Best laser, Best pocket holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by qwerty, Jun 11, 2008.

1. qwerty

qwerty New Member

Jun 11, 2008
    So is the arma laser still the best laser system the pistol? What is the best pocket holster? Also, where is the best place to buy this stuff (think cheap).

2. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    There are a few threads posted on the lasers.

I like the CTC 430lg. It's better design, less bulky. Price is about the same depending where you get it.
    I recommend shooters-resource.com. It was $164 with shipping, dvd and great service.
    The CTC does utilize a switch where Arma uses the sensing probe. The switch is on/off instantly while the sensor keeps the circuit open for 10 seconds after activation.
    The laser itself on CTC has a "halo" effect while the Arma does not. CTC is supposed to change that.
    I have about 500 rounds thru the P3 with laser attached. I attached it before I fired the P3 for the first time. O adjustment needed and no problems with the laser.
    Norton

3. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    The ArmaLaser has advantages too.  First, it helps square out the shape of the P-3AT (or P-32) so that it prints less like a pistol.  Second, the CTC robs the space from the bottom of the trigger guard and upper portion of the front grip, possibly making the gun a little harder to hold on too.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Bought my CTC from the same place as norton, same experiences, zero failures, zero adjustments, shoots tight groups out of the box.

The amount of space robbed is about 2mm, I have large hands, can barely get two fingers on the thing to begin with and did not notice any difference in the grip with our without the laser.

Posted my original experience and range report here -> http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1207447169

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I've had both CTC and ArmaLaser. CTC has a critical design flaw - the button is way too sensitive - to the extent that you have zero control over the laser. I sent it back and kept the ArmaLaser. If you just really love the CT brand (I use their 357 magnum version - it has a real button), I'd recommend waiting for their version 2.

As a bonus, the AL has 2x as much battery capacity, a noticeably clearer dot, and squares up the outline. I use the AL in a modified Unkle Mike's holster. Other holster choices are made for the AL - none for the CTC yet. Here it is with AL and spare mag in the modified Mike (just cut the thread between top and bottom areas)...
    [​IMG]

6. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Actually, wheelguy, that's not entirely true. We offer holsters for the KT's and the ArmaLaser, and we offer holsters for the KT's and the CTC, and have done so for quite some time. I'm unaware of anyone else offering holsters for the KT's and the CTC.

7. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I stand corrected. Just curious, is it possible to buy just one of your holsters, and have it fit either CTC or AL ? Seems like that should be doable.

8. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I have had no problems with the button sensetivity. While practicing I can reduce the grip pressure and use the iron sight without activating the laser. I have fired both lasers on P3at's in a side by side comparison. The bigger battery would be needed since the laser will stay on for 10 seconds every time it's activated. I felt that could be a critical issue for self defense. The change in grip thickness is not noticeable to me. I like the streamlined appearance of the CT on the gun.
    Also I believe the Armalaser is thicker by a slight amount.
    This is one of those cases where there is no wrong descision. Just your preference.
    Norton
    looking for a new bike!

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I have had the Crimson Trace installed for about 250 rounds and 3 months now. Works great, looks great and adds the minimal weight/size to a weapon that I specifically chose for its small size/weight. The plastic used matches the K-T very well (less so the AL, IMO). The sensitive activation on the CT is exactly what I want. I prefer easily activated over something requiring more deliberate actions. I never thought the "squares off the shape" argument for the AL makes any sense...to me. I do not like the way the AL stays on for 10 seconds. I want instant on/off. The instant on/off is great for practicing and honing your point shooting abilities. I own two other CT laser sights (for a GLOCK 30 and a S&W 642) and can attest to their reliability and propensity to stay zeroed. They do have what I would call a scattering of light around the red dot and they can be a pickle to keep clean (secret: the little foam tipped swabs they give you and canned compressed air). However, of the three CT units I own the one for the K-T has the least scattering. Honestly, I never notice the scattering when actually firing the weapon, only when cleaning it and practice firing it (snap caps and no live ammo in the same room!).

As regards holsters, Desantis is now making their great Nemesis holsters to accommodate the CT laser. Here's a link: http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html I ordered one two nights ago. I let you know how it works out when I get it. But judging from my experience in the past, the Nemesis is the best pocket holster extant for the P3AT. The only draw-back that I faced when I added the CT laser was having to give up my Desantis Nemesis. Fortunately, my brother has put it to good use ;) I am very pleased to be going back to the Nemesis again.

My opinions and experiences. Use them accordingly. ;) :)

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    No problems with button sensitivity here either. Easy on, easy off on demand. I'm sure both are fine products, I never tried the Arma I chose the CTC based on specific features related to operation and maintenance and have been happy with it so far.

11. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Dreadnought - you're right that Desantis is offering their Nemesis holster for the KT and CTC combo. When I posted my comment, I was thinking/referring to any other holster makers who make their holsters from leather. My comment was unclear in that respect.

Wheelguy - since we mold/form fit our holsters to the specific gun and laser, one could not use a single holster for both styles of gun/laser. For example, if we molded the holster to fit the KT and ArmaLaser, then a KT with the CTC would flop around in it.

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    10-4 and "thumbs up". Desantis just VERY recently started offering these so I wasn't sure if many folks were aware.

:)

As a side note, I noticed your signature line and would like to thank you for your Service to our Country.

13. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
  14. armalaser

armalaser New Member

Jul 14, 2006

Hi All, don't generally like to play up our own products on KTOG but thought I would just chime in for a moment to point out 3 things that were not yet mentioned. Its kinda a case of if you think your own kid is cuter than someone else's, I guess your own is best-looking in your eyes ::)

All ArmaLasers have a 5 years warranty (that is retroactive to all ArmaLasers ever made including when we sold them with a 1 year warranty).

Many people I talk to say they bought our product instead of others because of the ArmaLaser Exchange and upgrade program, we are the only ones in the industry doing this and we are now getting a large amount of upgrade orders:
    http://www.armalaser.com/Upgrades_Swap_Models-MODEL_EXCHANGE.html

I feel very strongly about a key feature of our products: If possible, all systems we make tie directly into the frame of the pistol. I see that wasn't mentioned yet and something we spent a great deal of time and money on perfecting. This, I believe, is a very important feature of our P32/P3AT model. If you are going to try and get an ArmaLaser off of your P3AT the hard way, bring a VERY big hammer:

Pocket pistols seem to get quite a bit of abuse. Being dropped, thrown into a glove box, placed in the back pocket and sat on, etc not to mention recoil. But one thing I was concerned about was a pistol being dropped in a struggle and skittering across the floor. Yes the unit is beefier, but I think that locking into the pistol frame makes the ArmaLaser an integral part of the pistol instead of being an add-on. If you grabbed the ArmaLaser with one hand and the pistol with the other and tried to rip the unit off using all your strength it wouldn't budge even a bit. That's what we were trying to achieve. Take a look at this video if you haven't seen it yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVVI...er.com/Kel_Tec_P32_P3AT-KEL_TEC_P32_P3AT.html

CTC makes great products and we are proud that many KTOGers support us.

Rick

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Rick, if I were deciding on a laser for my K-T based solely on the people making the product...I would choose ArmaLaser every time. You and your Company seem to be good folks and I really appreciate your communication on this forum.

The CT unit for the P3AT attaches very securely to the weapon, IMHO. While I understand the design of it, I do not like the looks of the, for want of a better description, S-bar that the ArmaLaser uses to attach to the K-T's frame. Simply a cosmetic preference on my part.

I do think your exchange program is a very good idea and that your warranty policy (especially including the retroactive part of it) is fantastic. My next rail-mounted laser will almost certainly be one of your new RSS units. Those look very well done.

Again, you and your Company seem top-notch and I do not believe anyone would be served poorly if they opted for one of your products. It is nice that the two products are different enough that we have the choice based on our unique and picky preferences.

I wish you continued success and hope to see more innovations from you and your Company. :)

16. armalaser

armalaser New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Thank you Sir!

17. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    ArmaLaser for me!

In my opinion, it is the best. And just like Rick at Kel-Tec, Rick at ArmaLaser is the best...and for me, customer support is everyting...at least with guns and computers!

Boggs

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I couldn't agree more on Arma Laser and Rick. I've had them for many different weapons.

But who do you like for customer service on computers?

-Scott

19. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I build my own. Then only I'm to blame if things go awry ;)

20. brettw

brettw New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Can someone post some pics of their CT units?