Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just wondering what a good FMJ load would be for self defensive purposes currently using Cor-Bon DPX loads but thinking about alternating between hollow point and FMJ. I know there's currently an ongoing debate about which is the most effective. I know the FMJ would penetrate more then the hollow point but I would imagine that there would be greater tissue damage with the hollow point because of the larger wound channel, so I was just thinking of covering all the bases by alternating between the two. Looking forward to your suggestions! thanks

Tj

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
No problem, if that link doesn't answer all your questions come back and ask some more. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Curt32 said:
Hello just wondering what a good FMJ load would be for self defensive purposes currently using Cor-Bon DPX loads but thinking about alternating between hollow point and FMJ. I know there's currently an ongoing debate about which is the most effective. I know the FMJ would penetrate more then the hollow point but I would imagine that there would be greater tissue damage with the hollow point because of the larger wound channel, so I was just thinking of covering all the bases by alternating between the two. Looking forward to your suggestions! thanks

Tj
Lots of opinions in the thread Bobo posted above.  Were I to choose a FMJ for the P3AT, I think I'd opt for Doubletap's new 95 Grain loading...fastest .380 factory load available:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=235

In larger calibers, adequate FMJ penetration is a "given" but in a .380, I see the velocity boost as "insurance".  I would normally never consider alternating rounds in one of my primary defensive weapons but I'm considering it in my P3AT BUG.   For me, that combination would be DPX & Doubletap FMJ.  I have a shipment of the latter enroute to test out for function and accuracy as I type this.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Packer did a wet pack test not too long ago and found the American Eagle .380 FMJ to be an excellent penetrator.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan334 said:
[quote author=Curt32 link=1189117350/0#0 date=1189117350]Hello just wondering what a good FMJ load would be for self defensive purposes currently using Cor-Bon DPX loads but thinking about alternating between hollow point and FMJ. I know there's currently an ongoing debate about which is the most effective. I know the FMJ would penetrate more then the hollow point but I would imagine that there would be greater tissue damage with the hollow point because of the larger wound channel, so I was just thinking of covering all the bases by alternating between the two. Looking forward to your suggestions! thanks

Tj
Lots of opinions in the thread Bobo posted above.  Were I to choose a FMJ for the P3AT, I think I'd opt for Doubletap's new 95 Grain loading...fastest .380 factory load available:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=235

In larger calibers, adequate FMJ penetration is a "given" but in a .380, I see the velocity boost as "insurance".  I would normally never consider alternating rounds in one of my primary defensive weapons but I'm considering it in my P3AT BUG.   For me, that combination would be DPX & Doubletap FMJ.  I have a shipment of the latter enroute to test out for function and accuracy as I type this.
[/quote]

Hay Dan now I like that!! Thanks!! what's your opinion on alternating your loads between hollow point and FMJ?

Tj

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops Sorry Dan didn't see what you said about considering alternating loads, let me know what you find out after you get your shipment of Double Tap, after which I'll decide if I'll pickup a few boxes paned on getting a box of 357, and 45/70 might just throw in a box or two of the 380 stuff. Thanks!

Tj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.