side since I didn’t want brass smacking me in the mouth. Zeroing it was a pain.

Because it was angled, I could fold or open it without issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I tried the angled mount on the left side since I didn’t want brass smacking me in the mouth. Zeroing it was a pain.

Because it was angled, I could fold or open it without issues.
Once you got it zero'd it, did it stay zero'd? What was the experience like using the gun angled like that? I guess not great since it looks like you ended up getting the MCARBO mount. The MCARBO mount looks awesome, but $150 is just a crazy price for a mount. MCARBO has lots of cool products, but I feel like their prices are high overall and crazy high on that mount.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Slapped a Holusun 510c on the rail and added a riser to give me a lower 1/3 Co-witness height.

20200322_195246.jpg
20200209_150423.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Once you got it zero'd it, did it stay zero'd? What was the experience like using the gun angled like that? I guess not great since it looks like you ended up getting the MCARBO mount. The MCARBO mount looks awesome, but $150 is just a crazy price for a mount. MCARBO has lots of cool products, but I feel like their prices are high overall and crazy high on that mount.
It stayed zero but it was awkward shooting it. I had to rotate it right side down. My other angled sights are on the opposite side.

I prefer an upright sight.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It works for me. I don't have any problem with brass smacking me in the mouth though. They wiz by my face but I have yet to get hit with one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My solution is a 1” tall 45 deg QD riser with a red dot. have been very happy. I think you can click on my member name and see my explanation of parts and height in a post from a couple months ago. I took it to the range a week ago and snapped it on once again. Still on zero at 22/100 yards. Have no remorse about not spending big cash on a flip up mount.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My solution is a 1” tall 45 deg QD riser with a red dot. have been very happy. I think you can click on my member name and see my explanation of parts and height in a post from a couple months ago. I took it to the range a week ago and snapped it on once again. Still on zero at 22/100 yards. Have no remorse about not spending big cash on a flip up mount.
Hi Sub2000_2020.

I went to your post. Sounds interesting, but I didn't see any pice. Do you have pics you can post to see what this looks like?

I ended up forking over the $100 to get the Midwest Industries swivel mount - MCARBO's is more the flip model. I hated that I had to spend that kind of money on a mount, but it seemed like the best solution. I saw a few good reviews on it like this one. I figure its a good investment though. I put it on and the quality seems great. Should be the perfect solution, but yes, way too expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in the QD with Red Dot camp till I included the inexpensive TruGlow sight with JRC trade. I have 2 of the Bushnell TRS-25s on other guns and like them. Was on the trail to get another, when I decided that I'm going to go without and just use the micro laser on the bottom rail for a while and see how I like it. I am considering getting the M*Carbo pistol style sight though to make acquiring the laser easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Just thought I'd follow up on my final set up - I got the Midwest Industries mount for $100 and have the Sig Romeo 5 red dot on it. Looks and feels awesome though won't know what its like to shoot with it until we've defeated this virus. Annoyed me that I had to fork over $100 for the optimal mount for this, but I took your perspective and look at as a value buy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all some what new to post g but have been following for a long time and have faced the same questions and dilemma that have been posted and think I have found the perfect fit at least for me. My sub2k 40 cal is a back pack / truck /home defense weapon and it is fun to shoot. I found this on amazon

OLIGHT Baldr Pro 1350 Lumen WeaponLight Flashlight with Green Laser Sight with LumenTac Battery Organizer

It's rugged and reliable enough for law enforcement green laser zeroed at 25 yards low light LED light 1350 lumins which can be cut in have plus options of laser only, light only, both laser and light or strobe and strobe with laser.

All options can be worked while running and gunning.

Sorry I can't post photos yet but soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ill try to upload photos here.

it takes literally less than five seconds to switch from bottom rail to top. if gun is folded with sight on bottom rail foregrip and iron sights still work normally.

i took a couple photos to demonstrate how high the red dot it over the sights. no cowitness. no need to fold rear sight down. gives me a more comfortable cheek weld and my wife can shoot it with ears on.

Hi Sub2000_2020.

I went to your post. Sounds interesting, but I didn't see any pice. Do you have pics you can post to see what this looks like?

I ended up forking over the $100 to get the Midwest Industries swivel mount - MCARBO's is more the flip model. I hated that I had to spend that kind of money on a mount, but it seemed like the best solution. I saw a few good reviews on it like this one. I figure its a good investment though. I put it on and the quality seems great. Should be the perfect solution, but yes, way too expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
At this point, the Midwest mount I have with a Holosun 403 on it will not zero. Mind you, I am not shooting distance but tried to zero it at 25 yds. I can hit an 8" steel with the 3" flapper plate all day at that distance with the post sight but not with the red dot. 60 year old eyes DEMANDS a red dot these days. Midwest was helpful and suggested I try at 100 but haven't gotten to try it yet. I WANT this to work! It is well-made and convenient but I'm not so sure it will handle CQB situations. I'm considering trying a quick release flat riser to see how that works instead.

I would appreciate comments from others who may have encountered and solved this. The Midwest bracket is a great idea for this folder! (And yes I'm using the Holosun without its AR-15 riser flat mounted of Midwest's Aimpoint type bracket. In other words as low as it can go.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
At this point, the Midwest mount I have with a Holosun 403 on it will not zero. Mind you, I am not shooting distance but tried to zero it at 25 yds. I can hit an 8" steel with the 3" flapper plate all day at that distance with the post sight but not with the red dot. 60 year old eyes DEMANDS a red dot these days. Midwest was helpful and suggested I try at 100 but haven't gotten to try it yet. I WANT this to work! It is well-made and convenient but I'm not so sure it will handle CQB situations. I'm considering trying a quick release flat riser to see how that works instead.

I would appreciate comments from others who may have encountered and solved this. The Midwest bracket is a great idea for this folder! (And yes I'm using the Holosun without its AR-15 riser flat mounted of Midwest's Aimpoint type bracket. In other words as low as it can go.)
That's upsetting to me as I just spent $100 on the mount - which is nuts for a mount. The majority of the commentary (written and video) I saw on the Midwest mount said it does maintain zero. So I'm totally with you when you say "I WANT this to work!" Not sure why zero-ing it in at 100 would or should be more effective than at 25 yds.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts