Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 2nd gen P3AT for about 6 months or so and really haven't had any issues with it except for the first round not chambering without having to bump it with my hand to get it to rack fully.

I emailed Kel Tec customer service to tell them about it and they said, send in the whole gun. So I laid out $40 to overnight it to Kel Tec and a month later got it back. I was really excited to get it back as I had heard from others that once it is serviced by Kel Tec it is usually a solid perfomer. Since it had only one minor flaw to begin with, I thought it would be a real keeper and would be to the point that I would begin to actually carry it.

Boy was I wrong! I opened up the box only to find that there was a photocopy of a document with some highlighting saying that there was a known issue with racking the first round. It instructed that when you rack the first round, pull the slide all the way to the rear and release it to successfully rack the first round. I have done that from the first mag I loaded and do so with all of my handguns so I was a bit put off with that.

Then I read the handwritten slip that said, polished ramp, test fired. Okay, so I had polished the ramp myself previously, but maybe I didn't polish it as well as they did, so perhaps everything is good now right?

Wrong! I took the gun to the range the next day and loaded up three magazines and started to fire. The first round racked just fine which made me happy, but then I started experiencing other issues, five out of six shots would fail to eject! I would have to hand rack the slide after each shot to be able to shoot. In the previous six months I had the gun, I have never had this problem and suddenly it happens on almost every shot?

This whole experience is quite a disappointment to me. I contacted them before I sent in the weapon describing the problem, if they had a sheet that details this as an issue, why not direct me to that rather than instantly telling me to send in the whole gun? Now I'm worse off and $40 poorer for the experience and have a gun that I don't trust enough to actually carry.

Any suggestions on what else I should do? I'm tempted just to sell it and move on, but my previous experience (before it was serviced) was great and I don't want to give up that easily...just hoping someone here can offer some advice, thanks!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
check the button head screw for the extractor to ensure it is tight. Were the FTExtract with the same type ammo you previously did not have problems with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll take a look at the extractor screw. Anything specific I need to look at? Can it be overtightened?

Re: the ammo, yes, the exact ammo I was shooting befor with no problems..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It will strip if you try to overtighten it.

Use a 2mm allen key if it moves at all with moderate pressure it was loose if it is loose you will need to put some blue loctite on it to keep it for loosening again. just a little bit on the threads by the head.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
You sent a perfectly good functioning gun back to Kel-Tec just because the first round was hard to chamber? ??? All of them are a bit hard to chamber the first round unless you really pull it back with authority and let the slide fly back hard plus giving it a shove also if it needs it.

If you don't want to keep re chambering the first round when you're target shooting then don't shoot it empty. Shoot 6 shots and leave one in the chamber and then put another magazine in and then resume shooting. ::)

·
Registered
996 Posts
My P3AT doesn't like to chamber the first round of the Winchester White Box truncated cone bullets. As long as you carry with one in the chamber for a self defense
situation, then you should be fine.

+1 on not over tightening the screw. If you strip it, you won't be the first one to do that ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rook said:
You sent a perfectly good functioning gun back to Kel-Tec just because the first round was hard to chamber? ??? All of them are a bit hard to chamber the first round unless you really pull it back with authority and let the slide fly back hard plus giving it a shove also if it needs it.

If you don't want to keep re chambering the first round when you're target shooting then don't shoot it empty. Shoot 6 shots and leave one in the chamber and then put another magazine in and then resume shooting. ::)
Yeah well I know that now but when I contacted keltec cs, they didn't mention it was a known issue or I wouldn't have bothered. I don't have that issue on any other handgun I own so I thought it was a problem. Now I know better. I'm going to the range tomorrow to see if I can get the thing to start ejecting. Thanks for the feedback and help. Should have come here when I first had the problem instead of after it got worse :(

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not sure if it even matters -

But - just wondering - is the round hard to chamber JUST when the mag is full? Or do you get the same difficulty when the mag has 5 or 3 rounds in it? Like if you start with an empty gun - put 3 rounds in the mag - and then try and load one in the chamber manually.

IMO - if it only happens with a full mag then you just need to put a few hundred more rounds through the gun - its not fully broken in. You could polish the underside of the slide - I can never think of what that thing is called that pushes the round into the chamber - but the top round in the mag rests against it - and this part also rubs against the top round as the slide moves back after shooting. Use some 600 grit wet dry and a few drops of oil - then polish it with a dremmel.

Also could be a weak recoil spring -

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
bbman: You have been given some good advice. 1st rd chambering is a fairly common issue, especially in new guns. It can be overcome. This is a very small, light gun and there is not a lot of margin for error. Some need a really good sling-shot action to chamber that first round.

Anything that impedes the slide moving forward and chambering the round is suspect. Start by polishing the feed ramp to a mirror finish. Then move to the hammer interface under the slide. Also polish the slide rails. All of these areas, if not smooth enough can keep that first round from manually chambering the way it should. Though doubtful, it is technically possible that a bur in the mag tube is keeping the follower from bottoming out, thus putting extra pressure on the hammer interface. ZBill's question regarding whether this happens with a down-loaded mag is very pertinent. If it chambers more easily with less rounds loaded (it pro baby does) any of these factors is suspect. More likely is a combination of these factors is at play.

Usually, shooting enough rounds through the gun can get you there. IMO, doing some polishing is a better way to go. It is faster, gentler and kinder on the gun and familiarizes you with the pistol very quickly.

My opinion? Fluff & Buff... Do a little or do a lot; but do it:

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm

This is no Glock. Proper lubrication is a must. This includes some grease in a few select areas illustrated here:

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

Regarding your new FTE issue, that is a bummer. KT does test fire a mag or 2 before returning so I would hope it was extracting before they shipped it out. As was said, the prime suspect is the extractor screw. Some do occasionally loosen - some never seem to budge. If it has loosened even a quarter turn, that can cause FTE. CHeck that first and carefully tighten if need be. If you choose to use blue locktite on the threads, just a bit on the top threads is ok. Some seem to need that while others don't.

Another factor that can impede extraction is a rough chamber. Polish the chamber. That is included in the Reliability Prep links above. The smoother the chamber walls, the less resistance to extraction occurs. Also, check the claw on your extractor for any gunk or even chips that could allow it to slip off the rim.

Finally, if heaven forbid, you can't get the gun running right call KT and tell them what happened. See if they will send UPS out and pick it up on their dime. BTW, when you include a shipping receipt and ask for reimbursement, KT will send you as much as $20. OTOH, if you insure for $300and ship as machine parts to CNC, Inc... it goes ground for under $10.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

Good luck! 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
z71bill said, "But - just wondering - is the round hard to chamber JUST when the mag is full? Or do you get the same difficulty when the mag has 5 or 3 rounds in it? Like if you start with an empty gun - put 3 rounds in the mag - and then try and load one in the chamber manually."

Hey bill, I went through four mags to test this out, two with practice WWB ammo and two with Corbon hollow points and they all chambered perfectly whether the mag was full, 5, 4,3,2, or 1 round in the mag, no problems...but I appreciate the comment, helps to eliminate one possible issue so I can look at the others..

TxCajun, thanks for the great links. I did a full fluff and buff when I first got the gun, but will take a look at it again. I did try to turn the screw on the extractor spring and I can't get it to budge either direction. I didn't try really hard, but enough that it should have turned if it was loose at all..so that seems to be okay. I'll follow the rest of your advice and then put a few boxes through it to see if the condition improves...I just want to be able to trust it to the point that I can carry it and have confidence that it will perform if I ever really need it to!

Thanks again to all for your help and advice, I'll try to post a response in a few days to let you know if I'm able to get it working right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 2 P-3ATs', both have problems chembering the first round. I have done the fluff & Buff to each of them and each time I use and clean the guns I usually find some more polishing to be done, never shiny enuff...lol.
I called Kel Tec about the chambering problem, they advised polishing the breech face. I removed the extractor and firing pin and did the polishing. It may have helped a little, if I really snap the slide back it will chamber about 50% of the time, however if I leave my hand on the slide and follow it thru with a little additional push, it works fine. Just a matter of getting used to it. I, too, had FTE problems untill I had sanded & polished as suggested in the Fluff & Buff. Clean after use and lube well. Do not use any ammo that has anything but brass caseing. Haven't had a failure of any kind since, over 300 rounds through each of the guns.
Being aware, and used to now, of the first round chambering issue I feel comfortable with depending on them. Problem may improve with use...who knows...don't give up on the little buggers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.