Beating the P32 v P3AT dead horse

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    This subject has been hammered to death on KTOG but, I'm on the fence & would like to beat this dead horse in a way that might circumvent owner bias.
    Of those who have the P3AT & not the P32, how many of you either have doubts about your decision or wish you had chosen the P32 instead? Why?
    I'm quite familar with the ballistic performance of both cartridges.

I will pose the same question in reverse on the P32 forum. :)

2. Karle

Karle New Member

Jan 1, 2011
    personally i debated the 32/380 myself and my decision was based on costs.......

.380 target ammo while expensive is still cheaper than .32acp ...same for performance SD rounds.....

3. Golf_Guy

Golf_Guy New Member

May 29, 2009
    About a year ago I had the same dilemma. During the process I also threw the LCP into the mix. After reading many comments on this forum I went with the P3AT. Never a problem, never looked back completely satisfied

4. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I have the P3AT and love it.  It's actually 1 of my favorite guns to shoot but we always want more.  I just keep thinking if I like the P3AT, the P32 would be lighter (only 1.7 oz difference but I'm thinking summer carry) & have less recoil for the range.
    I already have bigger guns for home defense & when conditions warrant something more.  It gets me pondering why not go as light as possible without dropping down to a .25.

5. ksmoose

ksmoose New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I bought the P3AT , my son got the P32, that way we could compare. I loved the .380, didn't think recoil was much. My son thought it was too much and loved his .32, it is up to the individual. I think the PF9 is worse than the P3AT, it is up to you.

6. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I could rent a P32 at the range for comparison. :-/

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Two P3ATs with no doubts about my decision visa vi the P32. Didn't even consider the P32, I wanted/needed to pocket carry and the choice came down to the Kahr PM9 (PF9 did not exist then) and the P3AT. I cut a wood block to the dimensions of the PM9 and tried it in a pair of my pants (Dickies work pants) with the smallest pockets. Really wasn't a fair test because I did't smooth anything on the block of wood but its poor fit is what led me to choose my first P3AT.

BTW, recently got a PM9 and it fits OK in most but not all of my pants pockets. The P3AT fits great in all of my pants front pockets.

Bill K.

8. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    I never considered the P32. I figured the 380 was a stretch as it is for defense.

9. MMcE

MMcE New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I have a P3AT and never carry it.  I have large hands and it is uncomfortable to hold and hard to shoot.  I can be accurate with it at 7 yards if I concentrate - a lot.  I also have a PF9 that is with me every day.  It is easier to shoot, aim, and hold.  There are rare occasions when I will put the P3AT in my pocket, but for the most part it sits in my safe and goes to the range with me.  I can not imagine any advantage to having a smaller gun.  At least not for my big hands.

Mike

10. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I had a P32 before the P3AT came out and was very happy with it, 7+1 and the slide locks back on a empty mag. When the P3AT came out I picked one up, and never looked back. I do miss my P32 though, 'loaned' it to my sister-in-law years ago. I didn't feel anymore under gunned w/it than I do with the 380

11. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I just bought a P3AT, and I like the gun, but I am finding that I would like to have a P32, and that I am second guessing myeself on the purchase. My findings is the P32 is a slight bit shorter, a tad lighter, and holds one more round. I dont know that the 32 has that much more power than the 380. On the other side it looks like on Gun Broker the p32 has a lower price than the P3AT. (And I dont know why.) The plus side is I think that 380 ammo is a tad bit easier to come by. If anything it gives me an excuse to buy another gun.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It doesn't. The 32 cal is a little lower velocity than 380.

13. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    I went to the gun show with every intent of buying the P-32. When I saw the two together, I chose the P3AT simply because it's more powerful.

I'm planning on adding the P-32 at the next gun show.

14. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    The dead horse has been thoroughly beaten and I have concluded that P32 owners love the P32 and P3AT owners love the P3AT. I fall into the latter category but still have a P32 itch that I had hoped to scratch by getting my fiance a P32, but she has informed me that it will be HER P32. Guess I'll have to get 2 of them. Not sure where I'll get the money since I couldn't even afford layaway right now. Maybe next year. One thing I've decided is I'm not willing to part with my P3AT to get one.

15. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I started liking my P3AT a lot more when I got my 9 round mag. What a difference!

16. senatorpjt

senatorpjt New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I was always leery of the .32ACP because of the issue of rounds getting hung up on the rim in the magazine. I don't know how much of an problem this really is in practice, but I've heard it mentioned before. Why take the chance just to gain one more round of a less powerful cartridge?

17. gazedrop

gazedrop New Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    P3AT, for its more powerful round, though I don't carry. More because it's a little jewel with some kick!

18. OneBulletDan

OneBulletDan New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Bought my P32 for personal carry and used it as such until the P3AT came out. Bought the 380 and carry it every day. Showed it to my brother, and he bought one a day later. Showed it to a friend, and he had one within the week.
    The 32 sits on the end table next to my lazy-boy, just in case I`m in my jammies when the bad guys come through the door. There`s a P11 about three steps away, just in case the 32 doesn`t slow `em down fast enough.
    The 380 is a bit minimal for defense, but one in the pocket beats the 45 left at home.