Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommends on a keyless gun safe? Looked at the GunVault Micro and Mini. I always check amazon for reviews. Seems to be lots of complaints of eating batteries and button reliability problems. Any first hand experience with GunVault or another brand?

This will be at my bedside. So I like the idea of keyless entry. I have kids so I can't just leave it for the tooth fairy under my pillow.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I have one made by Homak, I wouldn't call it a "safe" because I'm sure you could get into it in a couple minutes with a pry bar or large screwdriver. But it keeps my G23 away from the kids and guests. It's the medium sized one and my 23 can lay flat on the bottom with a little extra room. I picked it because I liked the way it's designed better that Gunvault for where I wanted to put it. I think I've had it about two years and it's still on the original batteries. You can reset the code but I didn't bother because it will go back to it's default when you change the batteries. There is no key to open it but you can use a 9v battery to power it from the outside if the internal batteries fail. There is a little noise when it opens but it's not too loud. I would buy one again.

Edit: If you just need to store one average size pistol you should be fine with the small one.

http://www.homaksecurity.com/PistolBoxes.html

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Top drawer of my night stand works great...and I taught my kids early on about gun safety and what they can and can't play with..never a problem or concern.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I’ve had a Stack-On PDS-500 for years and would highly recommend them.

The Stack On PDS-500 Drawer Safe is part of the Security Plus safe line and is small enough to easily function as a drawer safe, car safe, or desk safe in your home or office. This drawer safe offers the durability, reliability, and trust that come with every Stack-On safe.
Technical Summary:
This Stack-On Strong-Box Drawer Safe features an electronic lock with 2 live-action locking bolts, as well as concealed hinges and a solid-plate steel door that provide even greater security. The lock can be programmed with a safety-key override, which has a time-out period after 3 incorrect combinations are entered and can be programmed to beep/not beep when the keypad is pressed. Pre-drilled mounting holes and hardware are included to allow you to mount this safe to the bottom of any drawer.

The outside dimensions are 11-13/16”(W) x 8-5/8”(D) x 4-3/8”(H), and the internal dimensions are 8.467”(W) x 2.859”(D) x 11.404”(H). It weighs approximately 12.2 lbs.
Recommended For:
The Stack-On Strong-Box Drawer Safe is ideal for securing money, handguns, and other small valuables (do not store CDs or other electronic-storage devices in this safe). It can easily be hidden in a drawer to elude thieves and prevent unwanted access. It is perfect for your home or office and anywhere you need to discreetly hide possessions.
http://www.factory-express.com/STACKON_PDS500_Security_Plus_StrongBox_Drawer_Safe-7399.htm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaQKmJXZ03A[/ame]

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I have one I bought from the Sportsman's Guide 5 years ago that works great. You set the four digit combination and it holds more than one handgun. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I’ve had a Stack-On PDS-500 for years and would highly recommend them.
+1 . . . With the beep turned off ours is virtually silent. Battery life is remarkably long (measured in months) despite being cycled on average twice a day.

Ours usually contains a small 1911 and a pocket gun (Kahr PM40) with easy access to both. If you unlock it before retiring each night, quick access is assured.

If necessary, it will hold a second Kahr and a P-3AT, but it is cramped.

We bought ours locally for about $40, but that was a long time ago (years) so local prices have probably increased.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want HEAVY duty go with a Fort Knox FTK-PB. They have 2 other styles, but I have and really like the FTK-PB:

•10 gauge steel uni-body construction with a massive 3/16" tamper-resistant wraparound door
•Gas-strut-assisted heavyweight door
•Welded and concealed continuous hinge
•Fast opening pushbutton Simplex mechanical locking device (no key, no batteries)
•Durable antique silver textured powder coat finish
•Top and bottom foam cushion lined
•Four pre-drilled bolt down holes
•Limited life time warranty

I have stored four hand guns and 7 magazines in it with room for other small valuables.

(Order from Amazon and get free shipping. If you get their Visa card, you get $30.00 off)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a Barska Bio and it is great, I read all the reviews on Amazon and this was the one that had the best reviews. I did buy it off EbBay though.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Does anyone know if someone makes an all mechanical drawer lock that only requires a one-handed combination of buttons/levers to be pushed. That would allow a bedside drawer to be opened one handed and as quick as you can reach for and open a normal drawer if you have memorized the push combination, but would keep out children and casual snoopers. Something like that wouldn't be high security because the number of combinations isn't very large, but for quick access it would be great. Just thinking.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The one I posted about earlier could fit that description but they really aren't designed as a drawer safe. The small one might work, just check the measurements.

Also the V-link that CY posted would be a high quality choice, and it doesn't need batteries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also taught my kids not to touch things that can hurt them. Also keep it on a shelf or desser. I do not want to have to unlock my gun when someone is in my house.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A gun is either on me or it's locked in the safe. Except when I'm in bed; then the safe door is open.

When I wake up I lock the safe.

My kids did a LOT of things I told them not to. The Grandkids though are perfect Angels.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I also taught my kids not to touch things that can hurt them. Also keep it on a shelf or desser. I do not want to have to unlock my gun when someone is in my house.
I never worried about my kids and guns, but I was not always sure about the capabilities of their friends, and/or other young visitors to our house. Now I have grandchildren and great grand children to worry about touching stuff they shouldn't. Children have a natural curiosity about things around them, and often want to touch things they are not supposed to touch.
For use in the bedroom, I bought an electronic digital safe from Harbor Freight. It is a .37 cubic foot safe. It will hold two or three hand guns, but only one lives in it all of the time. Quick to open, and keeps little fingers away from the pistol that lives there. Cost with 20% coupon was about $24.00. They also have a digital security box that will fit in a drawer. It is around $60.00. It did not seen to fit my situation.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have a Gun Vault beside my bed. Don't recall the model but it has room for two guns. I put keys, cash and other items on the extra shelf. There is a size bigger than I have. I wish I had bought it.

Mine has an internal light, a shock alarm and an alarm that goes off if someone puts in a wrong code too many times. Just remember to replace the batteries yearly. I think you can run it off AC too. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The first bedroom container I bought was a basic Stack-On drawer safe from Amazon, It was big enough for my SD pistol and a few odds and ends, but I just couldn't figure out where to put it. In the drawer, or on the dresser - very obvious and not that secure. Probably good enough to keep the grandkids out though.

After struggling with "do I want to spend that much"? I finally bought a SpeedVault SV500 http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/speedvault.html/. They can be attached to anything solid in an inconspicuous place. They are available with either an electronic key pad, or there is a biometric version. Mine is electronic and with a few quick key strokes the drawer drops and my pistol is avialable. I hang a small flash light from the mount and I'm very quickly ready in the event of an emergency.

It may not be for everyone - it holds just one pistol - that's it. Not everyone is comfortable with a battery operated lock. There may be other reasons some people might not like it, but I'm really happy with mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts