belt clip or not....also, what is a BUG?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gilbertfamily2000, Dec 6, 2007.

1. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Hey all,
    What can you all tell me about the 3AT belt clips? Any info helpful, especially want to know if the clip gets in the way or makes it uncomfortable to shoot the gun.

Also, I have seen several refer to small guns as BUG guns...could someone explain to the rookie what that is?

Thanks,
    GoVols

2. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    A BUG stands for a Back Up Gun.

Originally only cops carried them, but more and more "regular" folks are now.

I pretty much carry my P3-AT as my BUG to my PF-9 when I am fully concealed. When I get them back, the PF-9 (s) will be BUG to the Sig when I carry open.

The belt clip isn't a hindrance for me when I shoot at all, but I do have small hands. I carry with it 99 percent of the time.

3. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    If you're asking about using a belt clip alone, don't do it. If you intend to use it inside a holster, it is redundant, but should be no problem. The gun needs to be holstered for a variety of reasons, the first of which is to cover the trigger for safety reasons.

If your signature means you live in Big Orange Country, I'll be watching!!!! ;D

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I had a used P11 w/ clip. It did get in the way of a holster I use so I removed it(didn't feel like cutting on a 55$ holster ;) ) Can't say as to the P3 but I wouldn't carry w/ one anyway , 'no way to cover the trigger safely' +1.

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    check out the new fobus holster for the p3at, then you can keep the belt clip mounted.

6. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    All arguments about trigger safety aside, I use the belt clip on my P-32 to carry in the front of my pants. It does not get in the way of shooting, nor does it interfere with my Don Hume JIT slide holster that I sometimes wear. It's all about what works for you, but I recommend the belt clip.

7. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I use my belt clip daily and it works well for me. I use it like an IWB on my right side. I find it easier to draw that way than carrying in my pocket, also, it seems to be safer that way. It's not uncomfortable to carry this way for me and it doesn't get in the way while shooting. Just my thoughts. Also, this type of carry is great if you ride a motorcycle... which should be a Harley!  :)

8. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I like the accesory belt clip as well. Iwear it in the front of my pants to the right a bit.Like the way it rides low,with just the clip and bit of the rear of the frame visable.Recently got a discontinued Desantis suede waistband clip holster(made for the p-11)..Will trim it down and give that a go.Will probably stay with the clip however.With long trigger pull safety issue does not concern me.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    OK, not to advise one way or the other. I have a belt clip on both my P3 & P40. The P40 is carried IWB @ 4:30, no holster. Clip is a must for me in that situation.

HOWEVER, I do not carry the P3 in the same manner. The lighter trigger pull does not FEEL as safe TO ME. The clip on the P3 does have it's uses. When I carry the P3 in the top of my boot as a BUG for one. Also it allows me to put the P3 places such as the top of the sun visor and be sure it will remain there.

The extra thickness the clip gives IS a small problem when carrying in a front pocket holster, but not a major one. If I was carrying only in a holster I'd pull the clip in a heartbeat. As I do not always carry that way the clip opens up a few more options. On the balance I've decided to leave the clip on.

If you run the clip wear gloves when practicing. That little strip of metal can cut you pretty good. In a social situation you won't be worrying about a nick or scrape on your hand. FWIW the clip on the P3 seems to stay tight a lot better than the clip on the P40. Different design I guess makes the difference.

Of course YMMV.

Jim, who while not recomending P3 carry without a holster has been know to sitck it in his pocket without one when investigating a "bump in the nite".

10. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    I thought BUG meant Bunged Up Glock????

Shows you what I know!

--Plex

11. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO
    I have worn a P3AT and a P-11/40 with a belt clip at all times for over three years.

I did a test on the P-11/40, trying to pull the trigger on my P-11/40 with a coat hanger and all I could do was pull out the gun.
    Have not done that test on the P3AT, but I suspect it would pull the trigger.

Notes.
    1. Wear a thick belt that covers the trigger while the gun is in your pants.
    2. Always pay attention when putting the gun on and make sure the trigger is not caught by fold or a wrinkle.
    3. Learn how to draw it without touching the trigger.

Some people here will jump all over you about this form of carry, but according to a poll here, about 1/3 carry this way. Make up your own mind. You must be careful at all times, but maybe that makes you safer than some of the guys that have shot themselves while holstering their guns. Practice with an empty gun until you are comfortable and find out if you can be consistently safe with it.

Shooting with it is not a problem, if you have put blue locktite on the threads of the retaining pin screws.

12. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have a belt clip for my p3at and p11 and have carried both in that manner. I also use a pocket holster for the p3at when my shirt must be tucked in. Recent I bought an IWB holster for the little gun because it was riding too low and was very hard to draw. My new Uncle Mike's size 36 keeps it up far enough that I can easily grasp it and there is a cant to the clip so the gun stays tilted somewhat. I think I like this way better, partially because I agree with RAT76, and because the holster doesn't add much additional bulk. Just my .02.

13. ranger351w

ranger351w New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    What he said!!!
    I have a pf9 and clip is only way to carry.
    But that is MY thing :) Do your own thing

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just to see where it would go I have purposefully restrained myself (difficult) from posting in this thread.  I find it interesting what some people think is "safe enough."

The clip has some GREAT uses.  But no matter what, if there is not something preventing a foreign object from entering the trigger guard (ala a holster) then it is just a matter of "how much" it takes and "when" a NEGLIGENT discharge happens.  In testing I have made it happen in my pocket and in by waistband with my P3AT.  We have heard story after story of it happening in real life (2 in the last couple of weeks right here on this board.)  While I understand some may be willing to take this chance for themselves, they are not just doing it for themselves, they are doing it for every one around them as well as the reputation/effect they will have on all CCW'ing when it does happen.  I do not understand why anyone would take this risk when you can carry the exact same way and slip a desantis nemesis, concealment concepts pocket pal, or other <$20 holster over the pistol, still carry the exact same way, and be totally protected.  The cost benefit v. risk analysis makes it ludicrous to carry without.  

Just like everyone else has been free to post theirs, the above is just MY opinion and I have as much right to express it as you do yours.  Hopefully mine will save a life someday. [​IMG]

-Scott

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Really?  Scott, I know you have made this your issue, but let's not give the truth the last rites.  While I don't use a belt clip on my pistols, I honestly have NEVER seen a single incidence of an AD or ND with ANY Kel-tec related to use of a belt clip.  In the interest of providing accurate information on ktog, please provide links to "story after story of it happening in real life" and the "2 in the last couple of weeks right here on this board".  Inquiring minds want to know.   

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Really?  Scott, I know you have made this your issue, but let's not give the truth the last rites.  While I don't use a belt clip on my pistols, I honestly have NEVER seen a single incidence of an AD or ND with ANY Kel-tec related to use of a belt clip.  In the interest of providing accurate information on ktog, please provide links to "story after story of it happening in real life" and the "2 in the last couple of weeks right here on this board".  Inquiring minds want to know.   
    [/quote]

I am glad you asked:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1196225168/15 Reply #26
    and just today:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194013725/63#63 Reply #60.

Note that I never said they were all about KTs, just about things getting into the trigger guard and it being a matter of "how much" or "when."  

-Scott

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sorry Scott; in the interest of accuracy I have to call BS on this claim before rumors get started.  You are posting this in a P3AT belt clip thread, and your opinion on this matter is well known.

For the record folks, we have exactly ZERO reported ADs with any kel-tec pistol that I am aware of.  

In fact, the only P3AT incidents of which I am aware is that legislator that shot into a bullet proof vest hanging on the door of his office.  He claimed the gun went off when he pressed the mag release, or something equally false and stupid.  Yea, right.  Then a member here was  recently messing around with his P3AT and shot his microwave oven.  IIRC, he thought he had snapcaps in it, or something like that.  Those were not accidental discharges (AD).  They were negligent discharges (ND) and were both 100% not related to the belt clip issue in any way, shape or form.  Nor have I heard of "story after story of it happening in real life", and I don't miss too many threads around here.  

Sorry, that dog won't hunt here.  Not only was this not an AD or a ND, there was no discharge at all.  It would appear that the long, double action, 6 lb trigger pull did it's job and prevented the ND.  A lesser design might have resulted in a very bad ending.

This wasn't even a Kel-tec and no belt clip was involved.  If you see my post in this thread, it is most likely that this was a striker fired, single action AMT 380 that was totally loose in someones back pocket.  The discharge was the result of 100% negligence on the owners part, on several levels.

I am not advocating the use of a belt clip.  Let me be clear.  I don't have any belt clips on my personal guns.  With a holster, I think they are redundant, useless and violate the KISS principle.  Without a holster, I would be uncomfortable for constant carry.  However, I could see where they could be a functional accessory.  Going out to the mailbox?  Clip that P3 in your pocket.  Taking a drive?  Clip one on your visor.  LEOs, making a house call on a felon?  Clip one between your t-shirt and your bullet proof vest.  As a backup, clip one in your cowboy boot.  

What I do advocate is keeping the information that we disseminate on ktog as accurate as possible.  This site is considered by most to the be number one source for accurate information on Kel-tecs.  I'd like to keep it that way.  Under no circumstances will this be the forum where Kel-tec accidental discharge rumors get started on the internet.