Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around I see 3 -(4) (coming) Models

Crimson Trace LG-430 @ $189.00
Armalaser SB-1 @ $99
Laserlyte @ $89
(Armalaser TR-1 @ $?)

Is there any reason to go with the CT over the cheaper ones? I like the Laserlyte best for the low profile price is a bonus. Thoughts are welcome

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Just a personal opinion on laser function...

For self-defense purposes I want a laser that does not need an extra function to turn it on. That extra action takes time and could cause you to flub your getting on target quickly.
It's different for soldiers and LEO because they often have time to "light up" before the action starts. Not usually true for civilian encounters.

For this reason the Laserlyte and Armalaser Stingray styles with their On switch that must be activated as a separate function is undesirable to me.

I prefer the Armalaser Small Block with the proximity switch that activates automatically when your finger enters the trigger guard or the Crimson Trace that activates automatically when you grasp the grip.

I have both; I have the Armalaser Small Block on my Kel-Tec P-3AT - think it's great, and have the Crimson Trace LaserGuard on my Springfield XDm Compact 3.8 .45 - it is great also.

I'm slightly more in favor of the Crimson Trace for three reasons;
1. With the Armalaser, when the On/Off manual switch is set to ON, which it normally is when your are expecting to need the gun, such as when you are carrying it, or when it is on your night stand, the unit is constantly drawing a bit of current so the proximity switch will activate when your finger gets near it. This uses battery power and even the though the Armalaser holds twice as many batteries as the Crimson Trace they can get used up quicker than you might think. I carried my P-3AT constantly, 24/7/365 for six years, and practiced using the laser almost daily during that time. I usually needed about four battery changes a year. I haven't had the Crimson Trace long enough yet to get a good feel for actual battery life.
2. The Armalaser requires you to put your finger in the trigger guard in order activate it. You must be extra careful not violate the rule "Keep you finger of the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have acquired your target and have made the decision to shoot".
3. If for some reason you wish not to activate the laser (maybe so as not to advertise your location) you can't do it as easily with the Armalaser because the only way to deactivate it is to turn off the manual switch. With the Crimson Trace you just let off pressure on the switch a bit.

Bottom line - I would prefer the Crimson Trace LaserGuard but the Armalaser Small Block is very good also.

Bobo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a personal opinion on laser function...

For self-defense purposes I want a laser that does not need an extra function to turn it on. That extra action takes time and could cause you to flub your getting on target quickly.
It's different for soldiers and LEO because they often have time to "light up" before the action starts. Not usually true for civilian encounters.

For this reason the Laserlyte and Armalaser Stingray styles with their On switch that must be activated as a separate function is undesirable to me.

I prefer the Armalaser Small Block with the proximity switch that activates automatically when your finger enters the trigger guard or the Crimson Trace that activates automatically when you grasp the grip.

I have both; I have the Armalaser Small Block on my Kel-Tec P-3AT - think it's great, and have the Crimson Trace LaserGuard on my Springfield XDm Compact 3.8 .45 - it is great also.

I'm slightly more in favor of the Crimson Trace for three reasons;
1. With the Armalaser, when the On/Off manual switch is set to ON, which it normally is when your are expecting to need the gun, such as when you are carrying it, or when it is on your night stand, the unit is constantly drawing a bit of current so the proximity switch will activate when your finger gets near it. This uses battery power and even the though the Armalaser holds twice as many batteries as the Crimson Trace they can get used up quicker than you might think. I carried my P-3AT constantly, 24/7/365 for six years, and practiced using the laser almost daily during that time. I usually needed about four battery changes a year. I haven't had the Crimson Trace long enough yet to get a good feel for actual battery life.
2. The Armalaser requires you to put your finger in the trigger guard in order activate it. You must be extra careful not violate the rule "Keep you finger of the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have acquired your target and have made the decision to shoot".
3. If for some reason you wish not to activate the laser (maybe so as not to advertise your location) you can't do it as easily with the Armalaser because the only way to deactivate it is to turn off the manual switch. With the Crimson Trace you just let off pressure on the switch a bit.

Bottom line - I would prefer the Crimson Trace LaserGuard but the Armalaser Small Block is very good also.

Bobo
Nice reply I get what you mean about an extra step, not good in a SD situation thanks for the info

·
Registered
63 Posts
as much as the price and tiny size of the Laserlyte grabs me, it still requires a separate action to get it to work. for this the Crimson Trace is tempting me. if only it wasn't so darn expensive

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have the Armalaser on my "training" P3AT (I have 2 P3ATs) and like it a lot. I do not have a laser on my carry P3AT because I'm not convinced of their benefits for carry. But, if I were to put one on my carry it would be the CT for reasons Bobo wrote and because it looks, in my opinion better than the Armalaser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts