Bent Recoil Spring

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MirageES, Feb 3, 2009.

1. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Well, after using the "Search" button and browsing through quite a few threads, I could not find an answer to my question. Someone I know has a P-3AT they bought used, and when I broke it down to clean it for them I noticed that the inner of the two recoil springs (part # 190 in the Second Gen. Manuel) is bent. Is this going to interfere with, or prevent proper firing? Also, what could cause this? I want to know so I can see if there is anything I can do anything to prevent it from happening to my P-3AT. Thanks, and I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it.

--David

2. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    This would be considered to be a normal wear condition. You should call Kel Tec and ask for replacement springs, they may ask for the serial number on the gun. They will mail them out at no charge. I recommend getting both springs and replace them together but it should work great as is.

Billy

3. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I would suggest that to the person, but they bought it used, and I thought that Kel-Tec would only send new parts for the original owner.

--David

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

The newer of my 2 P3ATs (JPMxx) came with somewhat of a bent/crooked inner spring. I've had no problems with the gun so I guess that unless the spring is bent really badly or iinked it should not be an issue.

Good luck...

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Nothing at all wrong with the spring you have.

Put a new spring in it and shoot 50 rounds, and the new spring will be bent too.

It's just something they do after the spring takes it's initial set.

The guide-rod, and reverse wind between the inner & outer springs, makes it a non-issue.

rc

6. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Like i said in my introduction post, I am new to the workings of guns. I'm 22 and fired a gun for the first time last Wednesday (Jan. 28) so I wasn't sure what to expect. I put about 97 rounds through my P-3AT and didn't bend the spring, so I thought the other was abnormal. Apparently the other IS normal. Now I know, (and knowing is half the battle.) Thanks again.

--David

7. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I just took a look at mine and its bent as well. I just called it Bill Clinton and put it back in!! Mine has always fired just fine with no problems whatsoever.

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Both my springs are slightly bent, the inner spring more obviously. Still works perfect. Unless it is severely bent I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it clean, lubed and use quality ammo.

9. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG. Congrads on your recent finding of guns. Enjoy it..it seems to turn into an addiction which in returns leads to an asset of firearms.