Benelli Nova barrel

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by jenshubby, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jenshubby

jenshubby New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I bought a Benelli Nova used and didn't inspect it very well (BIG lesson learned). Come to find out the choke was screwed down too tight into the barrel and I can't get it out!! I had other try and no luck. Any hints? Anyone have a spare barrel in a camo scheme they might want to part with? Thanks.

2. gremlinmt

gremlinmt New Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Send it to Benelli for service.

3. I would think a competent gunsmith could work it out.

4. jenshubby

jenshubby New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    A gunsmith is a viable option if nothing I can do without damaging the barrel works. Then again, it also depends on the price they will charge.

I haven't dealt with Benelli customer service since I bought the gun used. I do not know if the previous owner voided anything by possibly cranking the choke tube down further than it needs to go (about 1/16 to 3/16th of an inch below the crown). Thanks for the advice!!

5. jenshubby

jenshubby New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Ok, silly question...maybe. Since this is my first shotgun that uses a choke, is the choke reversed thread or normal?

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I only have one shotgun with screw in chokes and it has conventional threads.  
    Lefty-loosy, righty-tighty.  :)

You might try carefully heating the choke, possibly while keeping the barrel cool with an ice pack or something. Then wrap the choke in a rag or something and put some vice grips on it. Go slowly and be careful. If that doesn't work, talk to a local gunsmith and see what he thinks.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I think I have dated BOTH of them in the past!

-Scott

8. jenshubby

jenshubby New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Yeah, I just talked to the the financial officer of my family and she's ok with me talking to a gunsmith, just so long as it falls in the "cheap" range.