barrel blank for 22 TCM

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by roscoe, May 22, 2017.

1. roscoe

roscoe New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I really like the SUB 2000, but since reading about the .22 TCM, I have had fantasies of getting one rebarreled. Has anyone tried this? Can one buy barrel blanks? A .22 TCM SUB 2000 would really be a formidable and concealable PDW.

ral357 likes this.
  2. EPMARSHALL

EPMARSHALL Member

Feb 13, 2017
    I'm not an engineer thought I had to clean up several of their messes. The SUB 2000 is a blow back design and it is designed to handle the pressures of the 9MM and .40.

If they thought it was capable of handling other calibers I'm sure they would offer it in them. I Think the advances in self defense ammo in both calibers make them viable choices.

Evan Marshall

3. gusfinley

gusfinley Member

Aug 6, 2012
    SLC, UT
    As an engineer, I love that quote!

.22 TCM looks like it is 40,000 PSI, same as .357 Sig.

.357 Sig Sub2Ks were attempted by not successful.

If you pay someone enough money (and probably sign a waver) they would probably make you a barrel.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. roscoe

roscoe New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Hmm - maybe I have an overly simplistic understanding of the blowback design, but I would have figured a stronger recoil spring and/or slightly heavier bolt would be enough. What was the problem with the .357 Sig attempt?

I guess I always figured KT just always has too much on their plate for experimenting with new calibers that might not stick around. But .22 TCM and the SUB2000 seem like a perfect fit.

ral357 and OlderMan like this.
  5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    .22TCM? Then what you going to do to get a mag to feed it?

Just get me a kit to do LRBHO and I will be in Sub2000 Nirvana

6. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    IIRC .22TCM is a necked down 9mm cartridge, so it would use a 9mm magazine. It's kind of like the 357SIG using .40S&W mags.

7. FLT

FLT Well-Known Member

It would be a very interesting package to say the least, but I fear it would be cost prohibitive just as the 357 sig was.

8. gusfinley

gusfinley Member

Aug 6, 2012
    SLC, UT
    .22 Tcm is a shortened .223 case loaded with a 22 Mag bullet. It reportedly feeds well from 9mm mags and using a 9mm bolt and extractor.

9. roscoe

roscoe New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    The round was designed to fire from a 9mm magazine. The original incarnation of the .22 TCM pistol is a 2-caliber 1911 - it comes with a 9mm barrel and a .22 TCM barrel. You just change the barrel and extractor and away you go!

This is why I thought it would work in a SUB2000.

10. meistermash

meistermash Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Nope. The Ria 22tcm is fed from 38 super length magazines. Para magazines. So it will be too long for all regular 9mm magazines. As gus said, the tcm is a shortened 223 case or a shorter 221 fire ball. I have one. Now there is a short version designed for glock mags 22tcm9r or something to that effect. It shares the case but the bullet it squished way down to fit the oal of the magazine. It would be difficult to time a blow back for either due to the initial high pressure then little remaining energy to cycle a bolt. The Ria is a locked pistol not timed blowback like these sub guns. Or so all I think. Eta, you also change the action spring to a very much lighter one for the tcm and can leave the tcm extractor in.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  11. BringOnTheZombies

BringOnTheZombies Member

May 4, 2011
    http://thearguy.com/products-page/di-gas-operated-barrels

Apparently this guy makes a di 22 tcm barrel. I've tried calling a few times.... never answers. I also emailed him about converting the subby to 22 tcm. I never got a reply.

I also contacted modern weapon systems BC they had a 22 tcm carbine project to see if I could obtain a barrel. That project lost funding and is dead in the water.

I sent chad enos at kel tec a message when he was live on Facebook. He said that would be a neat gun.

I've kind of exhausted all the search criteria I can think of.

If it is to be it up to us. The 22 tcm has the same twist of a 10/22 barrel and chamber reamers are available. Could sleeve the barrel inside a 9mm or 40 cal.
    Or
    Take the barrel off the cheap 22 tcm bolt action and contour the barrel to fit in the sub 2000 barrel lock.

The 357 sig sub 2000's did work. I think a few people have one. Not very many were made.

12. SDF880

SDF880 Member Supporter

Feb 7, 2011
    I think KT sticks to what sells well. Would there be a market for 22TCM or 357SIG? I think a few folks would buy them. KT already has 22MAG products I always thought that might be interesting for the SUB 2000!

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    just get me a LRBHO 9mm please 22TCM is made by Armscor. Although the pistols are impressive, right now there is limited availability/brands of ammo of ammo.

14. EPMARSHALL

EPMARSHALL Member

Feb 13, 2017
    I had a P11 in .40 S&W-the recoil was abusive and beating the gun to death. The whole reason I traded for the Sub 2000 was because I got a Glock 22 as part of the deal. It folds in my lap top bag and I can take it anywhere, including church. Church is the only place I go on a regular basis that has a significant number of people present and as an old Detroit PD SWAT Sergeant it worries me. Same mags both guns with a .357 snub in a pocket holster just in case I'm having a really bad day.

15. OlderMan

OlderMan Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I think the 22 tcm in the KT sub 2000 is a fantastic Idea. a LOT more range and Power in a very light weight cartridge. One could carry as many 22tcm as 9mm. The velocity out of a 22 in barrel is around 2800 fps. It might still be 2600 in a 16 in barrel. LOTS OF POP. I for one would Love a semi auto .22 tcm

16. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Actually this looks like a viable option. The pressures are at 36000, 9mm NATO is 36500. Pressures aside, contained in the chamber barrel, the recoil impulse, as I understand it, is what tears the blowback sub up. The 22tcm has a light recoil impulse. Perceived demand is the stumbling block here I believe. If KT thinks there is a market they will build it. A 22TCM variant would prove to be popular option IMO. It would be a poor man's PS 90 with 60 percent more energy. Pushing a 40 grain slug at 2800 fps while The 5.7x28 pushed a 28 grain slug at the same velocity from carbine length barrel.
    Put me on the list to buy one:D:D

17. OlderMan

OlderMan Member

Jun 9, 2016
    100% agree............... imo wayyyyyyyyy better a bullet than the 5.7x28. Heck the 22 tcm is from a 223 shell cut down? I wonder what happens to a 9mm Necked down? Even to 5.mm shooting 30-35 gr bullets. One of the biggest advantage is Volume of 22tcm bullet and weight. Lighter than a 9mm with a Lot More ftlb of energy. Yes less than a 5.56 but LIGHTER... 5mm in 9mm shell..SPEED KILLS. MASS X VELOCITY squared. I'd even like a 22tcm 5mm9 in AR form.. Again in a shtf situation More Range ,More Energy , Less weight. a 40 gr is 75 gr less than a 115gr 9mm. Thats 5 GRAMS less per round. 5,000 grams is 5 kilos or 11 lbs. a thousand 9mm is about 25 lbs. Take away 11 lbs that makes 14 lbs. BIG DIFFERENCE. 9MM SHELLS would run in glock mags!!!( I have lots of glock mags.!!!)

18. Gaujo

Gaujo Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Google Novem 9mm bolt. That guy has lots of barrels.

OlderMan likes this.
  19. OlderMan

OlderMan Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Nope its a chopped .223.5.56 Brass... necked for .22. will feed in glock 17 mag!!! Grin

3wbdriver likes this.