Best ammo?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Boonie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Boonie

Boonie New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    i would like to know witch is better for a p3at full metal jacket or hollow point. and you reason why. also what does everybody use?

2. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I shoot FMJ at the range and carry hollow-points. My P-3AT eats either equally well.

3. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Depends on what you want to do with it. Usually FMJ at the range, couple of round of SD or one mag. (depends on how many I have left and if I can get more). Carry with SD (hollow point) ammo. BTW use brass cased not steel or aluminium. (hope I didn't start that debate again ::)

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    FMJ is range fodder only. The penetration with FMJs means complete pass through as does the use of Rem Golden Sabers. GoldenLoki has tested the Rem GS here: http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm. There are other online tests available that show the same results with Rem GS. Over penetration is the greatest risk next to complete misses in any urban area. This is why I only use HP SD ammo. Gold Dots, Cor Bon, and Critical Defense seem to function and perform well.

5. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    .380 FMJ simply will not provide sufficient shocking power or enhanced wounding in this small round. Since the .380 is at the bottom end of acceptable defense loadings, you really do need to use ammo which provides the best possible chance of disabling or putting down the BG quickly. FMJ is most likely simply going to make a small, neat hole, with little "shock" or stopping value. A decent JHP will enhance the .380 significantly, and the best I have found now is the new Hornady Critical Defense round. With its polymer "filler" in the hollow, it provides excellent penetration of even fairly heavy clothing without clogging of the hollow point, and thus enhances the expansion of the round in soft tissue. Tests I have seen so far indicate decent expansion, and therefore enhanced "stopping" power so essential in this small round. Also feeds and fires flawlessly in my P3AT. Others have found good resuilts from Speer Gold Dots also.

Jim R

6. Boonie

Boonie New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    what about the federal premium personal defence rounds. has anybody had a jam with this ammo? i polished the ramp and it does better but what if it does it again when i need it. i dont really have a certian brand of ammo just what i can buy localy. they dont stock much here in winchester tn. also what is the maxuim grain i can use in it.

7. Boonie

Boonie New Member

Jan 11, 2010
     BTW use brass cased not steel or aluminium. (hope I didn't start that debate again ::)[/quote]

why brass ?

8. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Steel or aluminum cased ammo is not recommended for Kel Tec products. Problems in feeding, firing and extraction are issues here. As for what JHP works, most of these small pistols can sometimes be ammo fussy. What works/feeds well in mine, may not do so in yours. If generally your P3 works well with ball, then you just have to find a JHP that will will feed and eject reliably in yours. To be trusted, you should find a brand that you can run at least 50-100 rounds through (after a good break in period with 100-200 rounds of FMJ) without a problem before relying on that ammo.

Jim R

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You have to proof your gun before you can rely on it. Once you have proofed it and it's flawless for at least 200 rounds, then go to the HP ammo. Pick the ammo you want to use, test it, if it's reliable, carry it. It's that simple.

As to grain weight, I use and handload 100gr FMJ. 100gr bullets are generally the max weight you can buy in factory ammo as well as generally the highest weight you can find loading data for. The lone exception I'm aware of is the Nosler loading manual which lists 115gr Nosler FMJ bullets for loading.

10. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I haven't found any fmj that don't feed thru mine yet.
    I've shot many different kinds of HP's with no problems yet.
    critical defense...gold dots....corbon...remington umc.
    currently carrying corbon...but ordered more critical defense from cabelas today.

11. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    For my P3AT I rely on Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo. There is a video on their web site that shows that they guarrante expansion and you do need expansion with this small caliber pistol. I am not tryig to insult anyone else's choices and I respect their choice, but I feel very strong about this ammo. Also I agree FMJ is going to just make a clean hole and I want to stop the bad guy from hurting me. I have never had a FTF or any other issue with this ammo. Watch the video, it convinced me. Hope this helps you.

12. Boonie

Boonie New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    who has the hornady ammo in stock? also i have noticed if i just put 5 rounds in my magazine it seemes to do a little better. but with 6 in it hangs up on the first cycle. should i leave one in the chamber. is there any chance of firing because of the little gun does not have a safty.

13. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Double action pistols like this are designed to carry with "one in the chamber" That is the primary reason for the long, fairly heavy trigger pull. They work just like a revolver in that sense, and like a revolver, do not need a "safety" No problems with this as long as you carry it in a good holster or pocket protector type which fully covers the trigger guard and protects it from accidental discharge. Can"t fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Jim R

14. B2Unit

B2Unit New Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I am a long time shooter but am fairly new to the Kel-tec P3AT. After having some problems resolved by the company and having my weapon returned I have had excellent (100%) results with two rounds.

Win White Box - 95 gr. FMJ for practice and to break in the weapon (approx 700 rds)

Double Tap- 95 gr. controlled expansion JHP (approx 300 rds)

Don't really plan on putting many more rounds through it with the exception of scheduled training to stay up on handling skills with a OD/BUG.

B2

15. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm new here and just purchased my p3at a couple days ago, so I hope I don't start a fight my first time out of the gate. :-/

I find it hard to believe with the fact that a .380 acp in the first place being a weaker round than say a 9mm, .40S&W, etc that the Remington Golden Sabers are a problem.

What is the cause of the problem? Do they not expand?

Otherwise, if a .380 JHP will pass through a human body resulting in collateral damage, wouldn't that be true with larger calibers as well?

16. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Exactly, they don't expand well out of these guns.

17. Boonie

Boonie New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    well i ordered the hornady cd off cabales last night it said 3 or 4 weeks. dang :'( but better late than never. thanks for all the advice everbody yall have been very helpful.

18. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm assuming you don't mean Kel-tec guns, but short barreled .380's in general that the Rem Golden Sabers don't expand well.

I have read a lot of posts on many forums where that is a good round. So, now I'm confused since you read so many different things.

19. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Yes, thats what I meant. I guess I should have used a quote in the reply. Sorry about that.

20. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    The best ammo is the one that works good in your gun and you shoot well. yes I carry hp in my weapon but fmj is not out of the question either.Shot placement is #1 at all times.