Best FMJ Load For My P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hello just wondering what a good FMJ load would be for self defensive purposes currently using Cor-Bon DPX loads but thinking about alternating between hollow point and FMJ. I know there's currently an ongoing debate about which is the most effective. I know the FMJ would penetrate more then the hollow point but I would imagine that there would be greater tissue damage with the hollow point because of the larger wound channel, so I was just thinking of covering all the bases by alternating between the two. Looking forward to your suggestions! thanks

Tj

2. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
  4. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    No problem, if that link doesn't answer all your questions come back and ask some more. :D

5. Dan334

Dan334 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lots of opinions in the thread Bobo posted above.  Were I to choose a FMJ for the P3AT, I think I'd opt for Doubletap's new 95 Grain loading...fastest .380 factory load available:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=235

In larger calibers, adequate FMJ penetration is a "given" but in a .380, I see the velocity boost as "insurance".  I would normally never consider alternating rounds in one of my primary defensive weapons but I'm considering it in my P3AT BUG.   For me, that combination would be DPX & Doubletap FMJ.  I have a shipment of the latter enroute to test out for function and accuracy as I type this.

6. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Packer did a wet pack test not too long ago and found the American Eagle .380 FMJ to be an excellent penetrator.

7. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Lots of opinions in the thread Bobo posted above.  Were I to choose a FMJ for the P3AT, I think I'd opt for Doubletap's new 95 Grain loading...fastest .380 factory load available:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=235

In larger calibers, adequate FMJ penetration is a "given" but in a .380, I see the velocity boost as "insurance".  I would normally never consider alternating rounds in one of my primary defensive weapons but I'm considering it in my P3AT BUG.   For me, that combination would be DPX & Doubletap FMJ.  I have a shipment of the latter enroute to test out for function and accuracy as I type this.
    [/quote]

Hay Dan now I like that!! Thanks!! what's your opinion on alternating your loads between hollow point and FMJ?

Tj

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
  9. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
  10. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Federal doesn't make EFMJ for .380. They make a full 9mm version but that won't work in a P3AT. If they did, I would use it. I use EFMJ and HST in my XD-45 right now.
    ;) ;) ;)

11. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Federal American Eagle FMJ in .380 is one of the more powerful FMJ loads in that caliber and recoil is similar to the Corbon DPX HP that many carry. It makes good practice ammo.

12. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Oops Sorry Dan didn't see what you said about considering alternating loads, let me know what you find out after you get your shipment of Double Tap, after which I'll decide if I'll pickup a few boxes paned on getting a box of 357, and 45/70 might just throw in a box or two of the 380 stuff. Thanks!

Tj