Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my SU16A in june of 2010. Love the rifle. However, because of the lightness of this rifle, I get a fair amount of muzzle jump. I wanted to make the entire gun better, so I consulted a trusted Smith. He suggested I install a Talon muzzle brake, work the trigger down to three pounds and put a decent scope on. So I had him do the work after providing a Aim Point 4X16X40 scope. Took about three weeks because the barrel needed to be threaded, but, now that I have it back, This rifle rocks big time. I can hold under three quarter inch groups from the bench at 100 yds.. their is almost no recoil and the trigger breaks very clean. The only other change I'll make is to put a forgrip and after market bipod on. I have two different AR's and neither on will out shoot my SU16 from the bench.  I will post pics soon. Hope this helps someone looking to improve their's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to the forum bud! Sounds like you made some good improvements. I too have been considering the Talon brake. I just got my SU16c and started playing with accessories as well! Just received pistol grip, magpul AFG (angled forgrip) and magpul stock. Lots more plans like Red lion forend, harris bipod etc!! Accessorizing is almost as fun as shooting! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
go to Brownells online catalog and look up MUZZLE BRAKE. even the cheap ones work just fine, get a cheap one that uses a jam nut.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The fun way to deal with muzzle jump in an Su16 is to practice with a high-power rifle (.30cal/7.62). After that, the SU16 jump will be negligible. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only got 140 rounds of 223 through my SU16CA so far, but haven't noticed a real issue with rise/recoil shooting bone stock. Will 556 ammo be significantly worse?

Having shot next to ARs with and without brakes on them at the range, I'm wondering if the pressure change of having a brake is worth it if the recoil and rise seem to be very easy to control anyway. Especially since the polymer reciever on the SU makes prolonged rapid-fire a bad idea in general (along with the rules at my regular range prohibiting it anyway). I'm in CA, so a flash hider isn't really a legal option without registering the thing, and getting jammed up with the law over a range gun isn't something I'm looking to do anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
First, that last thread reply is nine years old!
So, Noob congrats on that!
But, the subject is still valid regardless of the age.
I have a standard A2 on my 16-C and I love everything about it but 50 shots is all my cheek bone can take. Its a punisher! That was with the irons and a low mount scope. I raised my scope height to a standard 1.5" to get my cheek off the stock. Would a MB or comp help the cheek hurt? I dunno. The recoil isn't bad, it just seems to kick more, perhaps because the stock is hinged, its popping up.
IMO, I don't think a comp or MB will help much. If you can go 60 rounds on your stock, You're good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks.

I was running 50 rounds at a time without any issues on my shoulder/cheek, but I mounted a red dot that I had on hand since I can only go out to 25 yards at the local indoor range. I did the first 50 on irons just to get a bit of a feel for the gun then mounted and started to zero the red dot.

The only other long gun I've shot before this is my Moss 590 18", running everything from low recoil buck to rush cooper slugs at 1600+ fps (10 of those beat the hell out of me). The lateral grouping was pretty good (+/- 1 inch from POA), and once I started paying attention to my breathing the vertical tightened up from 8 inches to inside 2 inches at 25 yes, which I hope to improve on with more reps and technique on my part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ares Armor used to carry/produce a brake/compensator called the EFFIN-A. I don't believe they are still in biz, as the feds shut them down about 5 years ago and I don't believe they came back. I have three of them mounted on various pew pew sticks, including my SU-16c. They are tuneable and quite easy to set up. Google the name and it will give you a couple of sources for purchase. Most sell it for $100, but I found the older version for $45 on fleabay. I have the older version on three rifles and they work well for me. YMMV

·
Registered
18 Posts
After shooting M855 & OTM 77 at dusk (SU16C), something had to be done to preserve low-light vision. Having used the Levang on MSRs, I tried it. Magic - no flash. I also like the slight shift of balance towards the muzzle.
It's called the Levang Linear Compensator. At Brownell's it's part # 100-035-925 and runs about $31 or a bit more. No indexing, etc., just screw it on.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That thing is beautiful but if I do this to mine in Cali I gotta add that darn Fin but still better than maglock
If you have the CA model like me adding a muzzle brake and not a flash hider will still keep you featureless.

I added a VG6 gamma brake and a red dot and I really like how it looks with 20rounders. Promag or GIs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a muzzle break per se but I picked up a Kaw Valley Precision Linear Compensator & I love it. Unlike a typical flash hider/muzzle break where the gasses are ejected to the sides, the linear comp pushes those gasses outward to the front of the shooter. So theres less gasses blown back at you which is cool. The recoil of the gun is changed as you'd expect too, as now it is directly rearward, but what sold it for me is that the decibels of the boom heard by the shooter are reduced by around -5 db's.

The decibel reduction is even greater the shorter your barrel is. AR pistols would benefit from this greatly for instance i'd imagine. But for me, this works good & if you're shooting at a range, the people next to you will appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts