Barrel Polishing question...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CavMedic, Oct 25, 2009.

1. CavMedic

CavMedic New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I was reading somewhere that the barrel was submerged in vinegar for ten minutes to take off the finish of it so that you could have a chrome looking barrel and further assist your Fluff n buff. They said as long as you keep the barrel well oiled it would be fine. I have a parkerized barrel and was wondering if this is something I should try to do? Any ideas would be much appreciated, Im kinda new at this.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    As a point of clarification, do you really mean the barrel or do you mean the slide? I only ask because you mentioned wanting a chrome look and the barrel is mostly hidden.

Vinegar will remove simple bluing but I'm not  sure it will remove parkerization. Bead blasting maybe.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The barrel on the blued model is in the white. It isn't necessary to do anything to it before polishing it. All you need is a dremel and some polishing compound and yes oil prevents it from rusting. And it can be polished to a chrome appearance.

With regard to your parked model, I would only strip it and polish it if I was having cycling issues that were proven to be caused by the barrel dragging in the slide. However, before I did that, I'd send it to KT to get a new barrel and then would only strip it if that barrel also caused issues. Of course if you don't like the look of the parked barrel then this is a moot point.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    After cleaning the inside of your barrel and the barrel lugs, put a little grease on the barrel lugs and wipe the parkerized barrel down with some oil. Then wipe off the excess with a clean rag.  Other than that, leave it alone.  There is no benefit in removing the parkerizing.  You paid for it - keep it.