Bersa Finger Extensions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gilbertfamily2000, Mar 22, 2008.

1. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Ordered a Bersa finger extension (not a +1 extension)...the KTOGer's that have them seem happy with them - just noticed that one guy had "dropped mag" problems until he installed a metal mag catch. If I recall, the pressure he put on the mag when firing caused the mag to drop.

Anyone care to relate any difficulties with the Bersa finger extension - so I'll know what to watch out for?

Much obliged,
    GoVols

2. Dan-O

Dan-O Active Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    Never tried one. I am a big fan of the KT +1 finger extension.

[​IMG]

3. kubmiester

kubmiester New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I use the Basera finger extensions for my P3AT. They sliped on without any modifications as far as I cen remember, and work great. They help with the .380's kick nicely. I use the NAA finger extensions on my P-32 magazines, but needed the hole slightly elongated.

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    They are on all of mine and have not had any problems.

[​IMG]

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I have the Bersa on my gun and, although I'd like try the +1 some day, I'm very happy with this extensionl. I had mag drops and actually called Kel-Tec about the problem, the fellow I spoke to said that the EXTENSION WAS NOT THE PROBLEM! Kel-Tec sent me a replacent catch and spring but I never got to try the replacement catch. It was researching P3AT mag drops that led me to this forum. I bought the metal catch of a fellow from this site and installed the metal catch - not a single mag drop with the metal catch. BTW, I never slammed my mag home. It is my opinion that for very little cost Kel-Tec could install MIMed catches save many of us & them a bunch of aggravation. Wouldn't hurt their reputation either.

Take care ...

6. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies...I got the extension in the mail today, installed it, and I love it! Can't wait to shoot it!

Sprinter1 - I have seen the picture you posted above before, and I liked the look of your gun so much, that I had to try the

1) Bersa extension
    2) your energy absorbing pads
    3) your grip cover.

All 3 are excellent accessories for this weapon. ktaddons.com is a great site!

Sure wish someone would start selling those metal mag catches again!

GoVols

7. Dolomite

Dolomite New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I would think problems with the mag falling out while firing due to the Bersa mag extension are pretty rare - so I do have a question:

Since it makes sense that the finger rest on the Bersa mag base would get pulled down a bit (ring finger pressure causing downward movement), I think maybe my pinky finger being tucked under neath the Bersa extension probably counters the movement and ensure the mag stays in the gun when firing. (that is where my curled little finger stays when I fire almost all subcompacts - G26, XD Sub, P3AT, etc - I've got huge mitts)

So - did the "one guy" with the Bersa issue have his pinky finger on top the finger extension? I know the Bersa extension, when installed on a the Bersa .380 is actually a "pinky rest". I could see where if someone crammed all their fingers onto the front strap of a P3AT, that little finger would want to work it way off under the stout recoil we have to deal with.

Anyway - here's my Bersa extension - after I unleashed the un-holy terror of a dremel tool on it - it's been nothing but good to me. The mag release button is original and when I can, I depress the mag release button while inserting the mag.

[​IMG]

8. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Is it pretty easy to replace the mag catch and spring? From the exploded parts diagram, it looks like it should be fairy easy but, sometimes these little springs are tricky.

9. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007

Dolomite,
    I think the fellow KTOGer with the Bersa finger extension issue replied above (see BillK's post)...he found that his problem was with the mag catch, and not the extension. He solved it by installing a metal mag catch.

You are probably right about your pinky finger helping - it sure couldn't hurt. I hold my gun the same way. After handling the gun quite a bit yesterday, I don't think I'll have any problem with the mag dropping due to pressure on the finger extension.

GoVols

10. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    Is it pretty easy to replace the mag catch and spring? From the exploded parts diagram, it looks like it should be fairy easy but, sometimes these little springs are tricky.[/quote]

gvaldeg1,
    It looks pretty easy to replace...I saw a guy do it in person, and there is also a video on youtube (just search for p3at mag catch and you will get a few videos dealing with the gun - one specifically showing how to replace the mag catch - try this link...[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA4tb32UIs]P3AT Mag Catch Replacement[/ame]

GoVols

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Yes it is pretty easy (as long as you punch out just the frame pins and not the other pin (hammer pin?) like I did the first time!). BTW, Kel-Tec included a small instruction sheet along with the replacement catch.

Humm... I thought every, one in spite of having an extension installed, curled their pinky finger under the grip. Just tried getting my pinky on the grip to find that maybe a third of the pinky gets on the point of the Bersa extension. I'm not a big guy and would guess I have at most medium size hands. However do see how someone who could get their pinky on the grip with an extention would/could put back and downward pressure on the mag. That extra pressure might just cause the mag to drop. Still feel that the way to go is with a metal catch.

Take care ...

12. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I must be one of the lucky ones, I put my pinky under my Bersa and after 400 rds have never had a mag drop on me, but like others here, I always press the mag release while inserting the mag. :)

13. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    +1
    Over 1000 rounds, no problems

14. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    +1
    Over 1000 rounds, no problems[/quote]

Wow...over 1,000 rounds on a p3at...you must enjoy shooting the thing! How long have you had that particular gun?

What mods/accessories have you performed/installed on that particular gun?

GoVols

15. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Bought June of 06
    My only MOD is a dab of yellow paint on the front sight
    and the Bersa/NAA extensions.