Barrel nut extension

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by BJK, Aug 8, 2020.

1. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    All I really want is a barrel nut extension to act as a false muzzle (or a barrel crown) to take any bumps that would screw up the real muzzle. What a shame KetTec doesn't make them maybe 1/4" longer to fill the function they fill now and the new one of protecting the muzzle. What I really don't want is to add a great deal of length to the shotgun and be forced to remove the barrel nut just to access the mag tube.

Does anyone here have a solution?

TIA

2. Gliderguy

Gliderguy Member

Jan 28, 2020

3. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Does it require removal to access the magazine for cleaning? An inch longer I can tolerate.

4. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Unless you're prepared to have a machine shop lathe turn and thread a short piece of steel heavy wall tubing, you're best bet is to buy a muzzle attachment of some sort and cut it off to the length you want.

Ideally this would be something inexpensive or it would cost more then having a machine shop make you an extension.
    Unfortunately, it looks like most muzzle attachments are $50.00 or more, so you might be much better off having a machine shop make one for you.

If you have a machine shop make you one you can probably choose whatever material you want like stainless steel, carbon, or possibly even aluminum.

5. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I contacted MCarbo and that looks hopeful. Fingers crossed. I hate to reinvent the wheel and making them by the hundred results in a better price.

6. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    If they won't, I'd talk to a machine shop to see what they'd charge to make one.
    This would be nothing more complicated then a threaded ring or bushing.

All that's needed is to drill or ream a piece of heavy wall tubing or a section of bar stock, thread it, and cut it off to length.

That's bread and butter to a machine shop.

7. Gliderguy

Gliderguy Member

Jan 28, 2020
    I have the large howizer70 muzzle brake from Hi tech and I can get the magazine cap off without removing that. you have maybe 1/4 inch of clearance above the barrel cap so you can loosen the cap a turn or so, pull up on the barrel to get back that fraction of an inch of clearance, loosen another turn... ect and you can get the magazine cap / spring and follower out without removing the barrel attachment. It is a little fiddly but it is not something that takes a degree in metal puzzles to accomplish.

8. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Chris told me that they'd keep me in the loop. We'll see what happens. I'm in no hurry. If it takes too long I can still do the machine shop.