Belt Clip?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by inmate, Mar 9, 2011.

1. inmate

inmate New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I just don't think I get it. What are the advantages to using it vs. a holster? I personally like pocket carry just for the shear convenience of it, I'm not sure about the open trigger bit and isn't it a bit "gangsta" to have no holster? What about shooting, doesn't it get in the way of your hand with such small firearms? I'm not against the clip or anything of the sort but just don't see the advantage. Can some of you guys give me your ideas on this.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'm with you inmate.  I'm not a big belt clip fan.  If I'm carrying the gun for any period of time, I want it in a proper holster that protects the trigger and the gun, and supports the gun and keeps it properly oriented. Although some will argue, I think the clip violates the KISS principle, plus, it's ugly and sometimes gets in the way.

Having said that, I can see some applications for the belt clip.  If you are wearing clothing that does not easily accomodate a holster, perhaps jogging or bicycling, the clip offers a solution.  Perhaps an LEO may want to clip the gun inside a ballistic vest.  Also the clip could be used to secure the gun in a backpack or even to a strap on your visor when driving.  And of couse some folks like to just clip the gun to their pocket, waistband or belt.  So long as it doesn't go off and shoot me, I don't mind.   :)

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    A holster is best because it is best to keep the trigger safely covered with a holster.

No, it is NOT "gangsta." There are some situations that the belt clip comes in handy. I have the belt clip on my P3AT and the P3AT clip on my PF-9. I have been known to carry both with the belt clip. I see the belt clip as a convenience but not an EDC devise.

No, they do not get ion the way. As I said above, I have the P3AT belt clip on my PF-9. Even with the hefty recoil of the PF-9, the P3AT clip does not get in the way. I can't tell the belt clip is on either gun when at the range. The result is that I can carry both in my waistband and all that's visible is the belt clip. That's the whole idea and the main advantage to the belt clip. To passersby the belt clip looks like a pocket knife with a belt clip on it. The effect is VERY effective.

I hope this helps. The belt clip is just one option among many. BUT, anyone who uses the belt clip will stress the need to exercise extreme  caution when sticking your gun in your waistband. You don't want to hurt the family jewels. :-[

I've found that the belt clip actually helps with retention of both guns. They both feel more secure to me when holstered. My P3AT rides in my ankle holster most days and my PF-9 rides in my day planner. Both holsters are "universal" and made to fit similar size guns. The belt clip makes both guns feel more solidly anchored in both holsters.

4. inmate

inmate New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I never thought about the LEO and the vest. It's funny one of my closest friends is a LEO and we were all over the state one day looking for a holster he could attach to his vest under his uniform.

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  6. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 New Member

Mar 9, 2011
  7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    IIRC it comes with a special frame pin that has a loop or some way to attatch the lanyard. You just replace the rear most frame pin.

As far as the OPs question. I had a belt clip on my P32 for years and never had any trouble using it as a pocket clip. However I still think a pocket holster is a better option, you could see the part of the grip and frame where the S/N is when it was clipped to my pocket. As long as you don't have anything else in the same pocket I think its pretty safe. I've thought about putting it back on to see if wifey would like it as the P32 is pretty much her's now.

CJ

8. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I love the belt clip. In jeans it's all I use, a pocket holster is just to bulky for me. In khakis, slacks, and cargo shorts with deeper pockets I use a RJ leather or uncle mikes #1.

YMMV

9. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Like rhino, I love my clip too.

The safety thing - for the life of me, I can't imagine any way that trigger could get pulled while it's in my pocket. My pants would be up around my nipples before it would even get staged. And I usually don't carry around piano wire in my pocket that could get hung up on a door handle or a passing subway car.

After it's out, same rules as a holster.

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I forgot some other reasons I don't use the belt clip. I don't want the gun up against my skin. Nor do I want an oily gun contacting my clothing, pockets etc. ymmv...

11. inmate

inmate New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Yea, I'm still in agreement with you Tx. I don't think there's anything about it for me, I just prefer a pocket holster.

12. snookking

snookking Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I love mine I wear it in my waistband working all day. No probs I just keep it oiled.

13. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i use a belt clip on my p3at.  i got one on a p11.  got one on a glock 27, yes a glock,,, got one on a s&w model 36.  i am going to put one on a p40.  i never had any problems with any of them.  the belt clip is one of the best items i have put on a gun,,, any gun.  do i still use a holster?  yes i do,,when i am on duty and when the dress calls for it.  other times the belt clip is the way i go.  the belt clip makes the gun very hard to see, no matter what i wear.  what about the trigger,,, no problem.  my pants and under wear/t-shirt takes the place of the holster and covers the trigger.   i have never heard and/or seen where pants/underwear/t-shirt,,,etc... pulled a trigger and made a gun go off.  if anybody has, show me the facts.   fringers makes guns go off, not pants/underwear/t-shirts.  many mango season ago i used a rubber band on the butt to hold the gun in place.  old school,,, older leo's will know this.  so to get back to point,,,the belt clip lets you go deep undercover vr what a holster can do.

14. jfnixon

jfnixon New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    OK, but what about during the draw? Your fingers would be near the exposed trigger. I haven't tried a clip, but when I grip a holstered gun, my trigger finger can't touch the trigger even by mistake until the gun is gripped and partially out. I can't misgrip and have the 2nd finger get the trigger either, with a holster. Is there just no problem with this in practice?

15. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    the belt clip sets the gun in your pants all most the same as the gun would be setting in a holster,, just lower and closer to your body. you will grip the butt of the gun in the same maner as you would if the gun was in a holster. your fringer/fringers would be on the outside of your pants (same as the outside of holster) and on the butt of gun. so drawing with a belt clip is the same as drawing with a holster. when i draw my belt clip gun i draw in the same way as i would with a holster. i don't put my hand inside my pants to draw, i don't put my hand inisde my holster when i draw. you draw the gun the same way as if the gun was in a holster.

16. jfnixon

jfnixon New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    It sounds like the grip protrudes from the pocket if you can grip without putting a hand in the pocket. I asked Mr. Google for a pic, but didn't find one that really showed the p3at in a pocket. Dos anyone have a link to a pic showing the level of concealment and access for a p3at held in the pocket with a clip? Thanks.

17. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I'll try to take a pic later when the wife gets home.

My P3AT is completely concealed, only the belt clip shows when I have it in a pocket or on my belt. The butt of the pistol does not show at all.

Only your thumb goes into the pocket or behind your belt, you slide your thumb into the pocket with your fingers on the outside. Basically only my thumb starts the drawing of the pistol...as it slides out, my first finger is on the end of the clip, helping to pull it out. Once clear, my fingers can then get a grip.

At no time do any fingers go anywhere near the trigger, until the pistol is all the way out of the pocket or from behind my belt.

It's very safe, and after a bit of practice, a fast and easy draw.

I have some form of belt clip on every CCW pistol I own, even my Colt Defender Plus (1911). Been carrying that way for over 30 years without a problem.

[edit]Here is a pic with my P3AT in my cargo shorts (not the prettiest picture) the pistol just looks like a knife in my pocket. I usually wear a shirt with the tail untucked.[/edit]

[​IMG]

18. jfnixon

jfnixon New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Great, thanks! I appreciate it. It does look like a knife in the pocket.

19. chrispens

chrispens New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I carry in the small of the back with the right side mounted clip.  It's very comfortable, but not to the point that I forget that it is there.  I pretty much carry the p-3at with me everywhere (that I legally can) now instead of having to dress a certain way to conceal my Springfield XD40 Subcompact.

20. gmoney35c

gmoney35c New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    i also prefer using belt clip. Has advantage of best concealment and can be used on virtually any type of pants (jeans, khaki, shorts, sweat pants, etc). B/C of the clip I find myself carrying p3at more than glock 27 and xd sc9.