Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am t rying to figure out what I would have to have equipment wise to start reloading, I dont have tons of funds to invest at this point so I was hoping some of you guys will have will have the experiance to tell me what I do need and what i can do without., I plan on only reloading 9mm Luger to begain with, maybe adding to that at alter date. I plan on using either once fired brass or if cheaper with out the tools I can buy new brass . I am also Intrested on any good books on the subject. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

MODS: If this is in the wrong place feel free to move it and sorry for the trouble.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Hey Taz,
Go to the accessories and look around. Several posts on this topic. Try that search button on the top of your screen, it is your friend. One thing that will be brought up in your search is that some ammo is more cost effective to load than others. 9mm is the worst. Not that it is not worth doing, but if you can reload for 14 cents, but buy new for 20 cents, you have a slim margin. I started my reloading (this year, so no expert here) on the high dollar stuff. Cheap .44mags are $.80, nice ones are $1.30. I reload the cheap ones for 22 cents, the nice ones for 28 cents. THAT is a margin that will pay for equipment quickly.

Look 'round, do some resurch, and then come back with some more detailed questions that you will get detailed answers to.

Take care,
Lop

BTW, I went "whole hog" bought a dillon and other nice stuff. I didn't want to 're-buy' stuff as I ramped up. I bought in January of this year and have loaded 1500 rounds. I've easily paid for my equipment. But again, I was working with .44mags, .45 colts, .454 casulls... stuff that kills you to have to buy retail.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I just happen to have an Excel spreadsheet I used to keep track of my reloading purchases. It is detailed to a fault (I am an engineer, and we tend to do stupid things like make spreadsheets of all our purchases).

If you would like a copy of this, PM me youe email address and I'll send it on it's way. I don't think there's any way I can post an Excel spreadsheet directly to the forum here. Maybe I can save it as a text file and then copy-paste. I'll see how that looks before I do it. This spreadsheet is pretty big (tracking not only the items, but their part numbers from various suppliers and their cost).

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I started with a Lee kit, you can always upgrade your press later. Paid $25 for the rcbs Jr2 i'm using now.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Hey Taz,
Go to the accessories and look around. Several posts on this topic.
Yep, reloading threads are maintained in the Accessories forum, where this one is headed. ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just happen to have an Excel spreadsheet I used to keep track of my reloading purchases. It is detailed to a fault (I am an engineer, and we tend to do stupid things like make spreadsheets of all our purchases).
I'm an Engineer also, but the spreadsheet was too low tech for me, so I wrote a program in PAL that I use to maintain inventory control of all my reloading supplies, as well as my firearms and some Utility features such as recoil calculation, obturation and a couple of other handy items.

It pays to keep track of what you've got so you never get so low that you have to pay top dollar for your reloading supplies. I believe in buying it cheap and stacking it deep.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Umm, I'm also an engineer, and I do NOT keep spreadsheets of my reloading purchases :)
I do calculate how much I'm saving per round whenever I buy components, but that's about it.

The Lee kits are a great (read: cost effective (read: cheap)) place to start. Turret presses will give you the most bang for your buck starting out since you can load single stage until you get used to the process.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
first i would get several reloading books to read up. then i start looking at used equipment. later you can move up to a dillon.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Yes, buy it. Start. Get thems feet wet. Holler if you have questions. All retailers sneer at Lee stuff, and every reloader I've ever meet has spoken highly of them. It must be a profit margin thing. Buy the set up. Get started. Be careful and keep notes.
Holler if you get stuck.
Lop

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I bought one of those 15ish years ago (different aniversery I guess) Still have it and still use it..works great never a single problem with it..I've added to it over the years..tumbler, turret press, ect,ect...no reason at all to get one of those overpriced setups...

Buy it, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I loaded up a shopping cart at Midway with some of the things I'd recommend for a starting setup. I don't know what caliber you plan on reloading first, so I just picked .38 special as an example. I included cases, bullets, primers and powder so that you can get a better idea of what the true startup cost would be. I am not saying that the bullets, powder, primers and cases I picked for this example are the best - I just picked some typical ones for an example of the components you'll need. NOTE: I would NOT buy my primers and powder online at Midway (or any other place online). You will note in the data below that there is a $55 HazMat fee included in the cost. Buy your primers and powder locally and avoid that fee. Just remember that the total price shown in the example below includes that HazMat fee. If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, you can buy a pair of inexpensive calipers for $5 - $10 cheaper than the ones I show below. But unless that Harbor Freight is very close to your house, you'll eat up that small cost savings in gasoline and time.

Also, I threw in two optional items that I think you will probably want. A digital powder scale and a powder funnel. The kit listed below includes a balance beam type powder scale, but I'll bet that you will want to replace that item very quickly. Also, the extra powder funnel is much better than the cheap one you will get included with the digital powder scale.

You will also need a sturdy bench to mount your press on. You can't just set those things on the kitchen table. They have to be bolted down to a sturdy surface.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help everyone. I would like to clear up one thing, I will be getting all the reloading item in stages as the pay checks allow. I would like to keep this thread alive as long as I can to document my experiances as I get into reloading so that it may help other people who may be intrested. I would also like to thank everyone who has helped me so far and anyone who will help me in the furture. I will keep everyone updated as the purchases start to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
You might also look at the one we have stickied top of page and contribute to it. That one will always be there. ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
you paid 109$, there on lee for 52$ to 65$ under closeout section. I bought the 24$ one myself "under closeout", just look in that section.

you might want the lee hand press too!

Leeprecision.com

where you bought it, that photo showed just press only, maybe you get more? If not you would pay 45$ more.

I bought this one for 24$, it holds 2000 primers before you have to dump it! I put small piece of wood on bottom, and then clamp it to counter when I need it. I do all the rest setting with lee hand press.

I gotta have bottom photo lee press, don't want to stand while I do 400 reloads.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
That $24 lee C press is ok for really light work, my buddy broke the linkage on his. He gave it to me, i've got my little dandy powder measure in it. It makes a rock solid powder stand.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
I gotta have bottom photo lee press, don't want to stand while I do 400 reloads.

Nothing against the Lee Hand press, but I have a stool for my bench. Actually 2, just in case somebody wants to watch. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts