Barrel not threaded?

Discussion in 'RFB High Efficiency Rifle' started by NoFunsNoMore, Dec 29, 2018.

1. NoFunsNoMore

NoFunsNoMore Member

Jul 9, 2017
    I purchased a used RFB carbine about 2 months ago and after a few times shooting it, I've realized not only is it missing the birdcage, but the barrel end isn't threaded. Anyone know what gives?

2. amstel78

amstel78 Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Can you post a picture? Only thing I can think of is that someone chopped the barrel down on a hunter model and didn't bother to rethread the barrel, or KT made some state compliant models that didn't have threading to begin with.

3. rb288

rb288 Active Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I'd be willing to bet the previous owner chopped the barrel down.
    Is the barrel crowned or just flat?
    That might be a good indication.
    You might want to measure that barrel to make sure it is at least, 16", and not an "unauthorized" sbr.
    The standard RFB carbine is 18".

4. ronmar

ronmar Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    They made a canadian export compliant model. Couldnt be threaded for a muzzle device and cannot be chambered in a nato/military caliber to legally export... Read the ID label, If it says it is chambered for 308 vis 7.62 then it is a canadian model. Someone there screwed up and they released a few of them that were sold in the US. They made an effort to recover/exchange them once they realized what happened, but I suppose not everyone turned theirs back in because of the unique factor...

5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the SUB 9 the production numbers for export might be pretty low. 200 in the case of the SUB 9. My Canadian S9 will be the last Kel Tec I part with.