Back Home

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by carmike442, Jul 11, 2008.

1. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Well I just had a visit from the big brown truck. 4 weeks & 2 days turnaround. The paperwork said they replaced the grip and polished the feed ramp and test fired. I don't think I got the falling off the block trigger mod. If I release the trigger one click the hammer only falls from half c0ck. Is that still the old system?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sounds like it is.  I asked KTWM what new parts were required for the new system.  Specifically, were there other parts involved besides the hammer block, or would a new grip (with hmmer block pre-installed) take care of the upgrade. He said:

Possibly they are using up the old stock in repairs on guns that were already equipped that way, I don't know.  If I ever decide to upgrade (doubtful) I will wait until the old stuff is all gone.

3. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    I wasn't sure since it only falls from half c0ck. Wish I'd thought to have specifically requested the new frame. Do you think if I called them they would know if that's what I got?

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The best we can do is speculate and my speculation is not a chance. I have a picture of big parts bins where multiple batches of parts are all dumped in together. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense with some of the stuff we have seen in the past.

-Scott

5. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    If I'd known they weren't going to upgrade it I would have saved the shipping charges and 4 week wait and just fixed it myself with a replacement grip.

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    What did you send it in for?

7. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    The hammer block pin walked out after several quickly fired mags.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Did you have any conversation with them about this or did you just assume they would upgrade it?

-Scott

9. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Did you have any conversation with them about this or did you just assume they would upgrade it?

-Scott
    [/quote]

I guess I figured they would upgrade it with the new trigger mod since it's a 4 1/2 year old 1st generation. The gun's age was the reason given to send it in instead of fixing it myself. The guy said that way they could check it out and test fire it.

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hmm... yea, I would guess that the service department may have a decent supply of 1st gen grips with the parts pre-installed. Until those run out, you probably won't see the new hammer block used in a 1st gen repair. Of course that is only a guess. :-/

11. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Yea, I guess I'm just disappointed I wasted shipping and 4 weeks for something I could have fixed myself. I've never been one to short stroke any of my KT's it just would have been nice to have the new mod.

12. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Aren't the grips the same for 1st & 2nd gen?

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Nope.  The grips vary slightly in front just under the muzzle.  The 2nd gen is shaped differently there to accommodate it's built in recoil rod catch (hole).  The 1st gen has that detachable recoil catch so it has a slightly different shape.  The 2nd gen grip will work on a 1st gen gun but there would be small gap there on either side of the recoil catch.  The 1st gen grip will not work on a 2nd gen gun as there is not room to accommodate the bottom front of the slide where the guide rod hole is.

I'm pretty much with you here.  I can't recall ever short-stroking the trigger on one of these so it is not a big deal to me.  The new P3AT I bought this past Spring has the old system.  I may upgrade it some day, but I'm not sure I care enough to mess with changing a hammer block or paying $30 for a new grip with the HB pre-installed.  Plus mine is a navy grip and I'm not sure they sell those.  I'm sure I could send the grip in, pay for the hammer block and they'd probably change it for free but that is a lot of trouble .  Maybe if I ever need to send them something else anyway...  :-/

14. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    I knew about the detachable recoil catch ( Lost it once when cleaning ) I just thouht the grips were the same. Now I know. Thanks

15. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm still a newbie to Kel-Tecs. How much different do the first and second generations feel when shooting them? Trigger pull, action, etc.?