Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my normal trip to the range today. I usually meed 3 other guys from work, their wives, and a friend there at least once a month. Three of us have a decade each of teaching people the safe, proper use of firearms, have quite a few between us, and have been known to take new people out, let them learn to safely shoot, and let them handle and shoot a large variety of firearms to find what best suits them.

Today was no different. We all met out there, with another co-worker and his wife who both have rifle/shotgun shooting experience (she helps out teaching shotgun instruction with The Boy Scouts) and wanted to try out a few different pistols before buying one.

We had been there, on the firing line, for about 20 minutes. They were on their 4th pistol, testing them out, when she wanted to shoot my Sig P238.

As I'd never seen her shoot before, I was standing about 10 feet to her Left and about 5 feet behind her, watching her shoot.

After the fourth round, the brass casing flew down her shirt and caught in her bra. Instead of reaching for it with her off hand, or putting the pistol down, before anyone could blink, she reached for it with the hand the pistol was in, pointing it across her body, to the left, and also turned to the left, sweeping me with the pistol.

Before I could say a word, she hooked her thumb on the casing and reached for it with her index finger, that was still through the trigger guard.

Yep. The fifth round in the gun went off. I looked down, looked at another co-worker there at the range (who's a volunteer fireman), and started shaking my head. When the round went off, she jumped, screamed, and immediately put the pistol on the table. Then I said, as calmly but as loudly as I could, "I've been shot and I need a cold range."

I limped over to the trunk of my car, got a roll of paper towels, surgical tape, and a tourniquet, then pulled up my pants leg (which was already soaked, from the shin all the way down with blood) to inspect the damage. Sure enough. I took a 380 round straight to the shin. I bandaged it, put on the tourniquet, told one guy there to pack up my stuff, put it in the trunk of my car, and have his wife drive it to the ER for me, and set out for the ER with the volunteer fireman, the girl who had shot me, and her husband.

The entire time I put on a brave face and told jokes to keep her from freaking out over what she had done. When we got to the ER, I calmly smoked a cigarette, walked myself through the front door, and explained to them what had happened.

Here are the results:

Yep... that's a Blazer Brass, .380 ball round in my left leg. They don't want to remove it, as it's not obstructing anything (we all weighed the risk of leaving it in place, as a .380 size piece of shrapnel that isn't doing any further damage, against removing it and running the risk of making things worse with cuts, staples/stitches, etc.)

To keep all my friends in good spirits and to let them know that I was okay, after leaving the ER, we all went to a local restaurant and ate. I then went to Wal-Mart (and kinda over did it there) with my father, Sag, and I then came home and cleaned the firearms that we used.

I'm now sitting here with it propped up, trying to figure out what piece of Karma was bad enough to hit me this time.

Cy

·
Registered
72 Posts
You handled yourself well considering the circumstances. And, yeah, that's gonna hurt like the devil tomorrow...

Hope the lady learned an important lesson, and it won't be a bad thing if you drill it into her head a bit to help it sink in. Not bad karma, just a bad day at the range, as you said. Next week will be better.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing good considering you just got shot. Things happen quick and as you know could have ended allot worse.
Now tell us what really happened. You reached for the brass and she shot you. :D

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
So much for .380 acp meeting the 12" FBI penetration standard. ;-)
It would have in a normal person, pirates are known to be difficult for a bullet to penetrate ;)

All joking aside I'm sorry to hear what happened but glad it wasn't more serious. Sounds like you reacted about as well as you could have and had the medical supplies to deal with it. I will be getting some more to keep in my trunk and/or range bag after hearing this.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Cy, I'm glad to hear that you're not pushing up daisies. ;)

Things could've been very different. At least you've got another story to tell your grandchildren.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
First I am externally glad you are OK... Or as OK as you get...
If I was closer I would tell you to let me know if you need anything.
Next time you need to make sure every one knows to keep the Berger Finger Off The Bang Switch!
I do not think bad Karma got you shot. I think good Karma got you only shot in the leg.
And the woman is dam luck she did not put one in her chest.
Now you will have to tough out some TLC from your lady.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Wow ... lucky, really! Could have been a lot worse. Sucks to hear you got hurt, but at least it turned out to be relatively minor compared to what it could have been.

Gotta agree with the above, though, that's some pretty sad penetration from a .380, especially being FMJ. If that's all the more an FMJ round will get, then JHP's out of a .380 ACP pistol must just bounce off the skin and only leave bruises! :D

·
Registered
845 Posts
That had to be scary! I don't think I would have been that calm .

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Man, I'm glad you are ok, or as ok as you are.
I've a few thoughts on this one. So, is she now the most careful shooter out there or should she be discuraged from futher shooting?
Did the round hit the shin? That would account for less than 12 inches of penetration.
Did the po-po file a report? Did she get any grief?
I am hoping you will take it easy for the next few days. Banging a bone hurts deep and heals slowly. There aren't lots of nerve endings in that deep, so the pain can be deceptive, but you did damage the machine, and should give it time to heal.
Really, you had to go to wally world after? Was that neccesary? At the very least, if you had to go, couldn't you have gone to Target?

Take care, and holler if we can do anything. You know we will.

Lop

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Glad your OK dude. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been near as calm...I'd have screamed like a girl...at the one who shot me. :eek:

Now ya got more street cred...just what a pirate needs. :cool:

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Hey Cy,
Sorry about the accident, and sure am glad its a leg wound, from your descript, it very well could have been much worse.

My initial thought was ,first- Im glad your gonna be OK, Second- ladies probably should wear clothing to the range, that are not coducive to this kinda thing happening.( I like really tight tops:))

It happens a lot with the brass down the shirt.

Man Im sure glad your gonna be OK.

Take it easy on that leg and listen to the docs.

Jim

Oh really third- I said why couldnt it have been his wooden leg.:D

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts
Glad you're OK.

As for the title of this thread...

Bad Day at the Range

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I do not think bad Karma got you shot. I think good Karma got you only shot in the leg.
A BIG +1 on this! If the round was as close to the tibia as the X-Rays look, a different round could have broken the bone, taken out some vessels, or all of the above. I'm rather surprised though, that they chose to leave the round in, which could set up some interesting infections. But then... You could get a Peg Leg to go with the patch! :D

And the woman is dam lucky she did not put one in her chest.
Or yours.

As Karma goes... It could have been much worse and I'm very glad it wasn't. :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, I'm glad you are ok, or as ok as you are.
I've a few thoughts on this one. So, is she now the most careful shooter out there or should she be discuraged from futher shooting?
I have a feeling that, if she returns to the range at all, she will be a VERY careful shooter.

Did the round hit the shin? That would account for less than 12 inches of penetration.
The round struck the shin (and I FELT IT!) and is actually still touching the bone.

Did the po-po file a report? Did she get any grief?
Report was filed, but the Sheriff Deputy only stuck around for maybe a minute and a half, while I explained what happened, and then asked if I'd like to press any charges. I said "no" and he signed off on the chart.

Cy

1 - 20 of 158 Posts