Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of 400 9mm reloads i had to scrap 103 for not enough neck tension.

When i seat the bullets the ones that go in real easy, i make sure i can't move the bullets by hand.

ALL the .FC. failed, most all the cci, blazer, some of the star line, speer, ppu.

I using Dillon dies, i did'nt put a taper crimp on them because i did'nt have to expand them.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Just curious, why don't you want to put on a taper crimp? You would be throwing away less brass if you did that. If you didn't have to expand your cases and bullets were inserting easily, could your resizing die be out of spec due to use and wear? I use Lee dies and I always have to expand just a tad to get bullets to go in easily. But this may depend on the bullets chosen - I use mostly cast lead or copper plated. Rarely FMJ.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bullets are rainier, they measure .355 on the money.

I'm thinking if i can push them in by hand it will really deform the bullets putting enough crimp to keep them from setting back .

My dillon die has'nt got any wear at tall. not having any problems with win brass.

I've had the same problem with rem brass using lee dies loading for the 38 and 45.
I'm also thinking if you don't expand you don't need to crimp, cause all your doing crimping auto rounds is making sure the flare is gone from expanding.

Got all the bullets pulled and am working on getting the primmers back now.

Brass is no problem got a big bucket full, pistols are a problem!!! Don't want to be shooting rounds i'm afraid that might be prone to setback.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Taper crimp will not prevent setback.
Proper case neck tension prevents setback.

It sounds to me like your sizing die is out of spec, or not adjusted down to the shell holder.

I don't know about Dillon dies, but the 9mm case is tapered.
If the die isn't adjusted down all they way, it isn't sizing the mouth enough due to the tapered case.

The second thing may be your expander is too big, if you used it.

But regardless, it isn't the fault of the brass if you had the same problem with FC, CCI, blazer, star line, speer, & ppu brass.

rc

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I,m really thinking they don't make brass like they used too. Thought Dillon dies were some of the better dies.

It's the brass. Been measuring, the fc cases are resizing to a id of .352-3, pressed a bullet into one with the smallest id of .352, could push the bullet with just my fingers!!!

Got ahold of some 45auto brass with a S&W head stamp that would'nt resize at tall, no difference in the id nomatter how manny times i rresized them.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
My friend and I shoot a lot of .45colt. We both have SAA clone revolvers (Uberti). I also have a Rossi lever action in this caliber (tube magazine).

I crimp. My friend doesn't.

He seems to have problems with high primers that occassionally jam in his revolver (I told him, "Well, fully seat the primers then!") Anyway, he gives me the high primer rounds to fire off in my rifle. I loaded up a couple of them the last time we were out. I took the first shot, then luckily I looked at the second round as it was chambering. I don't know why, maybe someone from up above was watching over me and sent the thought my way to look inside my receiver. The second round was really set back due to it's non-crimping status. A good 1/4" setback I'd say. Needless to say, I don't fire any more of my friends rounds!

Of course, .45colt is a revolver round, so they get a roll crimp rather than a taper crimp. Roll crimps definitely hold the bullets in place. I don't know the story behind taper crimps, but I would assume that any kind of crimp would help bullet tightness as opposed to no crimp at all.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i roll crimp all my revolver brass, can really make a big difference on the way the powder burns. And keep the bullets in the cases.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Roll-crimp physically bends, or rolls the brass into the bullet crimp cannulure or crimp groove.

Taper-crimp just squeezes the case down on the bullet.
But, bullet jackets, and especially lead cores are softer then brass.

So the case compresses the bullet & core during taper-crimping.
Then the brass springs back more then the bullet core when it comes out of the taper-crimp die.

.352-3, pressed a bullet into one with the smallest id of .352, could push the bullet with just my fingers!!!
That right there just doesn't make sense to me.

If the I.D. of the case mouth is .002" - .003" smaller then the bullet?
There is no way you could push it in the case with your fingers.

rc

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah their sizing to the same id as the win brass, there's no way i can push the bulles in the win brass, but i can with the fc brass!!!

I can't push them into the case but after i press them in i can move them with my thumb and index finger.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I do LEE with 40,9,380. I use crimp. I adjust so that I have to expand for bullet.. I expand all calibers. The LEE seat die can be adjusted to crimp a lil'... But I have crimp dies. I have shot all cals without crimping, but I like crimping..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Taper crimp will not prevent setback.
Proper case neck tension prevents setback.

It sounds to me like your sizing die is out of spec, or not adjusted down to the shell holder.

I don't know about Dillon dies, but the 9mm case is tapered.
If the die isn't adjusted down all they way, it isn't sizing the mouth enough due to the tapered case.

The second thing may be your expander is too big, if you used it.

But regardless, it isn't the fault of the brass if you had the same problem with FC, CCI, blazer, star line, speer, & ppu brass.

rc
I use range pickup exclusively and pitch nothing, I use it all, regardless of brand.

I agree that it has to be the dies or their adjustments as I've never seen this kind of problem in my years of reloading.

Also, you need to use a taper crimp on these.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts