Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to say I used to love going to Bass Pro for accesories and other stuff but today was my last day I will ever go to them. I decided to get a holster for my S&W Shield. I unloaded my gun and put it in my pistol bag. I go look for the holsters I like and bring everything to the gun counter. I tell the salesman I want to try these holsters for my gun and I will like for him to check and make sure is clear. He askes me how did i got thru the front door without getting a gun lock from the greeting person. I told him no one told me I need it a gun lock. He kinda got mad and told me there is a sign in the front that says so. I explained the person it wasn't my intent to do so but since he was so rude about that i actually have a conceal weapon permit and the gun was concealed when I came in. I'm not trying to make a big deal, I really had either miss the sign or it was small. He tells that it don't matter if I have a permit or not I need to have a lock on it. I told him he was incorrect, I can actually carry my firearm as long it is concealed by FL law. Now the store can have their own policy which is fine but you can't legally try to do anything about it unless I show the firearm in a rude or careless matter. They can only kick me out.

So I told him if he can help me out with the holster if not I will be more than happy to leave. So he reads the holsters package and he tells me that is not listed there is not going to work. I told to please try since I was almost positive it will fit. The gun actually fit the holster. I never put my hands on the holster or firearm. Next thing I was told that he was going to put a lock in my gun and the person by the front door can remove it. No problem with me. So he comes back with a big oversized lock and there was no way I can try the gun in the holster. I mention to him that he didn't gave a chance to check the tension of the holster or to at least try it. I was told I have to buy the holster and try it out outisde in the parking lot. If it doesn't fit I can return it and try again. Are serious? So if I want to try 4 holsters I have to buy them all and then go outside and return the ones I don't like? I mean he had check the gun and it was clear. I'm in front of him and I got the holsters I want to try. According to him that the way they do it. So I thank him and told him it will be last time they see me in a Bass Pro again. Same explanation in the front when they were removing the lock. I can't bring a firearm into the store regardless of premit or not.

It really surprise me that a store that sells firearms and hunting stuff will have this kinda of service towards gun owners. I could understand if i bring the firearm loaded and i reach to handle it to them then yes I can see that kinda of attitute. I went to Gander Mountain and some LGS and they have no issue as long as the gun is check by them and i'm in front of one of them trying the holsters out. No matter what it seems the responsible gun owners are the ones getting crap all the time...

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Carried my CCW into the Bass Pro in Springfield Mo. If they had a sign at the front door, I didn't see it. No person standing at the entrance that I remember. I did not have a reason to remove the gun from concealment while I was in the store, so I did not get the "informative" lecutre that jayta98 received. Like jayta98, I don't understand a store policy like this from a hunting, shooting, fishing, outdoor store.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
What sighn??? Maybe i did'nt see it cause i was beging the wife for a new boat on the way in.

I always try my holsers after i get back in the truck, if i don't like it i'll make the wife take it back in!!!:eek:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I didn't had the wife to make her go back in.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I've never seen that sign at any Bass Pro I've ever walked in.

Now the Cabelas here in KCK has a sign that all firearms must be checked in except for concealed guns on your person. Even then, the guys that work there say that guys regularly walk up and hand them their concealed handguns.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
No signs at our Bass Pro here in Denver. I carry there all the time (and everywhere else as a matter of fact). Gander Mountain has a sign saying all guns must be checked at the front counter, but they specifically exclude CCW permit holders from that requirement (says so right there on the sign).

I've never drawn my gun in a store to check holster fit though. I can understand why they might get antsy about that. They have many customers, and not all of them will be firearm-friendly.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Can't fix stupid... Not you the store clerk.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
The Bass Pros in San Antonio and Austin do have signs on the front doors that guns (in a carrier) and even bows, need to be checked in. I don't remember if there was an actual sign on the doors, or if it was simply white lettering on the glass, but it was very visible.

CHL holders don't need to if the only pistol they have is their CC weapon. If using the range, a concealed weapon needs to stay concealed until you're at your shooting station. If in a pistol bag though, they do get the 15 Lb trigger guard attached.

The only time I tried a holster there was for an XD. I brought the holster to the counter and asked them to try it on one of the guns in their display and the salesman didn't give me any flack at all about it.

There has actually been a lot of threads about gun shops not wanting people carrying in the stores. Seems like most are due to insurance.
IIRC... Either a Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, or some other big name Sports store had an ND incident with a Rifle or shotgun that was supposedly checked at the front door, but went off while checking/demonstrating a problem in the gun department, so... :eek:

Seems like you got on his bad side with the unlocked pistol and it all went down hill from there.

So... Which holster worked for your shield?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Bass Pros in San Antonio and Austin do have signs on the front doors that guns (in a carrier) and even bows, need to be checked in. I don't remember if there was an actual sign on the doors, or if it was simply white lettering on the glass, but it was very visible.

CHL holders don't need to if the only pistol they have is their CC weapon. If using the range, a concealed weapon needs to stay concealed until you're at your shooting station. If in a pistol bag though, they do get the 15 Lb trigger guard attached.

The only time I tried a holster there was for an XD. I brought the holster to the counter and asked them to try it on one of the guns in their display and the salesman didn't give me any flack at all about it.

There has actually been a lot of threads about gun shops not wanting people carrying in the stores. Seems like most are due to insurance.
IIRC... Either a Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, or some other big name Sports store had an ND incident with a Rifle or shotgun that was supposedly checked at the front door, but went off while checking/demonstrating a problem in the gun department, so... :eek:

Seems like you got on his bad side with the unlocked pistol and it all went down hill from there.

So... Which holster worked for your shield?
I believe it was one for a glock 26.

Is funny this whole thing about concealed, i don't see women having their purse checked in or ask if they have a gun in it. So to me a bag or range bag imeets the concealed requirement since it can't be seen and I have it in my person. I agree if im going to use the range or buy accesories for that gun it should be checked in. I'm not picking on women but majority of them carry in their purse and nobody asks them or checks in their purse. So what's the difference between a purse, a bag or range bag? to me none they all acomplish the same.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Is funny this whole thing about concealed, i don't see women having their purse checked in or ask if they have a gun in it ... I'm not picking on women but majority of them carry in their purse and nobody asks them or checks in their purse.
Did they ask you if you had a gun or check your bag out of the blue? You said YOU TOLD THEM that you had a gun and wanted to pull it out to check holster fit. That's totally different than the random inspection of women's purses you allude to above. You weren't asked to submit to a random search either.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did they ask you if you had a gun or check your bag out of the blue? You said YOU TOLD THEM that you had a gun and wanted to pull it out to check holster fit. That's totally different than the random inspection of women's purses you allude to above. You weren't asked to submit to a random search either.
you are misinterpreting two different points. what im saying is that they only pick on the people that have a range looking pistol gun bag or rifle at the front entrance. If i just want to carry my gun in that type of bag they don't allow me to. They have to put a gun lock to it. What im referring to is that a range bag is similar to a mens or womens purse. It conceals the firearm.

so their policy is to check all firearms but they don't ask for any other type of bag or purse. I don't know what they would do if I was ask and i told them i have one in the bag and refuse to put the gun lock. my guess will be that they wont let me in.

Anyway I called bass pro corporate and filed a complaint. They are going to investigate the issues. they were not happy with the whole idea about me having to buy the holster and go outside to try it.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
you are misinterpreting two different points. what im saying is that they only pick on the people that have a range looking pistol gun bag or rifle at the front entrance.
Oh, sorry. I must have misunderstood. I didn't realise that they stopped you and searched your pistol bag at the front door. I thought it wasn't until after you got into the gun department that your issues began. I'll try to read more carefully next time. :eek:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, sorry. I must have misunderstood. I didn't realise that they stopped you and searched your pistol bag at the front door. I thought it wasn't until after you got into the gun department that your issues began. I'll try to read more carefully next time. :eek:
well they didn't I was never asked about a firearm because my bag is kinda small and i had it under my armpit. I think they didn't noticed it. My point is if I bring a firearm in a range bag they are going to put a lock on it because of the obvious aparance of the range bag and they are going to wonder if there is a firearm in there. If I say no to the lock they don't allow me to bring it in.

But I can have a bagpack or a purse and they don't even bother because it doesn't look like a range bag. So the store policy is out the door in that case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a holster for my Springfield at Gander Mountain. I didn't show it but had it on me.

I don't know how they would have handled it if I had wanted to use it to try out the holster, but the guy helping me boasted that he used to be a cop and could tell if someone had a weapon. Then when I found one I thought I would like, he offered to go get a Springfield out of the case so I could see if it fit. Works for me, as was said, what he don't know....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a call from the store manager yesterday. They got the complaint from corporate and was looking for more information. He was trying to narrow done to how was the guy that did it. I didn't grab a name but told him the date and time. He was going to investigate. He apologized for the issue as I should have been allowed to try the holster. He also told me that they don't check range bags. I told him that everytime i have a range bag i had been ask to put a gun lock. He told me he is going to check into that. He offered me to personally help me out if I decide to come back. I told him that i'm not interested to come back and that they need to train their employees in the rules and how to provide costumer service as I'm not the only person that had a bad experience. I appreciate that he called but im not coming back to bass pro no more.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I work at the gun section at a Big R in colo-nasty-rado...bring your gun in empty and try all the holsters/cases you want ... not a problem...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Meh...their prices were horrible compared to the academy here... all I could do was walk around shaking my head at how overpriced their stuff was and wonder why people would actually shop there and how it was even still open... It isn't even like cabelas where they have a lot of different stuff, its all crap and Tauruses...

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I think I feel a "RUT ROH" coming on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts