Bear sighting

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by zeke, Aug 23, 2010.

1. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Yesterday I went to my sisters farm to set up some trail cams.  The farm has a small creek that runs through it in a small valley, most of the hay and corn fields are planted on the slope and top of the hill on the north side of the creek.  

I set up the camera's around 6 pm then spent some time visiting with my sis and her husband.  They and my oldest nephew (18) had gone skydiving for the first time that day.  My sis wasn't planning on jumping but changed her mind when they got there, she had to go buy shoes for the jump, as you can't do it in flip flops.  They all seemed to enjoy the experience, not sure she would do it again but my nephew would love to go again.

About 7:45 pm I went back to the field to watch for any deer coming out.  I sat at the end of a small patch of sweet corn that extended into the top hay field about 75 yards long and 50 yards wide.  The field is planted with hay on the top, a long strip of field corn planted where the hill starts to slope down, then a strip of hay, then a strip of sweet corn, then another strip of hay along the treeline of the creek.  From where I was sitting I could see the top hay field and parts of the hay fields between the corn.  

The way the field is shaped it's about 600 yards to the woods at the other end of the field, where I was sitting, and the bottom hay field is only about 350 yards long.  I didn't see any deer come into the field, and was about to head back to the car, as the light was fading fast.  I scanned to my right again as saw a big black object.  

I watched the bear as it slowly walked across the field into the corn and disappeared.  Only got to see it for 5 to 10 seconds.  The distance was probably some where around 500 yards, I've seen deer at that distance in the field before, I got the impression it looked much larger than the deer.  With low light, and a long way off I can't say for sure but I think it was a pretty good sized bear.  Looked at my watch when it disappeared into the corn, it was 8:30.

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    It should be interesting to see what those trail cams capture in the next few days.