Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently purchased a new P3AT and absolutely love this pistol!

I did the F&B as recommended here, and ran 75 rounds through it the first time at the range with no issues whatsoever (50 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ and 25 rounds of MagTech FMJ - I know I shouldn't go over 50 without cleaning but was having so much fun that I couldn't stop ;D).

When I took it apart to clean it the next day, apart from the gun being pretty dirty inside (I'll stop at 50 rounds next time), I noticed that my guide rod and springs were slightly bent! I called Kel-Tec and they are sending me replacements but I was just wondering if anyone else had seen anything similar and if it was something I should really be concerned with?

I'd love to know if it was something I had (or hadn't) done prior to shooting the first time so I can avoid it in the future. The Kel-Tec technician just said 'they see this sometimes' but didn't offer any potential causes.

TIA for the feedback.

PS - My buddy purchased one the same time I did, and his ran flawless at the range as well (following a F&B)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep....put it on a flat surface with the large end over the edge, rolled it and you could clearly see it was bent.

The total displacement from level/straight was between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
sorry there bdog... forgot to welcome you to ktog and congrates on the p3at.

as you can summmize, a bent rod is unusal, but kt should correct that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I expect my new guide rod in the next day or so and will keep you posted!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I lurked on this forum and picked up a lot of good tips prior to posting. I look forward to more interaction in the future!

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I'd guess it got too hot and warped during the high speed screw-lathe turning operation. (Not enough coolant flow, or dull tooling, for some reason.)

But not to worry. They only did it once on 2nd. shift, the last Monday in May, right after lunch.

I'd just straighten it, and shoot it, until I figured out if it does it again.
It's not exactly a highly stressed, or critical part if it bends again.

If it does, you have another, and possibly bigger problem going on in there somewhere.

In that case, it's time for a trip to the mothership.

rcmodel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.