Barrel hood question.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jagman, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Jagman

Jagman New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Hello Guys, FNG here, been reading the forums for a month and find them very informative and I must say you have a great bunch of members here, very civil - not like a lot of gun related forums I frequent.
    Anyway, I hope you dont mind me jumping right in with a question but I have the fail to extract problem on my P-3AT
    After 300 rounds I have only fired 2 full mags without a failure, I've used different ammo and did the F&B, keep it well lubed, I also polished the whole barrel (was parked) polished the feed ramp and buffed out the chamber, but still it will not extract from the chamber during firing. When it fails I have to drop the mag. and the barrel closes on the enpty round which ejects with authority at this point every time.
    I read in the Faqs about a nodification to the barrel hood, this seems like it would cure my problem, everything else seems fine.
    I'm hoping someone will expand on this mod.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rob aka Jagman.

JFB wrote:

If the extractor has a good grip as indicated above, it is then the barrel tipping too far down and the upper chamber of the barrel forcing the spent case into the next round.  The recommned fix for this is to remove some metal from the chamber in the barrel hood area to give the spent case more room during extraction.

2. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Flyer (aka SuperFlyer on KTOG) first posted this mod over on The KTrange in a Members-Only section. When Flyer's domain (flyerwires.com) went away, so did the pics of the mod linked in his thread. I went as far as searching the WayBack Machine for the pics, but they are not recoverable. I removed the damaged thread (and several others with similar problems) and put it in "storage" in the hope the pics might be recovered someday, or substitute pics might be created. If that happens, I will restore it with updated pic links.

I actually performed the Barrel Hood Mod, though on the advice of rcmodel, it was less aggressive than the one Flyer originally posted. It made all the difference in my 1G P-3AT. If I get the time I may be able to take some side-by-side pics with my unmodified barrel for comparison.

3. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    sounds to me like an extractor issue....first make sure it is snug...i would call kt and get a new one before i started modding the barrel...gpr

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Actually, a minor hood mod is a good idea IMO. You won't hurt it if you just break the sharp edge of the hood. I agree with Flyer, the work is delicate and best done without the Dremel.

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
  6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I broke down and took the pics, then restored the old thread. It is now available HERE to see, but you have to be a member to get to it.

The pic wilson posted is the more extreme edition, like Flyer first performed, and removes too much metal IMO.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I think our own "JFB" has posted that he has used some kind of self-adhesive foam tape on the frame (the aluminum part, you know) directly underneath the barrel lug so that the barrel will not drop down further than necessary to unlock from the slide during recoil.

Some P3-ATs have suffered from a groove in the left side of the breech area which allowed the case to move too far to the left, away from the extractor, for proper extraction. Kel-Tec replaced the slides and barrels. I once saw pics on this site of the problem.

Using a spent case, slowly retract the slide while checking that the extractor is still firmly grasping the case.

I think Kel-Tec generally replaces the extractor, leaf spring and the "frankenbolt" as the first step when pistols are brought in with this problem. If that doesn't work they then dig deeper to diagnose what's wrong.

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Look at some of your fired cases carefully.

If they have scrape marks on the sides, and possibly a flattened spot where the barrel hood is digging into them, the Hood Mod will improve things a lot.

All you need to do is round off the sharp edge and polish it.

Should you decide to do the taper inside the chamber section of the hood, just a little dab will do ya!

In any event, do not taper any further into the chamber then the back edge of the rest of the rear of the barrel or you will reduce case support.

I think it is a worthwhile mod, even if you don't have ejection problems.
    It reduces friction greatly, and that right there is a very good thing!

rcmodel

9. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1145152844

Post 3 in the link above

10. Jagman

Jagman New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses, I will gently round off the hood manually at work tomorrow and test it before the week is out, I'll post what happens.
    Great site!
    Jagman

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Yeah, just round it off and see if that gets it working - it is far easier to take metal off than put it back on if you go too far. LOL

12. Jagman

Jagman New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I am a happy camper.
    Today I modded the hood - I wrapped up some fine emery cloth and put it in a drill press and lightly worked the barrel in an arcing/sweeping motion to get a nice round contour, afterwards I used finer grit paper ending at 1500 (yes, I am anal) followed by a buffer from hell and finally a dremel with a soft wheel and compound for the final polish.
    I also did the top part of the barrel chamber that is exposed through the ejection port area of the slide because on my pistol which was a parkerised version, the park was scuffed off in the middle of the top exposed area where it was rubbing on the slide.  I did this mainly for cosmetic reasons but it hopefully should reduce a bit of friction when the barrel and slide come into contact. I used a flat piece of glass to sand the roughness out of chamber top and gradually used finer paper again till it was time for the BFH (buffer from Hell)
    Gave it another good cleaning afterwards, left work and went to the range  :)
    I had 1 box of 50 American Eagle 95 grain brass cased round nosed ammo and it never gave 1 hiccup.
    I was surprised at the accuracy to be honest, for such a long heavy trigger its not bad at all, I did wear the skin off my left thumb though(Im a lefty by the way) I think my trigger finger finger nail was ripping up my thumb through the trigger guard! I was using a death grip for fear of limp wristing.
    Got to work on a different grip for this one!.
    So all I can say now is Gentlemen, thankyou.
    Heres a few pics.
    Jagman.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Nothing like a happy ending! Congrats Jagman. :cool: