Barrel Speed Bump

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Jan 5, 2011.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

Earlier today I was cleaning my HC P3AT and for the first time, for whatever reason, decided to inspect the cleaned barrel with a magnifying glass. In one of the grooves, about ¼” down from the muzzle end, I see what I’ll describe as a little speed bump. The bump doesn’t go all the way across the groove and it is not so high that it comes up to the adjacent land. It is definitely not leading! I’m thinking that maybe it is something like a tiny puddle of extra HC coating, is that possible? I have hundreds of rounds through this gun without any issues. I don’t think there is a safety issue but I’ll of course give Kel-Tec a call to see what they have to say. What say you?

Thanks for your input,
    Bill K.

Update... Good News Bad News

Good news...

SERVICE COMPLETED: 1/26/2011

COLOR: Black   FINISH: HC

ACCESSORIES OR PARTS RECEIVED WITH FIREARM
    Mags: 0 Trigger Shoe: 0 Case: 0 Belt Clip: 0 Lock: 0 Sling: 0 Grip Ext.: 0 Lanyard: 0 Plus 1 Ext: 0
    Night/Bravo Sights: 0 Muzzle Break: 0 Compact Forend: 0 Laser: 0 Stock Ext.: 0 Deflector Handle: 0 Other: 0

Service Description: Warranty yes
    Police/Military no

Service Performed:
    __ __
    Replaced frame utilizing original serial #
    __ __
    Repaired or replaced magazines
    __ __
    Replaced grip and/or mag catch
    __ __
    Replaced internal parts
    __ X__
    Replaced slide and/or barrel
    _____
    Chamber serviced
    __ X__
    Polished feed ramp
    ___X__
    Test fired
    __ __
    Replaced or repaired safety

Other: Replaced slide and barrel
    Service Notes: Replaced slide and barrel as a courtsey

Bad news...

Watertown, CT, United States 01/28/2011 2:18 P.M. Emergency conditions beyond UPS' control.
    01/28/2011 7:15 A.M. Out For Delivery
    01/28/2011 6:42 A.M. Arrival Scan

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    If the gun shoots well I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty picky about things so I think I would take a dental pick and see if I could remove the bump. I don't think it would be worth replacing the barrel either way but that's your call.

CJ

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks for your reply. This bump is not something laying on top so I believe attempting to remove it with a pick would just result in scratching the barrel.

I did just finish calling Kel-Tec, a women who spoke to me said that the fellow who could answer my question was out of the office and would I please send them an email/message. I sent a communication, with the particulars, to Kel-Tec off their contact page. On submittal there is a message about waiting 2-3 days for a reply. I've got other guns I can carry - even another P3AT - so I can easily wait to hear back from Kel-Tec.

Bill K.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Got an email response today from Kel-Tec...

Bill Kxxxx,

I don’t believe there is a reliability issue with your barrel but without seeing it I can only guess.
    I would recommend returning the complete slide /barrel assembly to us for inspection.  

Warranty Service/Repair (General)

Should there be some difficulty with your firearm and you are the original owner, please return as followed; A Packing Slip must be included with your firearm providing your Name, Return Address, Phone Number, E-Mail Address, Model, Caliber, Serial Number, Brand and Type of Ammunitions used, Difficulty Experienced, Number of Magazines enclosed, and any included Accessories. Kel-Tec will not be responsible for any item that is was not originally offered by Kel-Tec or the return of any item that was not listed on the invoice and confirmed by Kel-Tec.

Warranty claims (in writing) and the firearm concerned should be delivered (transportation charges prepaid) to:

Kel-Tec CNC Inc.
                           Attn. Service Dept
                           1475 Cox Road
                           Cocoa , FL 32926

Transportation and insurance charges via U.S. Priority Parcel Service for return to owner will be paid by Kel-Tec if claim is covered by warranty.

Kel-Tec will not be responsible for defects resulting from careless handling, unauthorized adjustments or modifications, defective or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, abuse, unreasonable use, ordinary wear and tear, or theft. Blued, Parkerized, and Hard Chrome Finishes are not covered under warranty for ordinary wear and tear. All warranties will be limited to repair and replacement ONLY.

Thank You,
    Customer Service
    1-800-515-9983

5. Tractiongrips

Tractiongrips New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Bethlehem, GA
    A burr left from the rifling process? I wonder if the cutting tool came out at an angle and jumped a bit on the side left in the barrel as the tool was exiting. It's just a guess, but with it being that close to the muzzle, it would seem like a possibility.

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    A small burr that got hard chromed over sounds like a possibility but then I know next to nothing about machining and coating a gun barrel.

Shipped the top end out to Kel-Tec yesterday. Don't understand why they wanted more than just the barrel, any guesses? Anyway I'll post to share with you what Kel-Tec has to say when I get the pieces back next week. ;D

Bill K.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    A small burr that got hard chromed over sounds like a possibility but then I know next to nothing about machining and coating a gun barrel.

Shipped the top end out to Kel-Tec yesterday. Don't understand why they wanted more than just the barrel, any guesses? Anyway I'll post to share with you what Kel-Tec has to say when I get the pieces back next week.  ;D

Bill K.
    [/quote]

Update... Good News Bad News

Good news...

SERVICE COMPLETED: 1/26/2011

COLOR: Black   FINISH: HC

ACCESSORIES OR PARTS RECEIVED WITH FIREARM
    Mags: 0 Trigger Shoe: 0 Case: 0 Belt Clip: 0 Lock: 0 Sling: 0 Grip Ext.: 0 Lanyard: 0 Plus 1 Ext: 0
    Night/Bravo Sights: 0 Muzzle Break: 0 Compact Forend: 0 Laser: 0 Stock Ext.: 0 Deflector Handle: 0 Other: 0

Service Description: Warranty yes
    Police/Military no

Service Performed:
    __ __
    Replaced frame utilizing original serial #
    __ __
    Repaired or replaced magazines
    __ __
    Replaced grip and/or mag catch
    __ __
    Replaced internal parts
    __ X__
    Replaced slide and/or barrel
    _____
    Chamber serviced
    __ X__
    Polished feed ramp
    ___X__
    Test fired
    __ __
    Replaced or repaired safety

Other: Replaced slide and barrel
    Service Notes: Replaced slide and barrel as a courtsey

Bad news...

Watertown, CT, United States 01/28/2011 2:18 P.M. Emergency conditions beyond UPS' control.
    01/28/2011 7:15 A.M. Out For Delivery
    01/28/2011 6:42 A.M. Arrival Scan

8. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Not to worry they will bring it in Monday!

9. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    This is not a guess.
    They want the slide to make sure a different barrel engages the locking surface of the ejection port and headspaces properly.

Now, this is a guess.
    Maybe they want to put the top end on another receiver and shoot it to see if it functions properly too.

rc