Barrel slapping frame rail!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by AirbornePayne, Oct 1, 2008.

1. AirbornePayne

AirbornePayne New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Hello KTOG. I really wish my first post wouldn't be about a problem but unfortunately it is...

Friday the 26th I purchased my KT NIB. After 29 rounds fired without fail, the barrel has been contacting frame. I saw no other postings about this and wanted to share. I expected wear in all areas except A & G.

The gun dealer nor anyone I personally know has seen this occur. KT payed for the return home by UPS. Shipped today.

From everyone's kudos to the service department, I believe I will be quickly satisfied and back to the range shortly!

(this post has been modified)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    FWIW it looks pretty normal to me. Apparently it worked O.K. for you too.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

Nice looking combination park/green.  
    as far as your concerns, I don't know what to say.  If you are not happy with what you have, you will never be happy with a KT.

the photos show minimun break in has only occured, even though you didn't clean it nor lube it prior to shooting.  

I don't feel repeating the normal recomendations on how to use these indications to aid you expediting break in is what you want to hear

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Tell the rail to slap it back!!

Welcome to KTOG!

5. AirbornePayne

AirbornePayne New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome. The barrel was winning. Awaiting the judge's decision.

6. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    I have to agree that most of that looks like normal wear and tear to me? Other than the hammer interface on the top of the slide?

7. AirbornePayne

AirbornePayne New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome, compliment, as well as your time spent on the board. The FAQs and other posts/resources you have compiled aided me in my decision and what to expect. I am quite happy with my purchase.

On the fluff and buff pages (and elsewhere) there are numerous warnings not to meddle with the aluminum frame. This set me to be concerned about this wear enough to return it.

After more critical reading tonight, I clearly see "10. If your barrel has been gouging the frame as in the picture, you need to sand the area just enough to eliminate the contact. Or sand the barrel to eliminate the contact and just smooth the frame." http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

An answer to this effect would have been infinitely more helpful than relating that you gut tells you that I am just looking for an excuse to bash your CCW of choice.

So I guess they will just sort this out and everything will be peachy.

Pleasure to meet you.

8. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    From the picture I can not tell that you did not clean it or that you did not lube it so I don't think that has any bearing on your problem.
    I think your problem is more in the groove on the barrel than on the receiver rails. Mine the groove has some chatter marks from the cutter used to cut the slot which I think is just a few thousandts oversized. I am keeping my eye on it and so far I have not seen any real damage from it.

Good luck and welcome to the nut house.

9. Welocme to KTOG ABP-

As Barney Fife has been known to say.........NOTHING to see here folks.....lets move along.