Backstop Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Aug 1, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Quick question. I'm working on a portable backstop for some target shooting the p3at. I was just going to use a couple of sheets of 1/2" plywood. Any suggestions on construction?

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    [​IMG]
    a nice portable (ish) one

[​IMG]
    my big one

[​IMG]
    Smaller version about 1.5x2 ft

[​IMG]
    the filling is "pit waste" from a concrete plant. I've fired big guns and littel at these and notihg goes thru. The front boards do need to be replaced on occasion.

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Do you mean a backstop to stop and contain the bullets or more of a target stand? I'm not sure how you would make a backstop that would stop the bullets and still be portable.

CJ

4. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Excellent question and I see that I need to clarify this. Where I will be using this, I'm not too concerned about the round traveling very far beyond the target. Really, what I'm building is a portable 'target holder'. The plywood is just to staple targets to and slow down the round a bit. I don't really need to completely stop the round, and I need to be able to easily transport this (pick it up and take it home). Of course, if I can construct something that dang near stops the round safely and is still easily portable then all the better.

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Since you don't have to stop the bullets, just use a piece of easily replaceable cardboard duct taped to two 6' long wood poles. Using plywood is too hard to replace, and the key thing is you will need to replace it often. So, make it cheap and easy to replace. Use cardboard thick enough to resist the wind but not more.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you only need a target support, how about those wire frame signs you can pickup along most roads  ;)
    [​IMG]

7. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    If you want to slow it down and still be transportable, why not make a frame of 2x4s with plywood on either side? Then you could easily replace the plywood when needed and even make it without a top so that you could fill it with something to stop the bullets if you needed to.

8. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I made a couple out of 1/2" PVC. Basically, it is just a rectangular frame with legs. I tape a piece of poster board or pink foam insulation to the frame and tape/staple the targets to that. The whole thing weighs about 3 lbs and breaks down to fit easily in the trunk.

I made a couple of different leg lengths for the shooters in my house.

This is a light, versitile design that is cheap and easy to build. If one of the pieces is hit, it is quick to replace (if so needed).

9. ryr8828

ryr8828 New Member

Dec 27, 2009
  10. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks much for all the info. This is what I was lookin' for.

11. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Election yard signs. They're wire frame and free in large numbers immediately after the election.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Election yard signs.  They're wire frame and free in large numbers immediately after the election.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    [/quote]

Whoa.... You mean I gotta wait 'til AFTER the election?? Dadgummit. :)

13. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    +1

These things are great, very portable and a renewable resource.

14. Blueline

Blueline New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    A fave of ours is going over to the local grocery chain and get freebie melons, oranges, etc that have gone bad. We perch them on a couple of worn out tires as target stands. The fruit gives a VERY satisfying display when hit, and we throw the tires back into the bed of the pick up and drive off.

The critters that visit after we shoot love the free fruit too!

Blueline