Best grip(s) for the P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by voigts, Oct 12, 2008.

1. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I've been reading around a lot, and there seems to be no concensus on what slip on grips work best. I bought a Hogue Handall Jr. but it doesn't fit worth squat, and I ended up accidentally tearing it while trimming it. I used the poor man's bicycle tube grip yesterday doubled up when I went to the range for the first time with my new chrome P3AT yesterday, and although it was far better than the stock grip, it just doesn't cut it. I have small hands for a guy and even with the pinky grip extension, it wasn't the easiest to hold on to at times.

I've seen people recommend the Hogue Handall Jr, but as I mentioned, I'm not that impressed with the fit. I have also seen people mention the KTADDONS grip with pads, but it doesn't look any better than the bicycle tube option. I have seen a couple of mentions of the Pachmayr grips, but the site doesn't mention what size to get for the P3AT, and I wonder if there is any difference between it and the Hogue.

What grip or combination of grips are you folks using?

2. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    I have to admit I used the bicycle tube option. Of course it took many tries to get it just right both in fit and finish (looks are sooo important to gun owners, aren't they?) And at 4 bucks for the tube, so what if it didn't work.

What I did was cut two grip covers for the P3AT. Doubling it over didn't work for me. And yes, I tried that too. I slipped the first one on. Then the second over the first. But make the first one slightly smaller so the second one can cover all of it. I then folded the top grip back and used a tad of glue to stick the two together.  

Like I said, it took several tries and fiddling with it. (I'm retired - what else do I have to do?) But I got it right. Oh, one other thing, turned the tubes inside out. There were too many seams and printing on the 'right side out' of the tube. And a second thing; Wash the tube. Seems like there was some whitish power on the inside.

So far, all is well. And it looks and performs pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

P.S. use an X-Exato knife to do any trimming. And a finger nail clipper comes in handy too. See, I told you I was retired.  ;D

3. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I started off with bike tube, then went to the hand all jr. (upside down), back to bike tube, and finally to the ktaddons grip.  While it may look like bike tube, it is nothing like it.  It fits perfectly, hasn't shifted, and has an all around better feel to me.  I should have bought one a long time ago. I do not plan on switching again.

4. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    I've got the bicycle tube underneath a Handall jr

5. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I've tried several different ideas for the P3AT. None suited me long. A short section of bicycle inner tube was best. Now I use nothing. I like the Handall Jr. on my PF9, though.

6. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Do you have the energy absorbing grip pads also for this?

With the bike tube, I cut out two pieces, put one on inside out, and then put the second on outside out as part of the tube has small rubber grooves in it which help make the outside a bit easier to grip. I should have used an exacto knife when trimming the Hogue Jr. grip as I probably wouldn't have ripped it like I did with the scissors. I may also give Pachmayr a call to see how their grip fits since they have different sizes.

7. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Nope...but I believe many like them.

8. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

I have the http://ktaddons.com grips with the energy absorbing pads underneath. I like it very much, and would not consider going back to stock grip. Recoil feels about the same though with the pads. I'm sure they don't hurt, but I didn't notice any significant difference with them. They're relatively cheap if you don't like them you can always take them off. I left mine on. The rubber grip fits perfectly and does not shift.

9. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    I also slid some cut strips of automotive rubber fuel up the back side. This makes the gun a bigger fit in my hand and also helps absorb energy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I slipped when I was cutting it for the mag release. That's why it looks goobered up. :-[

10. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    To each their own but I like guns like I like women, Naked.
    I don't care for grips like that.

11. wild_cat_mccane

wild_cat_mccane Banned

Sep 28, 2007
    the hogue fits best upside down I had read on KTOG

12. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
  13. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I read that article on 1bad69 and even upside down it was loose on the top of the grip. I did however by mine from someone on ebay not brand new, so maybe mine was stretched a bit or something. The link on their site for how to melt the edges won't cooperate though as I would like to see how to do that.

The fuel hose is an interesting idea. The energy pads for $10.95 from KTADDONS look like a rip off to be honest. The KTADDONS grip lacks the finger groove, which i think would be a good idea.

I may order another Hogue Handall Jr. or a Pachmayr #4.

As for the "I like guns like I like women, Naked," I don't shoot women, but do shoot guns, so if a sleeve helps, I'm all for it. As for the naked part, I'll take my wife naked any day...  :eek:

14. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    I shoot targets, not guns.
    I just have not seen what those grips are suppose to do. What are they suppose to help?

15. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    My Hogue Jr was new, and not real loose, though 1 member did mention putting a couple small drops of superglue on his to keep it in place, and reported it works well.

16. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Hogue Jr. mounted upside-down with KTADDONS pads underneath.

17. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008

Damn I like your answer.

18. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I decided to give the KTADDONS grip and pads a try. I ordered them this morning. I'll post back with my observations once they come in. I've also ordered the +1 mag extension to see how that feels vs. the pinky extension. The pinky extension seems to squoosh your fingers together more than it does anything else. I think the +1 mag extension will make the handle easier to grip without adding any concealment issues. I guess some folks like jpaul don't have a problem holding onto this gun, but I found the first time shooting it that it wanted to get away from me a bit once my hand got tired. Thanks everyone for the input.

19. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    This is what works for me...in black the hardest one. Try it 2-3 times a day until it hurts. Have added incredible gripping power. I don't need any special grips anymore...plus I always win the Thumb-Wars now!

[​IMG]

20. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I workout 2-3 times a week, so my grip is pretty good. I can see however that those exercise grips would help in that dept.

I got in the KTADDONS grip with pads. I haven't gone to the range with them yet, but my initial impression honestly is that it really isn't that much better than the poor man's bicycle grip. The pads are kind of nice in that they add just a bit of size to the grip, but I honestly don't think they are worth the money. The grip itself is nicely cut, thicker than the bicycle tube, and fits well, but I don't care for the lack of texture.

When I cut my bicycle tube grip, I used the portion of the tube that had texture lines on it, and I like it so much that I put it over the KTADDONS grip. The bicycle grip makes it all stay on nice and tight.

What helped me more than anything is that I got the +1 extension and retired the pinky grip. I fired with the extension last weekend and it made a big difference. Not only did it help my get a much better grip, I found that my hand was nowhere near as sore as when I first fired this gun. The first time I fired it at only 50 rounds, my hand hurt for days. Last weekend I fired 145 rounds, and my hand was barely sore afterwards and I was able to maintain a much better grip.