Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blued PF-9 and am considering having the slide coated. Several people have done the HC through various places, but I would like to know if it is the best coating for this gun. Are there other coatings that are functionally better with the mechanics and mating surfaces? I would like to have a couple of these guns and mod them, so I would lkke to keep costs low. That way, I can make trigger mods, etc., and not be over-extended in the money into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, in my opinion HC is about as good as it gets, others are probably equal in many ways, but the fact Kel Tec will do an upgrade, your slide and $75 for a HC makes it the best way to go as far as I'm concerned. There too if you have a problem with finish or anything related to the slide you can send it back to KT and it is covered, where as if you use another vendor and your slide needs replaced you will get a new slide but you would have the expense of re coating it yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
CCR frequently offers a great deal for their CPII nickel-boron plating to KTOG members.

They claim that CPII "offers outstanding rust and corrosion protection Up to 10 times the protection of other plating such as Nickel/Teflon and Chrome."

I had my PF9 done and have been very happy with the results and the customer service.

My first gen P32 will eventually either go to CCR or to Mikey for nickel plating.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
You cannot easily beat hard chrome. From Kel-tec's vendor, Accurate Plaing and Weaponry:

PLATED FINISH: INDUSTRIAL HARD CHROME, On Blued or Stainless Firearms.
Hard Chrome offers the best all-around properties of any finish available for firearms that exists today. Hard Chrome, when applied to a steel, or stainless steel surface that has been properly prepared, will not chip or peel. No mis-understanding here, Hard Chrome is not Bumper Chrome. We are not talking about thick layers of softer Chrome made to flow and eventually peel.

This is INDUSTRIAL Chrome used to make tooling stronger and more wear resistant. How hard? The hardness rating averages 65 R.C., or about 1000 on the Vickersscale. Its friction co-efficient is .1 (point one) when working with all surfaces chromed. Polishing the surface decreases the friction co-efficienteven further. The salt spray ratings average around 100 plus hours. The surfaces available are Matte hard Chrome Finishes are a light grey and completely non-reflective, Brushed Hard Chrome Finishes are the easiest to clean and have a very low reflectivity.
http://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing/finishes-metal-finishes.html

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
My HC P3AT has held up very well and if my PF9 wasn't ceracoated I would opt for the HC version.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nothing beats factory hard chrome. However a factory hard chrome pistol comes with hard chrome barrel and slide lock pin. I don't know if you get all that with a trade. 2nd to any plating be it nickel or whatever is cerakote.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
My P3AT is nickle plated and I just had my PF-9 hard chromed. I prefer the hard chrome for many reasons.

The slide on my P3AT is hard to get a grip on. Instead of a satin nickle it was plated with a more glossy nickle finish. This makes racking the slide difficult. The nickle is great for protecting the metal. A satin nickle is preferable though.

I had Ron Mahovsky Metalife hard chrome my CZ82 and am very pleased with it. When I decided to replace the 2 1/2 year old Duracoat* job that was on my PF-9, I knew I wanted the Metalife method of hard chroming done to it. Why? Hard chrome is much easier to grip than non-satin nickle plating is, it is harder than nickle, and the hard chrome surfaces are much more durable than Kel-Tec's blueing is. Hard chrome is also more wear resistant than any other plating or coating method.

Good luck.

*(The condition of the Duracoat on my gun was compromised by me and is not necessarily a reflection on its durability. Had I done several things differently the beautiful camo job that Golden-Loki did for me would have held up better.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live very close to Accurate Plating and had them Cerakote a sig 220 slide and hard chrome the barrel. The quality and craftsmanship is awesome. The chrome finish is perfect and appears to be a very hard finish. I would highly recommend them and I'm sure they will see my business in the future.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Best Coating for Slide

I would lkke to keep costs low.
"best" and "low cost" are two things that rarely seem to go together

hard Chrome is sho-nuff a hard as nails finish .
Pretty too, if you like shinny sheeit...and I do:D

Another finish that's near as durable are the blackened metal treatment finishes like Glock's tenifer, S&W's melonite and Sig's nitron (all pretty much the same process as I understand it)
and one of the most durable, hard finishes found ...exceeding all the paint spray 'n bake coatings .

speaking of paint spray 'n bake...
for a low cost alternative, Lauer Duracoat or Brownell's spray coat are pretty DIY friendly products .
If you can spray Krylon, you can Duracoat a pistol yourself.

The other popular spray paint, Cerakote is more durable, but less DIY friendly... and to prep "right" you need a blast cabinet with aluminum oxide media

..L.T.A.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
hard Chrome is sho-nuff a hard as nails finish .
Pretty too, if you like shinny sheeit...and I do:D
Actually, it is not at all shiny but is a matt, non-reflective surface, sort of a light grey in color. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wait, so i can send my pf9 to KelTec and have them HC it? how much does that cost? Sorry i've been under a rock and haven't heard of this before, lol.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
I believe a hard chrome exchange is $75. Call KT for details.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a PF-9 and it is starting to get surface rust on the slide. Is this common because I have many firearms and have never seen this problem as log as I kept up the cleaning and oiling. I am going on about 17 years of gun ownership and have never experienced this issue. I take my silicon rag and at least wipe the gun down after shooting minimun till I get to cleaning them. Is this just a KEL TEC issue and will this chrome exchange help with the rust. Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is this just a KEL TEC issue
1. No, guns that are made of steel will eventually rust if not properly cared for.
Unfortunately the sweat & oils from our bodies are not good for guns.
Any scratch, nick, dent, etc (including just plain use of said gun) will crack the coating (blued, nickel, hc) & allow moisture & air to seep in & cause rust.

will this chrome exchange help with the rust.
2. HC (hard chrome) is more resistant to scratches, dents, nicks etc. than bluing or nickel finishes, so yes, it will help prevent rust.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1. No, guns that are made of steel will eventually rust if not properly cared for.
Unfortunately the sweat & oils from our bodies are not good for guns.
Any scratch, nick, dent, etc (including just plain use of said gun) will crack the coating (blued, nickel, hc) & allow moisture & air to seep in & cause rust.

Understood but, I have never had issues. I don't carry this gun as often as my Glock. Before I put all my guns away I always at minimum wipe the slide down with a silicon rag. I contacted KEL TEC and they want to charge $70 + what it'll cost to ship to them to parkerize it. Will this help? I don't know is there any cheaper solution? The gun only cost me about $260. To pay $70+ for a $260 gun I don't know if it's worth it to me. I can tell you this I will probaly never buy a Kel Tec again .For what I paid for the gun and the money I'll pay to have it parkerized I could have bought a Ruger LC9 or for $50 more a KAHR CM9. I guess you get what you pay for and I'll take this as a learning experience.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hate to break it to you but the Ruger would rust the same. Kahr is stainless but it would have cost you almost 2x the Keltec. You can do parker yourself for well under $70.00. Very easy process and the results will make for a very rust resistant finish. Tons of info online. With a pint of parker solution you can make gallons of finished product.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts