Bent recoil springs?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Poppers_2-4, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I shot more WWB through the blue gun (no problems) and when I went to clean it I found the recoil springs were a little bent. Is that somewhat common? When I removed them, they were at ~a 15 degree angle, but the gun never malfunctioned. I wrote KT and the just emailed me that new ones are on the way.

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    mine are too, and I haven't had any problems lately. My SIGMA's recoil springs are somewhat bent and have you ever seen the recoil spring on an AK? Nobody seems to be calling their reliability into question. You needn't be worried in my very humble opinion.

-Art... who doesn't like using acronyms much.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That is why the guiderod runs down the center of them! They can only bend so far.

-Scott

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    slightly bent is norm.

mine are proably "bent" more than normal and still function fine and I don't "need" to change them.

a couple things to do to keep the springs the absolute best they can be include

ensure the ends of the spring are seated on the recoil rod head and in the hole in the slide. I always give the outer a triwst to screw it into the slide (CCW).

another is to ensure the slide hitting the frame occures before (or less than one coil) before the spring goes solid. you can observe this by looking through the grip/slide and see if the slide touches the frame at full recoil position.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Poppers_2-4,

Don't worry about it!

Mine was the same after about 150 -200 rounds. I kept using them and for some reason they straightened out again on their own after a while. At about 2000 rounds they were still working fine, but I thought I was pushing it and replaced them anyway. The replacements were free - so why not?

Bobo

6. Ziggy

Ziggy New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm one of the lucky ones who had the springs pop right out the front of my gun. They were VERY bent/crooked. When I sent the slide back to KT I sent the springs, too, and requested new ones...they sent the same bent springs back (with no new ones). I assume if KT sent them back, they're safe.

7. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Those little springs bend so don't worry about a thing. Kinda freaked me out the first time I saw that mine were bent too so don't feel bad ;)

8. Potlicquor

Potlicquor New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Bent recoil springs are a norm for my K-T pistols, eight plus years and still working fine!  :cool: [smiley=thumbup.gif]

9. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I read just about everything I could about recoil springs here and was ready to give Wolf a call for the #'s 9-11-13 springs but I don't think I'll bother. Thanks for your help/advice.

Jeeeez there are some good people here!!!