Back to Cocoa - What to Check?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by SweetKnuckles, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SweetKnuckles

SweetKnuckles New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Sending my babies to KT for a bi-annual checkup and for the hammer block upgrade.  Sent the safe queen back along with my carry, only because shipping $ doesn't change much.

Carry has eaten easily a few thousand rounds, and lately has had some failures to extract, ...just not getting the shell out of the chamber. It's not happening too often, but a couple times in the last six boxes or so. No need to diagnose in this thread... but I wanted to know

While it's back in Cocoa, is there anything else I should have them check?

I remember their c.s. being really good, they'll probably proactively fix anything they see, or would it be wise for me to give a follow up phone call with specifics?

Thought I saw something about a short stroking hammer part replacement, but wasn't sure if that was for a different model.

Did a search on 'sending to kel tec' and didn't really find anything.

Thanks.

** eta: Just rec'd the pistols back after appx 6 weeks in Cocoa. All I have to say is KelTec for the win on customer service once again...all nice and refreshed - the short stroking hammer replacement was in fact the hammer block I sent them in for. Additionally, they sent both handguns back with new barrel and slide assemblies!!! :eek: Wow, never expected basically 2 new guns, but I'LL TAKE IT!
    ...thanks to all for the tips on what to have them double check!

2. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    OK, but I did diagnose it offline...

Anyhoo... They will fix anything they know about or see.

FWIW I have seen a few P-3ATs (and PF9s) with the firing pin channel at an angle, resulting in the FP hitting off to the side of the primer. Take a quick look at your spent brass to verify that yours is hitting in the center.

... TOAST!

GL

3. SweetKnuckles

SweetKnuckles New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks GL.

LOL @ the no need to diagnose comment...sometimes people just go sooo far off track, I just didn't want to head down that road.

Now it seems I've insulted people so they just don't respond! ;)

Kidding...Thanks for the input...I thought the KT CS dept would fix what they saw.

Remind me again though...is there some new hammer part for the P3AT 2nd gens?

4. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
  5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    They will inspect the pistol and replace parts as needed, then test fire it.  You should describe the issues you are having, what you have tried, different ammo, etc.  There is a new anti-short stroke hammer block.  I think they started using them on the line about early summer 08.  While they might, I'm not sure if they will change the hammer block as a matter of course.  I would add that request to my service note just to be sure.

P.S.  I think you needed a new extractor.  :D