Barrel Polishing question...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CavMedic, Oct 25, 2009.

1. CavMedic

CavMedic New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I was reading somewhere that the barrel was submerged in vinegar for ten minutes to take off the finish of it so that you could have a chrome looking barrel and further assist your Fluff n buff. They said as long as you keep the barrel well oiled it would be fine. I have a parkerized barrel and was wondering if this is something I should try to do? Any ideas would be much appreciated, Im kinda new at this.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    As a point of clarification, do you really mean the barrel or do you mean the slide? I only ask because you mentioned wanting a chrome look and the barrel is mostly hidden.

Vinegar will remove simple bluing but I'm not  sure it will remove parkerization. Bead blasting maybe.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The barrel on the blued model is in the white. It isn't necessary to do anything to it before polishing it. All you need is a dremel and some polishing compound and yes oil prevents it from rusting. And it can be polished to a chrome appearance.

With regard to your parked model, I would only strip it and polish it if I was having cycling issues that were proven to be caused by the barrel dragging in the slide. However, before I did that, I'd send it to KT to get a new barrel and then would only strip it if that barrel also caused issues. Of course if you don't like the look of the parked barrel then this is a moot point.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    After cleaning the inside of your barrel and the barrel lugs, put a little grease on the barrel lugs and wipe the parkerized barrel down with some oil. Then wipe off the excess with a clean rag.  Other than that, leave it alone.  There is no benefit in removing the parkerizing.  You paid for it - keep it.