Back with P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MphsTiger1981, Jul 21, 2010.

1. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi,

I'm a (new) guy with a history of owning a couple of Kel-Tec pistols. I had a P3AT about 18 months ago, but sold it during the ammo shortage. I replaced it with a slightly used first generation P32. I developed some issues with the P32 and lost my confidence in it. Sold the P32 and last Saturday I purchased my 2nd P3AT to replace it for my deep concealment pocket gun. I had thoughts of considering the Elsie Pea, but I had a good experience with my original P3AT, so I trusted my instincts and went back with KT.

I took the new P3AT to the range on Sunday after the initial clean and lube. To my great satisfaction, the P3AT ran like a top. I experienced no problems whatsoever. Ran a full box of Remington FMJ through it, and a few rounds of Corbon 90 grain JHP. Everything worked just as it was designed to do.

I also want to express my appreciation for what a great website/forum KTOG really is. Even when I was experiencing trouble with my P32, everyone was very supportive, and offered their thoughts and encouragement, and and shared suggestions on how to remedy the trouble. It was greatly appreciated and was a very big part of why I bought KT again this time.  I personally think guys like Picatinny Pete and TXCajun should be receiving some sort of compensation for all the goodwill they do for these little guns.

Thanks!

Tiger

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Tiger,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm happy that your new P3AT is working well for you during the break-in period. :) You might still want to do a minimal fluff and buff on your P3AT such is polishing the feed ramp, and recoil spring guide, otherwise it sounds like you are already good to go with your P3AT. ;)

Best Wishes

3. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I love my P3AT. A great gun and a pleasure to carry.

I think you made a good choice with the Kel-tec over Ruger. I have nothing against Ruger, but it's just polished up a bit more. I like tools that work as they should, regardless of what they look like, and that's what I got with my 3AT.

First and foremost, I like the drop-free mag when you press the mag release. It pops right out into my hand. The LCP kind of sticks in there...not what you want when you are doing a tactical reload. I just want to get the empty or malfunctioning mag out and the new one in.

I also see no use for the manual slide lock. Had they made it a "last round" slide lock, they would have added some value to the gun.

Kel-tec made the P3AT, Ruger made it pretty.

4. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Many ranges require the slide be open (locked) during cease fires for target changes, etc or anytime the gun is not actually being used on the range. I think that is primarily why Ruger put the slide lock on the LCP.

Jim R

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Many ranges require the slide be open (locked) during cease fires for target changes, etc or anytime the gun is not actually being used on the range.  I think that is primarily why Ruger put the slide lock on the LCP.  

Jim R[/quote]
    That might be difficult with the P3AT then. lol I didn't realize that. Thanks for the 411. :)

6. Two_Guns

Two_Guns New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    I have had my P3AT for years and I trust it as much as any gun I have ever owned.

7. ejs54

ejs54 New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    >>Many ranges require the slide be open (locked) during cease fires for target changes, etc or anytime the gun is >>not actually being used on the range.  I think that is primarily why Ruger put the slide lock on the LCP.  

My local range has the same policy and they usually give people a hard time about how they hang their targets for head shots but they have never said anything about my 3AT being closed while not in use...which surprised me. Thankfully it sounds like they know their guns, which they should. I wouldn't expect to see anyone shooting this at a range where the targets are at a fixed distance where a cease fire is common but every place is different I'm sure.

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I guess if not having a slide lock ever becomes an issue, you could always insert a spent shell to hold it open like this.

[​IMG]

9. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I guess if not having a slide lock ever becomes an issue, you could always insert a spent shell to hold it open like this.

[​IMG][/quote]

Either that, or the little orange plastic piece that comes with the gun tucked in the chamber.

10. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That might cause even more problems at many ranges, including mine (especially if I were range officer at the time).  Hard to tell from any distance more a couple of feet whether it was an empy cartridge case, or a live round.  Might make some of us nervous.  Better to use a slide hold open with flag, which clearly indicates an empty chamber, and "flags" the gun as safe, in consideration of others.  

Jim R