Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to handguns and this forum so i'm not sure this is the right place to ask,but during 2 trips to the range to practice my shots seem to go low and left.I am right handed.Any suggestions how to correct this?What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same problem sometimes. Shooting low and left is an indication of a trigger pull problem.

First, get a finger extender or extended magazine so your ring finger has a firm hold.

You probably already know how to hold a pistol, but I'll elaborate.. I've seen so many do it wrong.

Shake hands with your pistol and get it as low in your hand as possible. Open your left hand as if grasping a beer, turn it in 45 degrees and place it over the right. Your thumbs should be both pointing at the target along the frame. With a larger grip, the palm of your left hand should occupy the space not covered by your right fingers.

No cowboy, cupping under with the left hand is not proper.

Now, lock your wrists. Push with your right hand while pulling with your left extending your right arm. 40% of the holding pressure should be on your right hand.

Use the tip of your finger on the trigger (between joint and tip actually) and act like it's a pendlium (sp?). This is where your problem is.

Keep your eye on your front sight. Squeeze the trigger in a steady fashion and don't worry about breathing. As in golf, follow through on your squeeze all the way back consentrating on the sight and holding steady.

The KT has a very long trigger pull.

Grab some AZoom Snap-Caps and practice at home, you'd be suprised how much that helps. Bring a friend to the range and have him load your KT and you fire. His choice on snap caps or live rounds and he shouldn't tell you which. This will help with recoil anticipation.

Fire as if there is no recoil... eye on front sight.. sight on target... smooth trigger pull.

You'd be suprised how accurate the P3AT is. I'm new to this and am hovering around 1.5" from the bull at five yards... with the occasional 5+ inches lower left.

Good Luck!
Bits

Oh, one more thing... Correct bad habits quickly!!! If something else starts happening you want to get training... or come here.. and get advice. What happens is as you shoot, you develop memory in your muscles and spinal chord through repetition. Breaking that memory is hard. Do it right and after a while you won't even think about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips,Bitswap.I just ordered a mag extension today,I figured that I might as well get something that serves 2 purposes.I'm not sure if I locked my wrists,I'll be more aware  next time.Also I was putting my left hand on my right wrist,and once on top of my right hand which resulted in a bloody thumb when the slide hit it.I'm looking forward to trying again,the right way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i use my range bag for support at 15 yards it has improved my hits on target. this gun is to used up close . if you can try shooting at 3 yards point and shoot. not as easy as it sounds. practice . up close shooting takes much practicre.

·
Registered
61 Posts
xcop1105 said:
i use my range bag for support at 15 yards it has improved my hits on target.   this gun is to used up close . if you can try shooting at 3 yards point and shoot. not as easy as it sounds. practice . up close shooting takes much practicre.  
That is a great idea!!!

I read a post where some guy on this board will wear out snap-caps practicing his draw. Probably not a bad idea doing one handed shoots. I mean really, how long do you have if someones on you?

I'm starting to debate whether the laser I got is worth it... I shoot better without it.

My right thumbs knuckle did start to blister a bit after 50 rounds, so I got a glove. Still waiting for the hogue grip. A glove may help as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I completed my CCL class,I have to say I felt a bit ......out of place,with my little P3,everybody else had big guns.But I did about as well as anyone,better than some.The mag extension helped as did the tips I got here.The gun is still working well,except I had trouble chamgering the first round of Santa Barbera that is available at the range for $3.50 a box of 25.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.